Photo

RUMOR: Galaxy S5 TO Have On-Screen Buttons?

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Feb 19 '14 @ 2:51 PM

Will the latest Galaxy phone have on screen buttons?

SO of course with the supposed announcement of the latest device from Samsung coming up very soon, rumors are of course gonna be spreading like wildfire. The latest one suggests that Samsung has answered what is possibly one of the bigger complaints by people about Samsung devices.

That's right, Samsung just might be putting on-screen buttons onto their devices. This could be connected to the other screenshots that have appeared of the software on the S5 meaning that TouchWiz has been given a major overhaul matching the one HTC gave Sense with the One? Possibly. If so, at least there won't be an obnoxious black bar on the phone.

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Feb 19 '14 @ 3:25 PM

I've went from excited about two new flagships to disappointed. I really was hoping the GS5 would have on-screen buttons but now it's supposedly going to be physical with a fingerprint scanner... which for Samsung, I guess makes sense.. why change the design if it's selling them millions of devices... then add a fingerprint scanner to compete with the iPhone. I'll still probably end up getting the phone but I'll have to wait to see what's final and what else is available. The specs sound great otherwise.

The new HTC One's design looks terrible on those leaked shots. I think the last version looks better. That bezel is terrible and makes the on-screen buttons sit too high up on the phone. I've read theories on possibly the bar being used for swipe unlocking the phone or maybe some type of fingerprint scanner.. but still, those buttons are sitting way too high. I'll have to see it in person along with the GS5 before I make any final conclusions.

Edit: Looking at that link I really hope they do use on-screen buttons but screenshots and benchmark tests are too easy to fake.. unless it's a reliable source. There's already more solid evidence pointing towards a fingerprint scanner on the home button.. which means physical home button. Source: SamMobile http://www.engadget....-scanner-rumor/

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Mar 7 '14 @ 1:12 PM

Well this really panned out. :)

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Mar 7 '14 @ 9:40 PM

Indeed. :D