Photo

Hidden directories?

Started by Gman650 ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Gman650 #1

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Feb 15 '14 @ 9:05 PM

To start from the beginning for someone reading this topic fresh...

I've rooted my VzW Samsung Galaxy S3 and started my cusom rom ventures with TWRP as my recovery...

I've since then made the switch to Clockwork mod and flashed up to CM-11 on the 1/27/14 nightly

I am almost ready to flash to a newer nightly but I've been seeing a few things that I wish I knew more about. Recently I've had a few apps tell me that there is an update to them in the play store but cant due to insufficient room. When I go to settings-storage I see internal storage has 4.92GB available and 10.3GB available on my SD card. I was wondering if there is a hidden area that one part of the phone is looking at that might be full that I cant see from here or with File Manager..

I ask this because (lending creedance to this theory) I've found that when I go into recovery mode, I can seem to see an area of directory that I cant find...

so.. in CWM when I go to Install a zip file and "choose zip from /sdcard" I then see directories:

0/

TWRP/ (in here I have 2 backups that I'd like to delete)

clockworkmod/

legacy/

obb/

This seems to suggest there is directory structure above (or next to) the 0/ directory. But I cannot see it with any file manager that's on my phone.. I can find a TWRP directory under storage/emulated/0 storage/emulated/legacy as well as on my (external) sdcard1 but the 2 backups listed in my recovery menu are just not there.

2 part question.. where's the insufficient memory? and why cant I find those TWRP backups to delete them?

Any ideas?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Feb 16 '14 @ 12:07 AM

First part to your question.. The insufficient memory is most likely a bug caused by restoring app+app data from a previous backup. For example if you're restoring apps from Titanium Backup. One way to test this is to install a random app that you haven't restored and see if you get the memory error.. if no errors then it's being caused from your restored backups only. In Titanium.. Go to Menu and you will see a few options for something called Market Doctor.. Run those commands and your problem should go away. Not sure what exactly causes it but I've had it happen as well once before.

Second part.. emulated legacy and emulated 0 are the same in that the files they hold are symbolic to one another. If you delete something out of one it will affect the other. The /0 folder was created when we went to Android 4.2 (becuase of the ability to have user profiles) So the system needs a way to install apps on a per user basis. The /legacy is for olders apps that are still written for Android 4.1.2 and below. It's a bit confusing but leave those directories as is. I normally leave legacy alone and work out of /0 which is your internal device storage (extSD being the external SD card if you have one. So if you see duplicate files between /0 and /legacy don't worry.. they're not duplicates but actually the same file corresponding together from two paths.

Now, the fact that the files are showing up in Recovery but not in the file manager is strange and I suspect something got corrupted along the way. I'm not 100% positive, I would need to double check, but I believe you can't install one recovery over another without going back to stock recovery first or you'll hit problems. Flashing CWM over TWRP might have screwed things up as well as your backups. Do the nandroids actually work? I'm guessing they won't and you'll get an error if you try restoring one because the file no longer exists.

Also what file manager are you using? Consider ES file manager and Root Explorer if you don't have them already.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Gman650 #3

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Feb 16 '14 @ 8:15 AM

I'm using Helium (or trying to) for my backups. I did as you said and installed something new ("and now for something completely different") and it worked fine. I cant find a similar repair in Helium. I will stop using it if that's the culprit. I see i need the full version of Titanium to repair like you say. If I'm starting over withthe next nightly (I always do full wipe: (cache; dalvik; system)) this current issue should be wiped away with it correct? and if that's the case, all I need to do is to avoid doing it again.

As far as those nandroids.. I dont know if they work.. I was hesitent to try them because they were created with TWRP and I'm on CWM now. I dont know if I can restore across recovery managers like that so I havent tried it. I can ignore them if they are just blank placeholders, but my OCD is screaming to straighen out that file system!

I've been using "File Manager" v1.16.6 from Rhythm Software. it's been pretty good. I'll check out yours.

So what's the correct way to reset this so I dont cascade my issues into the next (and subsequent) nightlies? I want one good baseline Nandroid, then I may make a temporary one prior to each new nightly (to be deleted when I make the next temporary). I've been thinking to reset to a stable 4.3.x and get a good CWM backup to hold on to as I'm playing in the 4.4 world...

Edit: BTW.. I like Memory Map to give a quick indication as to where your largest disk hogs are on the mobile platform.. it gives a graphical representation of directories/files and their relative sizes on the "drive". The bigger the file.. the larger the block on the screen. it's akin to SpaceSniffer on the PC.

Updated by Gman650, Feb 16 '14 @ 8:29 AM.

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Feb 16 '14 @ 9:07 AM

OK, the only other way around that error message is for each app that gives you the error, you would have to uninstall the app and then re-install.. you might also need to wipe data, which you may not want to do.. pretty much you're erasing any existence of the app and installing it fresh.

If you re-flash the ROM, yes the problem will go away. The problem is though it may return when you go to restore your apps again. What's causing the problem I'm not exactly sure, it may be that you're restoring a system app. System apps are the ones that are included with the ROM.

You can keep using Helium if you want, but Titanium will give you those extra features which usually aren't needed but sometimes come in handy. Titanium will also color code apps, system apps will be red and anything safe will be green (or yellow for Titaniums safe options for system settings.. phone, sms, accounts, wifi, etc) If you don't want to dish out the money for Titanium try uninstalling and reinstall the apps that give you error messages. It may work.

As for the Nandroids, that's the problem, you can't cross restore backups between CWM and TWRP. If the nandroid doesn't work and is just showing as a placeholder then just delete the entire folder (CWM/TWRP).. It will repopulate the next time you go to make a backup.

The file manager you're using should be fine.. the problem is the backup between the two different recoveries.

When you say complete wipe, you're wiping data as well correct? Should be wipe data, cache, dalvik and then some people like formating the system (which is optional and probably not necessary unless the ROM Dev calls for it)

This is what I would do:
-Clean up those missing Nandroids (delete the folders)
-Go back to a stable build (sounds like a plan/you always have Odin for the stock image if needed)
-If you're happy with your file manager it should be fine to keep. Helium I have no experience with but you may want to check out Titanium. As mentioned the error message you're receiving isn't a common problem.. it should go away or it could be something wrong on your part like restoring a system app possibly (I won't know without seeing every action being performed)

I just double checked the issue of flashing CWM over TWRP it it appears it's okay to do but nandroid/backups are not compatible.

So your problem seems to be just that error message when updating apps, delete the old recovery folder (TWRP) if it's bothering you and it should no longer appear. Might as well delete the CWM folder as well and start fresh. (It'll re-create itself).. So maybe think about switching to Titanium or try and figure out if there's something you're doing wrong on your part when using Helium to restore apps.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

vondes #5

vondes
  • 3 posts

Posted Feb 18 '17 @ 1:25 PM

I want to know if spyware application can find hidden files on your phone? Or is there a way to hide files so that they will not find even a spy?