Photo

[I/O '13] Google unveils music subscription service titled Google Play All Access

Started by Christopher Coleman ,
music streaming io13

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted May 15 '13 @ 9:12 AM

xOTX3rw.png?1

Google is here to help you "discover the music you love," and to do so, they have announced Google Play Music All Access.  It is a subscription based music streaming service that provides users with "millions of tracks in addition to your library" and "gets your right to the music without any hassle."

The service will pull all your music that you've uploaded to Google Play Music, and integrate it right into All Access, so you can seamlessly browse the music available for streaming and your own library at the same time.  It is unclear if you have your own uploaded music if Google will match and stream its own copies a la Spotify or play your original uploads

When you open the app, it takes you to its Explore feature which provides personalized recommendations.  You can browse through your recommendations and play any song that is listed instantly.  The software can also instantly create a radio station based on the song you are playing.  It provides a 'peek' feature that allows you to slide your finger across the screen to see what's coming up.  You can also switch to a 'playlist' view which allows you to swipe away tracks you don't want to hear, and rearrange them.  Think a more streamlined version of Pandora.  Google has called it "radio without rules."

The service will be available on Android devices as well as PCs via a web browser.  It will cost $9.99 each month, or $7.99 if you sign up by June 30th.  Google is offering new users a 30 day free trial.

Update: The service is now live on the web.  Just head to Play Music and you should be prompted to activate All Access.

creccaj #2

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted May 15 '13 @ 9:27 AM

http://i.imgur.com/xOTX3rw.png?1...

Google is here to help you "discover the music you love," and to do so, they have announced Google Play Music All Access.  It is a subscription based music streaming service that provides users with "millions of tracks in addition to your library" and "gets your right to the music without any hassle."

The service will pull all your music that you've uploaded to Google Play Music, and integrate it right into All Access, so you can seamlessly browse the music available for streaming and your own library at the same time.  It is unclear if you have your own uploaded music if Google will match and stream its own copies a la Spotify or play your original uploads

When you open the app, it takes you to its Explore feature which provides personalized recommendations.  You can browse through your recommendations and play any song that is listed instantly.  The software can also instantly create a radio station based on the song you are playing.  It provides a 'peek' feature that allows you to slide your finger across the screen to see what's coming up.  You can also switch to a 'playlist' view which allows you to swipe away tracks you don't want to hear, and rearrange them.  Think a more streamlined version of Pandora.  Google has called it "radio without rules."

The service will be available on Android devices as well as PCs via a web browser.  It will cost $9.99 each month, or $7.99 if you sign up by June 30th.  Google is offering new users a 30 day free trial.

I already subscribed to this feature so the more I play with it I will be sure to post updates on how this goes.  

• Christopher Coleman likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 15 '13 @ 10:18 AM

Web interface is nice.  Is there a downloadable program?

I'm hoping it wins me over.  And that it allows offline playlists.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Christopher Coleman #4

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted May 15 '13 @ 10:48 AM

There's a update for the Google Music app that adds the All Access service.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted May 15 '13 @ 11:08 AM

As far as offline play goes, I was just able to pin an album that I don't own, it's downloading the tracks now.
  • dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 15 '13 @ 11:10 AM

As far as offline play goes, I was just able to pin an album that I don't own, it's downloading the tracks now.

Thank you!

gallery_7_18_817192.png

• Christopher Coleman likes this

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #7

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 15 '13 @ 4:58 PM

I subscribed to All access play music last month but today it  was canceled on me while I was listing  In the settings screen it told me that My next bill date was today 6.15. unless I canceled. Well I didn't and there is money in my checking account. Tonight  I listened for an hour and went to change the radio stations I had set up  and they have all disappeared. When I go to settings it tells me to subscribe for 7.99 before June 30.

I went to the help screen typed in my problem in the message area, highlighted the area on my screen showing that I was no longer subscribed, selected the option to be called by Google, pressed the submit button and was then told that the submit failed and to try again later.

So what is going on? What happened to my subscription. 

Anyone else have this problem?

Jerrod #8

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Jun 15 '13 @ 6:27 PM

Update:  I noticed my subscription lost about 8:00pm Est.  At 9:32 I received an email receipt from Google for my subscription stating that my next billing date was 7/15.  I checked my Pc and devices and My all access and radio stations have returned.

If  stopping the subscription, processing billing and restarting it again, is part of their normal process they are going to have unhappy confused customers.  

Anyway I am glad my stations and access have returned since I streamed about 160mg this afternoon.........over WIFI 

Cory Streater #9

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 16 '13 @ 9:23 AM

If  stopping the subscription, processing billing and restarting it again, is part of their normal process they are going to have unhappy confused customers. 

Based on my past experiences with Google, They have been terrible when it comes to order fulfillment & the hassle you have to go through if you need follow-up with them on an issue. Still a long way to go on that one. Glad you got it figured out.

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Jun 16 '13 @ 4:31 PM

Based on my past experiences with Google, They have been terrible when it comes to order fulfillment & the hassle you have to go through if you need follow-up with them on an issue. Still a long way to go on that one. Glad you got it figured out.

I know what you mean.  I had a few issues with them when I bought my N7.  Great at development, but needing improvement with customer supply chain processes.

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:06 PM

If stopping the subscription, processing billing and restarting it again, is part of their normal process they are going to have unhappy confused customers.

Based on my past experiences with Google, They have been terrible when it comes to order fulfillment & the hassle you have to go through if you need follow-up with them on an issue. Still a long way to go on that one. Glad you got it figured out.

I know what you mean. I had a few issues with them when I bought my N7. Great at development, but needing improvement with customer supply chain processes.

Big time. It's unreal how they can release products without the slightest idea of actually delivering them.

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png