Started by Lee Bo ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Lee Bo #1

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jan 18 '14 @ 10:04 PM

Actually, after 12 & 1/2 years with Verizon, I just make the jump over to T-Mobile since they were offering to pay the early termination fees.  I picked up a Note 3 for myself and I got the Nexus 5 for my son.  Really like the Note 3 so far.  It's a little thinner than the 2 so it still fits in the pocket well.

• James likes this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 18 '14 @ 10:31 PM

I've contemplated back and forth so many times now doing the same thing but always feared T-Mobiles service. I've read and heard both positive and negative but for the most part, the numbers don't lie and Verizon has the better speed and coverage.. However I'd be interested in hearing what you think and how much of a difference is it between the two. But then again I guess where you live plays a big part in coverage so your results would differ from mine.. What I really need to do I suppose is sign up for Tmobile and try it in my area for a month to see if I'll really miss Verizon. Did you give up your unlimited data with Verizon or did you never have it?

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Ahowe125 #3

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Jan 19 '14 @ 9:48 AM

From what I ready on G+ he did leave behind his Unlimited on Verizon. 

I was telling @Lee Bo that I also was thinking about switching, and maybe once they get the new spectrum implemented I will do what he did. Try it out for a month and go from there.

I'm also still on unlimited, and because I have 5 lines on my account, I only end up paying around $57 a month for coverage. Unlimited Data, and 2000 minutes between the 5 lines which has been way more then enough. Until Verizon forces me off Unlimited, I don't have a great reason to leave. Other then the ability to get a Nexus 5, lol.  

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 19 '14 @ 10:32 AM

Yeah I have no reason to switch other than that Nexus 5 also :) I'm getting sick of my GS4, I don't use any of the Samsung features so the only thing this phone has going for it is the great screen and camera.. which are important to me.. Oh and great battery life. But I'm getting sick of this locked bootloader shit and really miss just having a pure Android phone. Some days I'm almost tempted to sell this thing and grab a Moto X or a Droid Maxx/Ultra. If I would of known ahead of time the bootloader would have been unable to be cracked, I would have most definitely went with the Droid phones. I've always liked the onscreen buttons and really want another Nexus type device.. I'm hoping the successor to the Moto X will be more high end.

My wife's actually interested in the Note 3..I keep telling her she's crazy and the phones too big, however she does keep her phone in her bag so at least she doesn't have to worry about fitting it in her pocket.. but she does have small hands being a girl and I still think it's more of a big guys phone. Plus I know she'll never use any of the S-pen features or pretty much any other feature of the phone. She only wants it because she's addicted to FB and says imagine how nice and big images will look on this phone. Also two of her friends have the phone so she really has her heart set on it, she's wanted one since the Note 2 has been out. Now that Sprint changed their upgrade program to whenever you want as long as you spread the payment out over two years, it looks like she'll be upgrading from the GS3 to the Note 3.

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #5

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Jan 19 '14 @ 11:04 AM

Some days I'm almost tempted to sell this thing and grab a Moto X or a Droid Maxx/Ultra. If I would of known ahead of time the bootloader would have been unable to be cracked, I would have most definitely went with the Droid phones.

Not going to thread jack @Lee Bo to much, but look back at our conversation @Cyber Warrior, HTC One FTW! :-) S-Off, Unlocked and free to do what I want even on Verizon. That's why I have a very sexy 4.4.2 Kitkat Google Edition ROM on there that makes the HTC One amazing. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Lee Bo #6

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Jan 19 '14 @ 12:42 PM

Well, I'm going to try and answer everyone's questions.

First, I borrowed a Galaxy S3 from a friend a few months ago and have been playing with it, more to see how T-Mobile's network is in my area.  As @Cyber Warrior already stated, yes, your location does come into the decision making factor.  Over the past 2 months I discovered that I was getting the same coverage in my area with T-Mobile as I was with Verizon.  So once I discovered coverage was good, I started looking at pricing plans.  I was surprised to discover that all of T-Mobile's family share plans are unlimited.  So even if you get the 500 meg plan, you get 500 megs of unthrottled data, and after that 500 megs, you are throttled down to about 2G speeds.  So you can still send emails and text messages.  I've even heard you can still stream music with no noticeable slowness in data service.  So for my needs, I would need my line to have unlimited, give my son a 2.5 gig plan, and my father-in-law only has a flip phone.  So that comes to $120/mo for the data plan.  I was playing almost $200 with Verizon, one unlimited plan, one 2-gig plan, and a flip phone, all sharing a 1400 minute plan.

Ok, so I've seen that the coverage is the same and the plans are cheaper.  Now all that was left was to decide when I was going to make the switch.  My line has not been under contract for years, my son still had about 18 months left, and m father-in-law had 6 months left.  So I was looking at $385 in ETF's.  Not horrible, but not something I really wanted to pay.  Then I hear through the grapevine that T-Mobile is going to announce a "pay your ETF" service either during or right after CES.  Well, the stars were aligned for me to leave Verizon.  :-)

So this past Friday I went to T-Mobile and had all three of my lines ported over.  I still have to pay the ETF with Verizon, then send in the receipt and the form, and T-Mobile send me a prepaid MasterCard for the same ETF amount I paid Verizon.

The bottom line is, with the data plan I'm on now, along with three new phones, and I'm paying $20 LESS that I was with Verizon, have unlimited data on all three lines, and no contracts.  :-)

• Ahowe125 likes this

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 19 '14 @ 8:29 PM

@Ahowe125 I know.. it was a tough decision between the GS4 and HTC One. When the One first came out I wanted it so bad, I most likely would have bought it the very first day without even reading a review.. but Verizon never received the phone until 6 months later and that kind of pissed me off, so in a weird way I guess I was sticking it to Verizon/HTC by not buying their product lol. Also when I bought the GS4, my intention was to sell it if the Nexus 5 made it to Verizon but of course that never happened. The only reason I would probably even consider the Moto X right now is its so cheap. I would sell the GS4 and pick up a Moto X for a few months until all the new phones come out and then sell again.. That's one good thing about the Galaxy phones.. and the Moto X, they're popular and have a good re-sale value.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Lee Bo #8

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Jan 21 '14 @ 12:19 PM

Bah wah wah wah wah!!!!!

Screenshot_2014-01-21-15-13-40_amenote32

• Ahowe125 likes this

Lee Bo #9

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Mar 17 '14 @ 6:18 PM

So after a couple of months I'm still liking Tmobile.  Even with two phone payments on my bill, I'm still paying about $25 less a month than I was on Verizon.  And yes, it does make a difference where you live.  I have the exact same coverage where I live with Tmobile that I did with Verizon, and I can trade up every 6 months, and I still have unlimited data.

Now for what I really don't like.  Because of employer discount, my bill date is now the 15th.  Not a really big deal but with VZW it was on the 25th and I get any sales leads and/or commissions on my paycheck on the 25th.

The Tmobile web interface is extremely basic and any additional features have prices involved.  For example, with VZW if I wanted to limit my sons texting to 100 per month, that was part of the plan.  With Tmobile it's an additional $5-ish dollars a month.  Again, not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience.