Developer/ROM info

Started by Gman650 ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Gman650 #1

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 6:01 PM

As a generic question..

I'm looking through goo.im and other communities of ROMs for rooted phones... A question comes up in my mind: where do I go to get info on the developers or the particular ROM that I might be interested in?

For example.. I'm about to flash CM11 on my SGS3 from a developer that goes by the handle "aeroevan". His/her latest seems to be from 1/14/14. But other than saying "I'm downloading this because that's a cool name"... how can I tell where they stand in the development of this particular KitKat ROM? what are their current issues? what does it look like? basically.. "is this something I want over another developers version?"

I realize I can always go back to my current  setup (because like a good boy I WILL ALWAYS make a nandroid first)... but I crave info about what I'm going to do before I do it.

Any thoughts??

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 6:23 PM

Most popular where all the devs post their work is on a site called XDA. There's general discussion, but be fore warned participating on that forum will get you attacked by jerks who think they know it all and asking a simple question turns into belittling.. However, they are very talented devs and do know what they're doing, for the most part so it's an excellent source to grab whatever it is you need to download.

There's "original Android development" which is the pioneers of the Dev community who's work becomes what other devs work off and make into there own and then there's another link for "Android development" which is for every other Dev that's looking to contribute their work.. some may be better then others, I would go by the popularity of the thread, it's usually a good indication.. Or you could read through 100s of pages to see what's being discussed lol. The development forums are usually filled with a bunch of know it alls as well, so I would use the forum mainly for downloading and a more friendlier forum, such as this one ;) for discussion. The devs main/first/original post will include instructions, info, features and bugs.
This is for the Verizon Galaxy S3:http://forum.xda-dev...laxy-s3-verizon

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 6:31 PM

CM is always a popular choice.. A few others I remember and tried were Synergy ROM, Beans ROM by developer beanstown. Liquid Smooth is another good one. CleanROM is a good stock ROM. Paranoid is another good one.

You can find liquid, paranoid and cm in "original Android development".. I haven't tried anything other than those on the GS3. Then there's also AOKP but I forget if that ROM ever made it out of beta for the GS3.. I always remember it having bugs but if it is out of beta mode and now stable, that's another good choice.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #4

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 10:31 PM

So.. the meat of my question is how can I find out about them.. you gave some good recommendations, and for that I thank you...

however..

is word of mouth the only real way to research the developers and their wares?

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 10:49 PM

From what I know, yes. It's always been about reputation. Over the years you begin to learn who's who and who does what. Is it a trust issue you're worried about? Android and development has always been about giving to the community.. If someone was doing something wrong, they would quickly be flamed/exposed and most likely banned and diminished from deving ever again. The ROMs I listed above are all from well known devs and their work covers numerous devices, not just the GS3, so you'll get used to the names over time even if you switch devices. As for the other ROMs listed in those threads, I can't speak of because I never tried them so I can't knock them but worse case, their work may have bugs from inexperience but trust shouldn't be an issue on that forum if that's what you're worried about.. As mentioned, other devs would quickly flame someone for not doing the right thing and they would be banned.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #6

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 11:11 PM

Is it a trust issue you're worried about?

No.. at least it's not if I dont think about it too much. Obviously I'm loading someone elses work on my equipment.. never really know if the thing is phoning home or capturing keypresses. But no... my question is to find where people are saying something is pretty stable vs still got some/a lot of bugs.. maybe some screen shots. Maybe what I'm describing is more of a commercial presence that would never really be here in this type of development. I dont really know what I thought at first.

Leading into the stability of particular ROMs, I think I'm going to post a new topic as it seems you've answered this one.

Thanks again!