Photo

Google Play Music - Offline Listening Question

Started by dmmarck ,
Google Play Music

Best Answer creccaj , May 16 '13 @ 5:08 PM

The 2 download limit is to download to your desktop or laptop, not to storing locally on your device.  

I have been using Google Music for a while now and I have never come across and instance where they limited me on how much I can store locally on my phone.  On a side note, now that I have all access, I added 2 albums to my library (didn't buy them, just added them for listening) and it let me store those songs locally on my device as well.  If you want to download them to you computer, to put on an SDCard or use for something else like an iPod you will need to actually buy the album/song.

Go to the full post

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 14 '13 @ 2:50 PM

Let's say you have a brand new 4 GB data plan and don't want to go over that limit.  Let's say you have your entire library in the cloud and you love listening to it.  As a result of the cloud and the data limit, you must make the content available offline in Google Play Music.  Is there any limitation with this?  I saw a 2 download limitation for items downloaded from the web, but nothing for offline content on devices.  Halp?

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #2

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted May 16 '13 @ 5:08 PM   Best Answer

The 2 download limit is to download to your desktop or laptop, not to storing locally on your device.  

I have been using Google Music for a while now and I have never come across and instance where they limited me on how much I can store locally on my phone.  On a side note, now that I have all access, I added 2 albums to my library (didn't buy them, just added them for listening) and it let me store those songs locally on my device as well.  If you want to download them to you computer, to put on an SDCard or use for something else like an iPod you will need to actually buy the album/song.

• ChromeJob likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

7stringer #3

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted May 20 '13 @ 5:36 AM

Let's say you have a brand new 4 GB data plan and don't want to go over that limit.  Let's say you have your entire library in the cloud and you love listening to it.  As a result of the cloud and the data limit, you must make the content available offline in Google Play Music.  Is there any limitation with this?  I saw a 2 download limitation for items downloaded from the web, but nothing for offline content on devices.  Halp?

I'd recommend DL'ing as much content over WIFI onto your device as possible. Similarly, if you listen to any song in full, it will automatically cache and be available "offline," say, for a flight or something. I constantly have to go in and de-authorize accounts because it resets my device every time I flash a new ROM, and I reach that 10 device limit quickly. You can singularly de-authorize devices in the settings online. 

• dmmarck and Pat like this

I have the Rickets! 

Pat #4

Pat
  • 14 posts
  • Device: Nexus 4/7/10

Posted May 20 '13 @ 10:49 AM

I'd recommend DL'ing as much content over WIFI onto your device as possible. Similarly, if you listen to any song in full, it will automatically cache and be available "offline," say, for a flight or something. I constantly have to go in and de-authorize accounts because it resets my device every time I flash a new ROM, and I reach that 10 device limit quickly. You can singularly de-authorize devices in the settings online. 

This.  Every week or two I have to go in and clear my authorized devices; it's becoming a chore.  The caching behavior, however, is great.  Even if you don't have the music pinned for offline availability, if you listened to it recently your device will play the cached file instead of utilizing the cellular connection.

• 7stringer likes this

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 7:54 AM

Definitely going to have to get used to pinning more music when on Wi-Fi.  After enabling All Access, I burned up over 2GB of data in a week.

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 4 '13 @ 7:00 AM

Definitely going to have to get used to pinning more music when on Wi-Fi.  After enabling All Access, I burned up over 2GB of data in a week.

This alone, is the one thing I will miss about being on my grandfathered data plan at Verizon.

Yes WiFi is usually available, but there are definitely times it isn't. Monitoring data usage sounds as much fun as monitoring my checkbook. I'd rather I never ran out, and I didn't have to keep track of it.

Anyway, stock is good enough for me. There was a day when the stock SMS app would only send the first 160 characters of a message on Verizon. Any text beyond that was lost. I don't know if it was the apps fault, or Verizon's, but that's the issue that initially prompted me to look at Handcent.

Hancdent broke these messages into parts and sent them individually. It also marked each message with it's part number (e.g., 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3). This feature is appreciated regardless of your choice of carriers, but particularly on Sprint, where it's anybody's best guess whether you'll even get your messages, let alone receive them in a coherent order. This problem has existed since the birth of Sprint and has never gone away for many.

However, there's another issue that I still hear about, and that's with the poor quality of MMS images. I believe the stock app limits images to a specific resolution and/or file size, and will adjust the image accordingly. If I'm not mistaken, most SMS apps (e.g., Chomp, Handcent, Go...) enable you to manually adjust this setting up to the maximum file size that your carriers network will accept. At least that's how it used to work. I just email my pics.

Jerrod #7

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 4 '13 @ 3:10 PM

Thanks for the info about having to actually buy the song to use it on other devices

Christopher Coleman #8

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 4 '13 @ 4:38 PM

Thanks for the info about having to actually buy the song to use it on other devices

Other Android devices should be able to use the app like normal, offline listening included. Computers, iPod, etc will require you to purchase the song so you'll have the actual mp3.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 4 '13 @ 5:59 PM

Other Android devices should be able to use the app like normal, offline listening included. Computers, iPod, etc will require you to purchase the song so you'll have the actual mp3.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked