Photo

[GUIDE] Get started with Usenet (Stop using BitTorrent! There is a better way.)

Started by Christopher Coleman ,
download downloads torrent torrents movies music games software tutorials tutorial

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted May 12 '13 @ 9:32 PM

WARNING

The Android Channel and all those affiliated provide this information only for educational services, and have no control over how viewers of this content use the information made available directly or indirectly. Don't be stupid. Buy your shit.

WHAT IS USENET?

Let's keep it simple.  Usenet is the name for a bunch of computers linked together.  These computers contain archives of "Newsgroups", which contain "Messages".  These messages can be part of a discussion, much like an forum.  They can also contain files embedded inside them.

WHY NOT BITTORRENT?

Torrenting copyrighted material.  We've all done it, but as I grow older I felt exponentially worse for doing so.  However, there's times when content just isn't readily available to me, due to limited releases or region locks, and file sharing services can ease the pain of not being able to watch the movie Bug in HD.  Anyway, maybe it's simple to some, but I never fully took the time to understand protecting your anonymity online.  I was never "sure" if I was behind enough walls and settings and whatever else to keep me hidden.  I also knew that turning off seeding would help, but again, this turns out to be much more difficult for me.  So, with newsgroups, I can grab what I'm looking for with ease, at high speeds.

WHAT'S THE CATCH?

It's not free.  There are almost always monthly fees associated with a Usenet provider.  They're usually affordable though, considering the vast resources that await you once you start service.

Step 1: Choose a provider.

Most will do you just fine.  You'll want to judge your needs based on how much you think you will download in a month.  You can also opt for an unlimited plan if the host provides it.  Some standard features you'll want to find are hosts that provide encryption, and are fast enough to match your internet speed, or a plan with no speed restrictions.  You'll also want to check out their "retention" rates. Retention specifies how many days worth of content the service archives.  So, if the retention is 60 days, that means you can't download files or read messages that are more than 60 days old.

I use Supernews.  I also have high praise for Giganews, but it tends to be the most expensive of the bunch.

Step 2: Get the software.

Once you sign up for your service, you'll need software to decode the messages and download the files.  I recommend Alt.Binz.  Install the application, and open it up.  

Click "Setup" CU3HF4B.png

Click "Servers" on the left.  Your newsgroup provider will have e-mailed or otherwise provided you with the information to fill in.  When you're done, click "Apply" and then "Add as primary."  Press "OK."  At the top of the screen, press the "Connect" button.  You should see "Connected and authenticated" at the bottom.  If not, check your server settings and try again.  You may also need to wait a period of time before your account is active and ready to use.

QH4yMpE.png

Step 3: Find what you're looking for.

After you press OK, you're going to want to go hunting for NZB files.  An NZB file is kind of like a torrent -- it will tell the software where to find the messages you want to download.  I recommend binsearch.info.  Type what you're looking for, and press "Search".  Make sure it is labeled as a "Collection", tick the checkmark next to it and press the "Create NZB" button at the top or bottom of the list.

JGSvPIh.png

When the NZB has finished downloading, go back to Alt.Binz.  Press the "Connect" button if you're not already connected, and then press "NZB". 

XkUe2Eo.png

Find the NZB file you downloaded, and open it.  Your file will begin to download!  You'll need WinRAR, or 7-Zip to extract the files you downloaded if they are contained in an archive.  Just download the software from here and install it.  You'll be able to just right-click on your downloaded files and press Extract.

That should be all.  Any questions, feel free to holler!
  • Cyber Warrior, Ricky Babalu and lpt2569 like this

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted May 12 '13 @ 9:43 PM

You can even get an app for your Android device to download on the go!  I'm using Nzb Leech.

eoAGdF3.png

• Ricky Babalu and lpt2569 like this

Ricky Babalu #3

Ricky Babalu
  • Beach Bum
  • 87 posts
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted May 20 '13 @ 3:53 PM

I have always wanted to learn this, maybe now I will have the "Huevos" to try it. Hopefully I can come back here if I need assistance. Thanks for the "How to" !

• Cory Streater, Uncle Louie and lpt2569 like this

076fd490-c574-4ef8-a8ee-6a51c4fa5261_zps

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 11 '13 @ 10:49 PM

I checked this out today, and it worked perfectly.

I also installed the Android version of uTorrent today. It worked really well.

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 6:29 AM

Sweet. Which provider did you use? I've tried torrents on my phone / tablet and it does work well but I just don't like using torrents as a whole. With Usenet there's no sharing back so you shouldn't have to worry about the law breathing down your neck for your dirty, dirty pirate ways. :P

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 7:38 AM

Screenshot_2013-06-12-08-29-09.png

There are a variety of options. By default, it is setup to use ISO Hunt, but there's a setting to change that.

Christopher Coleman #7

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 7:48 AM

I meant which Usenet provider.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 4 Beta