Charging pad

Started by Jerrod ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Jerrod #1

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Apr 24 '14 @ 11:04 AM

So after all of these months having a Nexus 5 I just ordered the charging pad.  I think you just put the phone down on the pad and it gets charged.

What I am wondering is if you are supposed to leave the Pad plugged in all the time.  This is what I think but I am wondering if the pad draws electricity while nothing is on it to be charged.

Also I heard that the batteries in phones have a fixed number of charging cycles.  Is every time you put the phone on the pad a charging cycle, and if so will these pads cause the battery to fail sooner than if you just charged it when it was completely spent? 

Treknologist #2

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted May 4 '14 @ 6:18 AM

I've heard that the lifespan of the batteries is shortened by using wireless charging because of the heat being generated.  I don't know how much of an impact it is, though.  I still use my wireless charger and I do keep it plugged all the time.  I do tend to just set the phone to charge when the battery is under 30%, though. 

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Jerrod #3

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted May 8 '14 @ 12:10 PM

Thanks for your answer.  I got the wireless charger because I sometimes have trouble hitting the right spot when inserting the USB cable, so I didn't want to damage the connector on the phone.  I am like you I keep it plugged in because the transformer doesn't seem to get warm when it's idle.  I also only put the phone on it to charge like I normally would which is when it is below 25% or if I am going out for a full day and it is below 40% so I guess everything will last until my next phone.

In the future if Google eliminates the Nexus brand and goes with a more expensive "Silver" line I doubt I will getting  a new phone often.  The rest of my family gets a phone every 4 or 5 years so for me maybe every 4 - as long as the thing still works.  Sad too, but that's the way it will be.  If phones are in the $600 range then No large expenditure on something that is not absolutely required and  still no contracts for me either.

Again Thanks for the help

Jerrod