nVidia nVidia shield gaming portable gaming android shield

• Sign In To Reply:  

creccaj #1

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted May 14 '13 @ 10:29 AM

nVidia Shield is coming!  You will be able to pre-order on the 20th for a grand total of $350.  Could this be the next generation of portable gaming or is this is just a technical exercise that will end up flat on its face?  

For me personally I have been an nVidia fan boy for all my computer building life.  I have always built computers based on nVidia components.  Right now at home I have a computer with 2 nVidia GTX 680 graphic cards running in SLI.  I really am rooting for nVidia here and I always will but I really don't see them reinventing the wheel here.  Nintendo pretty much dominates the hand-held gaming consoles and then when you throw in smart phones there is going to be much room for a device like Shield, at least in my eyes.  The Playstation Vita was a flop, even though Sony would hate to admit it, but in the end mobile gaming is moving away from large devices and going more towards the ultra-portable and almost moving more towards smart phones.

There will always be a market for hand-held gaming systems like the Nintendo 3DS, kids will want them and parents will buy them for their kids to keep them entertained on long car rides, boring dinners and planes.  Basically whenever you want to keep a small child quiet for an extended period of time, give them a 3DS and whatever new Pokemon game is out... worked for me when I was kid.  It's safe to say that Nintendo dominates this market and has for the longest time.  Shield is good for the market, competition is always a good thing.  

What Shield does have going for it is the use of emulators.  If you can run emulators for NES, SNES, N64 and others this will be an amazing device for the price.  Which it sounds like will be one use for the device.  Believe me, if you tell me that Golden Eye for N64 can be played multiplayer on a Shield you can count me in.  However, that is going to be a small niche compared.  This is where I think the Shield will fall, a portable gaming device for adults.  Tablets and Smartphones are the current options, but this could bring a whole new community to the gaming industry.  Hell, if Golden Eye or Mario Cart 64 could be re-released optimized for the Shield and has multiplayer modes via WiFi I would be a huge fan.  

I am rooting for nVidia here, but I am also a realist.  I really don't see this succeeding at reinventing the mobile gaming community, but maybe supplementing it to bring back some of the classics that we have come to love.
  • dmmarck likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

inkdaddy66 #2

inkdaddy66
  • the guy on the couch
  • 13 posts
  • Device: note 2

Posted May 20 '13 @ 1:14 PM

I sold all of my console systems. Just want interested anymore. I've been gaming a lot more on my note. Which keeps me happy. I seen this a while back and I knew I wanted it. One of the things that sold me was a video of the shield paired to a gaming laptop. My laptop is where I handle gaming as well. So I'm looking forward to the release of the shield

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Updated by inkdaddy66, May 20 '13 @ 1:15 PM.

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jul 21 '13 @ 10:12 AM

Looks like it's shipping the 31st. Anybody order one?

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jul 22 '13 @ 1:10 PM

Nah, I'd rather just get a Bluetooth controller. Plus I'm mostly a PC gamer. Best way to play games right there.

• creccaj likes this

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Jul 22 '13 @ 6:35 PM

Nah, I'd rather just get a Bluetooth controller. Plus I'm mostly a PC gamer. Best way to play games right there.

Good man what games ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Christopher Coleman #6

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 9:31 AM

Yeah, but remember, if you get your games through Steam you can stream them to the Shield. Seems like a good companion for someone who plays PC games primarily. I'm a console guy myself.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 2

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 11:30 AM

Yeah, but remember, if you get your games through Steam you can stream them to the Shield. Seems like a good companion for someone who plays PC games primarily. I'm a console guy myself.

Hmm, I didn't think of that. Good point.

Good man what games ?

What's your name on Steam? I'll add you and you can check out my library.

dmmarck #8

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 4:08 PM

Good man what games ?

Please tell me you play EVE.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 4:40 PM

Good man what games ?

Please tell me you play EVE.

Sadly not.