• Sign In To Reply:  

Ahowe125 #1

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Feb 17 '14 @ 7:24 PM

Sup guys?

So I have been kicking around the idea of getting a new laptop to replace a few things. First my desktop which I only use when I need a gaming fix, Second my very out dated Alienware laptop which still has XP on it and is slow as dirt, and finally my Nexus 7. 

The first two are pretty self explanatory, the third is some what different. I bought the Nexus 7 (2013) when I still had my Droid Razr Maxx. It was going to replace my phone for video content, gaming, and my go to device at home when I was bored. And it did that well up until I got my HTC One. Now I hardly ever take it out of the dresser that it hides in.

I have had a few ideas and am not sure what direction I should take for my next piece of hardware. I would like to stay under $500 if at all possible, as I plan on selling the Nexus 7 to recover most the cost. I am mainly looking for something light weight with good battery life for all of the internet tasks I would use a computer for. I also want a good physical keyboard and a 720p or better screen. I am torn between windows vs anything else because I have used Windows my whole life and most of my personal/professional tech support comes in the form of windows based computers. 

Some choices I have started researching are

Chromebooks (as a whole, no specifics yet)

Surface 2 or Pro 2 (not totally sold on Windows 8 but should learn it at some point)

Tradition Budget Laptop (no specifics yet)

Some other form of Hybrid Laptop/Tablet

I guess what I'm looking for are any opinions on what you currently own or any ideas you have. I use my phone for most things, but when I want to get on a computer I use my Fiance's Toshiba laptop. Both my computers are in the basement and quite useless. 

And before it gets mentioned, I'm pretty against using Apple products. I have never liked Apple's OS and don't think I would want to use one of there over priced laptops. :-)

Thanks, hopefully we can kick up some good conversation. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Treknologist #2

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Feb 20 '14 @ 7:31 PM

Looks like you have quite a few potential choices. I have a mixture of devices now.  I have a Windows desktop computer, a netbook with Windows XP that I keep for when I need a 32-bit OS for certain tasks (I'm into retro gaming and I sometimes need an older OS for some stuff), an Acer Chromebook, and a Transformer Pad TF701T (I got tired of waiting for the new Nexus 10 and this is as close to stock as it gets).

I will tell you that I'm impressed with the Transformer Pad 701.  I had a Transformer Prime, so I had to think long and hard about getting another Asus tablet.  I'm glad I got it, though, and I'm quite surprised this tablet has hardly gotten a mention on Android sites.  Asus has pretty much addressed every problem they had with their prior Transformers with the 701.  The thing is smooth, fast, and truly works well.  I don't use it with the dock as I really just need the tablet aspect.  I like to read magazines on it. 

The Chrombook has also impressed me.  I wasn't sure just how much I'd like it but it turns out that I really love it.  It is lightweight, has a full keyboard, boots up in seconds and it can be used for anything that you need to do online.  The free-standing apps are getting better and there is enough off-line functionality as well to make it useful.  It still isn't a "full" computer but it certainly lets you do plenty.  You also get very good performance for the price.  If you really want a keyboard, this may be the best choice outside of a Windows computer.  I can't tell you anything about Windows 8 as I've not used it. 

• Ahowe125 likes this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Feb 21 '14 @ 8:40 AM

I feel the need to say this. Macs are very expensive, but the experience is breathtaking and once I had one at my disposal, I vowed to never go back to Windows because of how intuitive all of the gestures made everything feel. Everything I did ended up being done just a little bit faster being able to swipe, slide, and all that jazz. It's a really wonderful OS all around. There's something to be said for using software optimized specifically for your hardware. The MBP I was using was built in 2009 and flew through everything faster than any other PC I've ever used.

That being said, I didn't realize I'd end up having to get a new machine again so soon, so right now I'm running some cheapo Acer with Windows 8. I hate Windows 8 with a passion. Everything is different and confusing, even for someone like me. The search box that is supposed to lead me everywhere is inconsistent and it just feels very bloated all around. This new machine I am using does have a touchscreen though, and that makes the experience on W8 infinitely better than using it with just a mouse. So, if you're going Windows 8, I highly recommend getting a machine that has a touch screen, especially if your professional life will involve you using it.

Ultimately, I'd recommend just throwing your price range into NewEgg and seeing what comes up with favorable reviews. Make sure you're getting at least 4GB of RAM and an SSD built-in. You'll thank yourself later on for spending the little bit extra on the solid state drive.

Ahowe125 #4

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Feb 21 '14 @ 9:02 AM

@Treknologist, Thanks for the ideas. 

@Christopher Coleman, Its good to have different points of view. I'm sure if I gave Apple the time of day, I may find that I like it. And for sure on the SSD, I would love to upgrade my desktop to one or two in a Raid. 

I'm still in research mode, so I'm not sure what direction I'll end up going. I really like the idea of a Chromebook, but I'm just not sure how much it will get used. I can see it getting use for light browsing and other things I could do with my Nexus 7, but it then lacks some things a normal laptop can do. I have started looking into the chome store to see what type of apps I can get for the Chromebook. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Feb 21 '14 @ 9:31 AM

If you're gonna get a windows desktop, upgrade it back down to Windows 7. Nuff' said.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4
  • Photopaul65 and Ahowe125 like this

Ahowe125 #6

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Feb 21 '14 @ 9:41 AM

If you're gonna get a windows desktop, upgrade it back down to Windows 7. Nuff' said.

I've got a pretty beastly built desktop (a few years ago and now outdated) that has windows 7 and I agree, windows 7 is the best OS since XP. 

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Feb 21 '14 @ 9:50 AM

Definitely.

Ahowe125 #8

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Feb 21 '14 @ 11:25 AM

Some choices I have started researching are Chromebooks (as a whole, no specifics yet) Surface 2 or Pro 2 (not totally sold on Windows 8 but should learn it at some point) Tradition Budget Laptop (no specifics yet) Some other form of Hybrid Laptop/Tablet  

So far in Chromebooks I have researched the Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook(279.99) the Samsung 11" Chromebook (229.99) and the Acer C720 11" Chromebook (199.99)

I have to think the Toshiba has been my favorite option so far. 

Updated by Ahowe125, Feb 21 '14 @ 11:52 AM.

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Feb 22 '14 @ 7:58 AM

Looks good.

Treknologist #10

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Feb 23 '14 @ 8:44 AM

Something to consider with the Chromebooks is whether or not you want a touch screen.  There are only a few models with a touch screen available but may be worth it. 

Ahowe125 #11

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 7:46 AM

During nap time (11 month old son who loves sleeping in the car) we took a trip to Best Buy to check out all the new stuff. They had a few chromebooks on display including the acer and samsung. They were nice, but it just didn't seem like the right fit. I'm sure with time I would be able to install more apps and really make it my own, but it left much to be desired. 

On another note they had a bunch of really nice laptops/ultrabooks on display in the range of 600-1000. I think I will find more use from a laptop with Win 7 on it then I would a chromebook. So for now I think I'm just going to hang onto my Nexus 7 and keep my eyes open for a good deal on a laptop. I'll most likely end up getting a 13-15" touch screen toshiba with decent specs. 

And its worth noting that I looked at that Surface Pro and it was horrible. Very clunky and the keyboard was unusable. That option is off the table completely. 

Treknologist #12

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 7:51 AM

Be sure to have a look in Tiger Direct. They have excellent deals and they still offer Windows 7 laptops. 

• Ahowe125 likes this

Christopher Coleman #13

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 8:38 AM

As for the Surface, you're sure it was the Pro and not the RT? Was it the Pro or the Pro 2? I've seen very favorable reviews on both Pro models so I'm surprised you hated it so much. Was it the Touch cover or the Type cover you saw on display?

Ahowe125 #14

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 10:01 AM

As for the Surface, you're sure it was the Pro and not the RT? Was it the Pro or the Pro 2? I've seen very favorable reviews on both Pro models so I'm surprised you hated it so much. Was it the Touch cover or the Type cover you saw on display?

I should have clarified - The Surface RT and the older touch cover were the ones I disliked. The type cover was much better but the Pro 2 is way to expensive. Honestly all the designs were clunky and kinda heavy. I shouldn't say horrible, but not favorable. Maybe I should give them a second look and have some sit down time with one before I dismiss them completely. 

Photopaul65 #15

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Feb 26 '14 @ 4:30 AM

I've been considering a Chromebook instead of a new 10" tablet, and I'm tempted by the Acer touchscreen model but I'm holding off until I/O to see what, if anything, new is coming. 

While 80% of what I do on a laptop is surfing/research, there are those times when I need to edit a photo with a capable editor or do a quick design render in Inkscape. I know there are ways to boot Linux on Chromebooks, but they are complicated and flaky at the moment.

I hoping at some point we see a Chromebook that can dual boot natively, that feature in of itself would boost CB sales by a good percentage.

My dream machine would be a 11" 1080p swiveling touchscreen CB that converts to an Android tablet! <just got goosebumps> C'mon Google, make it happen!

C Sab #16

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Feb 26 '14 @ 8:22 AM

I've been considering a Chromebook instead of a new 10" tablet, and I'm tempted by the Acer touchscreen model but I'm holding off until I/O to see what, if anything, new is coming. 

While 80% of what I do on a laptop is surfing/research, there are those times when I need to edit a photo with a capable editor or do a quick design render in Inkscape. I know there are ways to boot Linux on Chromebooks, but they are complicated and flaky at the moment.

I hoping at some point we see a Chromebook that can dual boot natively, that feature in of itself would boost CB sales by a good percentage.

My dream machine would be a 11" 1080p swiveling touchscreen CB that converts to an Android tablet! <just got goosebumps> C'mon Google, make it happen!

That's the only thing keeping me from replacing my laptop with a Chromebook. That and a video editor.

Treknologist #17

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Feb 26 '14 @ 8:39 AM

I read that VMWare and Google have joined forces to emulate Windows on the Chromebooks so that those additional functions can be used with the machines.  If you can run Windows apps in the Chromebook that removes some of the limitations they have and makes them more appealing.

• Ahowe125 likes this

C Sab #18

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Feb 26 '14 @ 8:42 AM

That would indeed. I wonder how MS will respond. 

Photopaul65 #19

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Feb 26 '14 @ 8:44 AM

I would prefer Linux support from Google, but if Windows is all we get, it's better than nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Malik Suleman #20

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Jan 5 '16 @ 9:39 AM

looks very informative and i am very aknoweleged about this