• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 8:03 AM

med_gallery_6_67_489240.jpgmed_gallery_6_67_289115.jpg

We knew it was coming. Samsung officially unveiled yesterday the latest Galaxy to the usual fanfare. The S5 is packing a 5.1" Full HD display, a 2.5ghz quad-core Snapdragon 801, but surprisingly only 2GB of RAM. You have your choice of four color options: a black, blue, gold, or white variant all with a new soft-touch back that has a 'dimpled' texture, sort of like your 2012 Nexus 7 that's been collecting dust for a while now. You'll have your choice of either 16 or 32GB of internal storage, with a microSD slot above the 2800mAh removable battery.

As far as software goes, Samsung has taken on a pretty heavy-handed redesign of what Galaxy owners are used to seeing. The more modern, flat, toned-down look shouldn't scare any TouchWiz veterans away, but it could be enough to make a hater take at least a second look at Sammy's latest flagship if the software design language was their major issue. We're also seeing some new but forgettable features, like a revamped S-Health to take advantage of the S5's heartrate sensor (as well as all the new goodies in Samsung's new Gear lineup.) The device also packs a new "ultra power saving mode," which according to the presentation can offer someone with 10% battery up to 24 hours of standby time. The "Download Booster" works to combine your Wi-Fi and LTE connections to give a huge boost to your download speeds. That will certainly be a fun feature to try out.

The phone has, as expected, a swipe-gesture fingerprint scanner built into the home button, offering a 'private mode' and per-finger actions that the user can set. We're seeing a multitasking and back buttons on either side of that new home button as well. The phone is water-resistant and dust proof which is always appreciated.

As far as the cameras go, Samsung says that this is the fastest-focusing mobile phone camera out there. The rear shooter is a 16MP offering HDR for both photos and video, selective focus, and ultra high-definition video recording at 30 frames per second.

We've included a gallery below that you can click through to check out. What you do think of Samsung's latest? It's clearly not a game changer, but in this day and age, we shouldn't be expecting that. That doesn't mean we can't still appreciate what Samsung has done to upgrade and differentiate from previous Galaxy devices.

More: Samsung

SM G900F charcoal BLACK 01
Album: Galaxy S5
60 images
0 comments

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 12:19 PM

Despite the usual complaints people are making I still think this will end up being a great phone.

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 8:38 PM

Oh yeah, it will certainly be a capable device just like the S3 and the S4. With these phones though, people HAVE to find SOMETHING to complain about. I am not a huge fan of the texture on the back except in the black version, but even that is a minor complaint. I'm curious more than anything as to how well the fingerprint scanner works and how well it's integrated into using the device. It's the one thing that would make me pick the 5S over anything Android, so if Samsung has done it well, the S5 is definitely on my radar. Looking forward to checking it out.

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Feb 25 '14 @ 10:04 PM

Well you'll find out soon. Also I always use a case so the back doesn't bug me though the blue and black do look nice. I wanna see how much better TW runs. Sure it takes up almost 8GB but that doesn't mean it doesn't run better than before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Updated by C Sab, Feb 25 '14 @ 10:05 PM.