Photo

Let's talk Yahoo's just-announced purchase of Aviate!

Started by Christopher Coleman ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jan 7 '14 @ 1:30 PM

wNVefKZ.jpg

Yahoo took to the stage at CES today, and one of the most interesting bits to come out of their presentation is that they have acquired Aviate, makers of the still in beta contextual launcher. Aviate's software is unique in that the launcher is designed to show you apps based on the time of day and your location, the mission being to always have the apps you need at that time easily accessible.

This quote is straight from the Verge liveblog, and is pretty much all we have to go on for the time being. What do you think Yahoo has up their sleeves?

Mayer announces Yahoo has acquired Aviate, which suggests apps to use based on your location and time of day. The company will use the technology to help personalize its apps and web properties, Mayer says.

UPDATE: The Aviate team has taken to their official blog to talk a little bit about the deal. First of all, the launcher isn't going anywhere. Aviate says that the product will remain the same, while getting "better and faster."

When we met with Yahoo, it was obvious how aligned our visions are. Yahoo, like us, is all about simplifying and streamlining users’ daily habits through intelligent and beautiful products. We see endless opportunities for how the two of us can work together. We can’t wait to take this next step.

Aviate is still in an invite-only beta, however for a limited time users can install from the Play Store and activate using the code YAHOO.

Check out the entire liveblog here from The Verge and Aviate's post on their blog right here.

dmmarck #2

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jan 7 '14 @ 1:33 PM

I'm sorta flummoxed.  On one hand, I get it--it can be stripped to use in other apps, particularly the contextual awareness.  

But that's very clearly a picture of the launcher (photoshopped too, silly home button).  Do they develop it and make it their "Facebook Home" equivalent?  That would be brilliant for Yahoo, IMO.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 9:51 AM

I'm sorta flummoxed.  On one hand, I get it--it can be stripped to use in other apps, particularly the contextual awareness.  

But that's very clearly a picture of the launcher (photoshopped too, silly home button).  Do they develop it and make it their "Facebook Home" equivalent?  That would be brilliant for Yahoo, IMO.

Yeah I don't understand the whole yahoo connection to this.. that would make some kind of sense though as to what you said with a "Facebook style" home. Aviate might be thinking it can't compete with the popularity of Nova or even Apex and that this would be a good direction to go in... But Yahoo? Do people even still use yahoo? If AOL buys Nova.. I quit :P

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 10:55 AM

Yeah I don't understand the whole yahoo connection to this.. that would make some kind of sense though as to what you said with a "Facebook style" home. Aviate might be thinking it can't compete with the popularity of Nova or even Apex and that this would be a good direction to go in... But Yahoo? Do people even still use yahoo? If AOL buys Nova.. I quit :P

XD I was thinking the same thing. Of all the companies to buy this, it was Yahoo? lol Maybe Yahoo bought it as some last-effort to stay relevant. 

If AOL did buy Nova, I'd quit too.

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 10:58 AM

Think about it. Yahoo was a household name before Google took over but we didn't migrate to Google because Yahoo sucks, we did it simply because Google offered more at a crucial time in the development of the Internet as we know it now. Yahoo can do whatever it wants to try and invigorate their brand and if it looks good, performs well and provides something new, I have no doubt they will find success.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 11:05 AM

Well to be fair, I thought some of Yahoo's services sucked.

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 3:06 PM

Marissa Mayer, though...

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #8

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 4:15 PM

This is strange; it works with Android and is in the Playstore  And then there is this HP printservice app that comes on the Nexus 5 even though I don't have a HP printer. It's just on the phone doing nothing for me except bugging me to install updates.  I guess it great for a lot of people that have HP printers though.

I wonder if Google and HP are working stuff out behind the scenes and if HP will become sort of a vehicle to spread more of Google's influence in the future.

Christopher Coleman #9

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 5:16 PM

Well to be fair, I thought some of Yahoo's services sucked.

Fine, but neither you or any of the rest of us regulars here represent the general public.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jan 9 '14 @ 6:54 AM

Nope, we do not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jan 9 '14 @ 9:18 AM

I am the public.

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #12

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jan 10 '14 @ 11:11 AM

I am the public.

No, you're the worst out of all of us. lol

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #13

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jan 13 '14 @ 3:01 PM

I am the public.

No, you're the worst out of all of us. lol

Defamation!

tacsig513.png

C Sab #14

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jan 13 '14 @ 4:02 PM

Fight fight fight.

stephanic #15

stephanic
  • 1 posts

Posted Aug 7 '14 @ 3:14 AM

Hi,

Yahoo Aviate become a popular launcher. The major idea of this app is, it creates the collection of user’s application based on different categories of activities. User can also pinch those collections manually according to your priority, and Aviate can propose suggestions to plug in collections.