Started by dmmarck ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #31

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 22 '13 @ 5:55 AM

While that is true the S4 is getting pretty damn close though.

Oh yeah, I completely agree.  The difference between the One and the S4 isn't nearly as egregious and abyssal as the One X and the S3, the former of which I think wipes the floor with the S3.  That whole floating image, at least at the time, blew my mind.

As far as the panels go, it's really up to the user. The LCD performs better in certain areas, as does the AMOLED. One of the things that I've gotten used to on the S4 that irks me a little on the One is that more often than not, I get the full screen real estate. Outside of including a menu button, HTC couldn't have done anything with this, but it doesn't change the fact that I get a larger viewing experience on the S4.

One of the key advantages to the LCD, one that I really like, is that it has the more effective auto brightness. I rarely have to make any changes to the brightness, whether I'm outside or not.

I agree, particularly with real estate--not necessarily screen size (although that plays a part), but Sense's inexplicable "black bar with a three-dot menu/settings button."

Our perception will be unique, but there are objective measures available (to a certain degree).  The consistent brightness is just one, as well as over-saturation and contrast with AMOLEDs (which is stunning on a well balanced, well calibrated screen, I might add).

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

7stringer #32

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted May 22 '13 @ 6:06 AM

One of my concerns with the One is indeed that misuse of screen real estate. The black bar with the menu button is horrendous, and I hope that they a) fix it, or B) more app developers integrate software menu buttons into the app. 

As for the displays, I hold a very similar opinion as DM. I, too, had a Galaxy Nexus, which I wanted for a) pure google, and B) AMOLED. Having had AMOLED for so long, and now having a SLCD, I can confidently say that I won't go back to AMOLED until a few things are addressed, name the concerns DM listed above. Also, and perhaps I simply have unnaturally good macro vision, but I could still see "jaggies" on the the S4's screen, specifically on text. I had to go cross-eyed trying to find them on the One and still couldn't discern pixels, whereas I was able to see the on the S4 without much squinting. That said, it's almost exclusive to text - anything picture or object was crisp and clear, but text still had stitching. It was something I hated on my Gnex, and do not miss at all. I'm also not dissatisfied with the One's ability to produce blacks. They are vastly better than previous LCD's, although not up to par with AMOLED. But the juxtaposition of white on black is better on the One since it handles whites so, so much better. 

I was torn and gave both the S4 and One a few hours in stores, but ultimately the build quality and display sold me on the One. I like some of the S4 features, such as S Health and the phenomenal camera, but I can download apps that do most of the features I would have used natively on the S4, and the camera is great enough for my needs. 

Oh yeah, I completely agree.  The difference between the One and the S4 isn't nearly as egregious and abyssal as the One X and the S3, the former of which I think wipes the floor with the S3.  That whole floating image, at least at the time, blew my mind.

As far as the panels go, it's really up to the user. The LCD performs better in certain areas, as does the AMOLED. One of the things that I've gotten used to on the S4 that irks me a little on the One is that more often than not, I get the full screen real estate. Outside of including a menu button, HTC couldn't have done anything with this, but it doesn't change the fact that I get a larger viewing experience on the S4.

One of the key advantages to the LCD, one that I really like, is that it has the more effective auto brightness. I rarely have to make any changes to the brightness, whether I'm outside or not.

I have the Rickets! 

dmmarck #33

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 22 '13 @ 7:57 AM

One of my concerns with the One is indeed that misuse of screen real estate. The black bar with the menu button is horrendous, and I hope that they a) fix it, or B) more app developers integrate software menu buttons into the app. 

As for the displays, I hold a very similar opinion as DM. I, too, had a Galaxy Nexus, which I wanted for a) pure google, and B) AMOLED. Having had AMOLED for so long, and now having a SLCD, I can confidently say that I won't go back to AMOLED until a few things are addressed, name the concerns DM listed above. Also, and perhaps I simply have unnaturally good macro vision, but I could still see "jaggies" on the the S4's screen, specifically on text. I had to go cross-eyed trying to find them on the One and still couldn't discern pixels, whereas I was able to see the on the S4 without much squinting. That said, it's almost exclusive to text - anything picture or object was crisp and clear, but text still had stitching. It was something I hated on my Gnex, and do not miss at all. I'm also not dissatisfied with the One's ability to produce blacks. They are vastly better than previous LCD's, although not up to par with AMOLED. But the juxtaposition of white on black is better on the One since it handles whites so, so much better. 

I was torn and gave both the S4 and One a few hours in stores, but ultimately the build quality and display sold me on the One. I like some of the S4 features, such as S Health and the phenomenal camera, but I can download apps that do most of the features I would have used natively on the S4, and the camera is great enough for my needs. 

I've heard that Sense uses technology licensed from Big Evil to present text.  Regardless if that's the case or not, fonts and text are certainly portrayed differently on both screens.  And that's not even getting into the blue tint evident on up close pictures for the S4's panel...

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #34

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 22 '13 @ 1:00 PM

Yeah that's one thing the S4 definitely beats the One at. For the most part anyway.

Except low light :).  

Well that's obvious, that's what HTC designed the One's camera to excel at, and they succeeded.

tonyadam0706 #35

tonyadam0706
  • 14 posts

Posted Mar 7 '16 @ 1:22 AM

Vote for Google S4, once you apply that update you'll no longer be stuck on the even more ancient Android 5.0 build LRX21P, from November 2014. At this rate, we wouldn't bet on the S4 GPE getting a Marshmallow treat. Or if it does eventually receive it, be prepared to wait well into 2016 for that to happen.