Photo

Goo.im help needed

Started by Gman650 ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Gman650 #1

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Jan 14 '14 @ 11:34 PM

You how many people put in many hours to make things that are fool proof? well.. then I come along and show them it might be fool proof.. but it's not sailor proof!

Goo.im...

Seems pretty easy on the outside... find the right platform and use the "compatible roms" feature to pick another flavor to try.. as long as you have a current nandroid you can always go back if something goes wrong...

Well.. I just tried 2 different roms and both failed the same way which really makes me wonder if it's something I'm doing.

I am currently running a cm-10.2 ROM... made my own known good nandroid... and wanted to try for a CM11 on my SGS3.

So I found the gapps-kk-20131119.zip, and cm-11-20140114... from aeroevan and got them on my phone. Went to flash roms, selected the 2 files, put CM11 above gapps, selected wipe cache/dalvik and wipe data and ran it. It booted to TWRP and while i wasnt paying particular attention to the output on the screen... it just popped back to the TWRP main page and sat there. No activity. I tried to reboot to system.. and it failed booting once and booted itself into recovery. I tried to manually wipe and manually install the 2 files above in TWRP but then it was shown to me that it FAILED. I had to reboot to recovery.. wipe and recover to my nandroid.

Well.. I thought it must be an iffy ROM. let me try another.. this time BeanStalk-4.4... and it did the exact same thing.

In my opinion.. again.. i must be doing something wrong. should I/how do I try this manually? should I be throwing in an extra boot sequence somewhere?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 15 '14 @ 6:45 AM

Sounds like bad downloads. Check the md5 checksum to make sure it matches before flashing. The dev will have a set of numbers next to or with the download called md5 which you use to match against the numbers associated with your download. There's apps in the Play Store that will check/match them for you, this way you know if it's a bad download or corrupted file. Here's a good app:https://play.google....tails?id=sa.afv

The fact that it keeps happening to you and with multiple ROMs sounds like it's something wrong on your part.. could be something going on during the transfer (if you're moving files from computer to phone).. might be the SD card is corrupted... If the md5 checksum matches and you still get errors, then you might want to try moving all files off the card so you can wipe and re-format the SD card. Then put back only the downloaded ROM files(s) and try flashing again. If everything works, put back the rest of your files, pics, etc.. If something goes wrong after that, then it could be one of those files are corrupted and you'll need to sort them out to figure out which one. I'm guessing you won't have to go that far though and it's probably just the SD card itself that needs to be formatted. Either that or its a bad download.. I honestly never check md5's but I've had a few bad downloads before, usually it was always because I thought the whole file downloaded but it turns out my download was interrupted or never completed and I assumed it was. Compare file sizes to make sure they match the devs download and check the md5 to see if it matches. Also to make life easier and to lessen chances of something going wrong, don't transfer the ROM file but download it directly from your phone if you can.

Edit, oh and I personally never use apps to flash ROMs. It's usually best to manually install the ROM yourself. Use Goo to boot into recovery and perform the actions yourself. Wipe data, then cache, then dalvik. Flash ROM, flash Gapps if needed (no boot in between).

Another solution might be using CWM Recovery instead of TWRP. People swear by TWRP, but personally I've always liked ClockworkMod... maybe because I'm just more accustomed to it.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jan 15 '14 @ 7:45 AM

I agree with Cyber about the potential bad / improper downloads. For me, with the way goo.im is set up, it's sort of hard to know immediately if the ROM you're grabbing is actually a) what you think it is and / or B) currently stable / with support. I recommend grabbing the ROM downloads and GApps packages from their official threads at XDA / rootzwiki, or in the case of AOKP and CyanogenMod, from their official websites. Copy the files to your SD card or internal storage, reboot into recovery, and flash them manually by wiping /system /data /cache & /dalvik, flash ROM and then GApps, and reboot.

Gman650 #4

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Jan 15 '14 @ 12:22 PM

ok.. I'll work on verifying MD5's next. I have to say that the Goo.im download from the phone itself seems to be hit or miss for me. to the point where these particular files I mentioned I actually did download them on my PC then transfer them to internal storage. Not really wanting to move files back and forth maybe I can find an old 2G micro to format and just use temporarily. then I can DL on the PC and just put the chip in... verify the MD5 and do the install by hand.

(when wiping the caches. should I do them separate or together? and should I do a quick boot right back to recovery inbetween wipe and install?)

Edit: the MD5 crunched fine. so I attempted it by hand... wiping data.. then cache.. then Dalvik.. then went into installing cm-11-20140114.. It failed. I will attach the screeshot to see if it means anything to anyone here:

Attached Images

• IMG_20140115_153304_113.jpg

Updated by Gman650, Jan 15 '14 @ 12:55 PM.

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 15 '14 @ 12:59 PM

Yeah if you're downloading stuff directly from within the app GooManager, that's most likely your problem right there.. It's a hit or a miss like you mentioned. Always download any ROMs, mods, etc.. directly from the developers page, like on xda.

Use GooManager as a shortcut for booting into the custom recovery, but that's about it.. everything else should be done manually by yourself.

If you're going from one completely different ROM to another it's advised to wipe data, then cache and then dalvik.. You would then go to install zip and choose the ROMs zip file.. After that you would flash Gapps if the ROM requires it.. Then reboot the phone. No rebooting in between the above steps, it's all back to back.

Then there's something called a dirty flash.. it's when you don't wipe data and just wipe cache and dalvik. You can normally get away doing this if you are flashing the same ROM but a different version/update. So for example, CyberROM 123 to CyberROM 124 could probably be done without wiping the data. If something did go wrong you have a Nandroid to restore. Going from CyberROM to GmanROM would always require a data wipe. Dirty wiping is a gamble, some people do it and others just always wipe the data no matter what.

If you look at the Guide for ROM Manager and CWM in the Hacking forum here, it shows step by step what needs to be done for flashing ROMs. It's for ClockworkMod but it's typically the same steps for TWRP.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Gman650 #6

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Jan 28 '14 @ 6:08 PM

I gave up on TWRP. switched to CWM. I got cm-11 loaded and may begin testing the waters in others roms when I get this one loaded with all my stuff. I posted a question in the guide for rom manager thread in regards to the wipe process if I switch over to ART instead of Dalvik.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk