Photo

Galaxy S4 vs "Google" S4

Started by creccaj ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Poll: Galaxy S4 vs Google S4 (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Which phone would you buy... Stock Galaxy S4 or Google Experience S4

1. Stock Samsung Galaxy S4 (8 votes [32.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

2. Google Galaxy S4 (7 votes [28.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Plastic at that price? Are you kidding me not a chance. (10 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Please Login To Vote:

creccaj #1

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted May 16 '13 @ 2:15 PM

Poll says it all, what say you?

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 17 '13 @ 6:16 PM

I think if it came down to it I would rather have the stock Samsung GS4 and then if I really wanted a so called "Nexus experience", I would just flash a custom AOSP ROM... this way you have the best of both worlds. The only pro I can think of for having the Google GS4 would be faster updates handled directly by Google, but if I remember correctly.. the GS3 on Verizon received its 4.2 update before the Galaxy Nexus did so you can't even rely on that, but that was more of Verizons fault and not Googles.

I just can't see myself buying any Google experience phone knowing that it's capable of more features from the default manufacturer and can be removed at any given time with a custom ROM. If I'm going to buy a Nexus, its going to be a real Nexus, not a Nexus experience.
  • johnakared and Uncle Louie like this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

creccaj #3

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 18 '13 @ 5:00 AM

I think if it came down to it I would rather have the stock Samsung GS4 and then if I really wanted a so called "Nexus experience", I would just flash a custom AOSP ROM... this way you have the best of both worlds. The only pro I can think of for having the Google GS4 would be faster updates handled directly by Google, but if I remember correctly.. the GS3 on Verizon received its 4.2 update before the Galaxy Nexus did so you can't even rely on that, but that was more of Verizons fault and not Googles.

I just can't see myself buying any Google experience phone knowing that it's capable of more features from the default manufacturer and can be removed at any given time with a custom ROM. If I'm going to buy a Nexus, its going to be a real Nexus, not a Nexus experience.

To add on to what your saying about receiving updates on the Nexus... if you have a Nexus device do updates really concern the usual Nexus user that much considering you will be more concerned with new versions of the ROMs?  I guess ROM updates could come quicker, but how much quicker could they possibly come?  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

wonner #4

wonner
  • 30 posts
  • Device: i337

Posted May 19 '13 @ 12:49 PM

If I wasn't so lazy I'd sell mine for the Google version just for the unlocked bootloader. I do like some of Samsung's features but I'd rather have the unlocked bootloader. That and ATT's past update record is horrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted May 19 '13 @ 1:11 PM

I'd be surprised if you guys don't get some bad ass ROM action after dumps from the version Google will be selling show up.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

wonner #6

wonner
  • 30 posts

Posted May 19 '13 @ 1:18 PM

I'd be surprised if you guys don't get some bad ass ROM action after dumps from the version Google will be selling show up.

The funny part is that there's already ROMs ready to go, even a AOKP build... but no one can flash anything until the bootloader is unlocked\cracked. The devs just made them blind.

Cory Streater #7

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted May 19 '13 @ 1:44 PM

The funny part is that there's already ROMs ready to go, even a AOKP build... but no one can flash anything until the bootloader is unlocked\cracked. The devs just made them blind.

Grrrr. That's really frustrating. Have you rooted yet?

creccaj #8

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 19 '13 @ 2:01 PM

Didn't I read somewhere that there is a toolkit that is going to be released once the dev gets the Verizon GS4?  

tacsig513.png

wonner #9

wonner
  • 30 posts

Posted May 19 '13 @ 2:32 PM

Grrrr. That's really frustrating. Have you rooted yet?

Yessir, it was the first thing I did.  Thanks to the Xposed framework we're able to do a lot of customization though, almost custom ROM-like. 

Didn't I read somewhere that there is a toolkit that is going to be released once the dev gets the Verizon GS4?  

The guy who figured out how to root it also (allegedly) figured out how to unlock the bootloader, and he's releasing it once the Verizon version starts shipping.  I think he's waiting so that Samsung can't patch his work and screw over Verizon's GS4 owners (he already owns the AT&T model).

• Cory Streater and Nexusisneecesary like this

dmmarck #10

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 19 '13 @ 3:53 PM

That sounds absolutely terrifying lol

• creccaj and Pat like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #11

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 19 '13 @ 5:22 PM

Terrifying sounds about right.  I wouldn't be the guinea pig to test out the first AOKP or CM rom lol.  

tacsig513.png

OrangeAndBlackk #12

OrangeAndBlackk
  • 5 posts
  • Device: iPhone 5

Posted May 19 '13 @ 5:26 PM

I'm an AOSP junkie and won't use anything but Pure Android for personal use. That being said, there's no way in hell I'm dishing out $650 for Samsung's shitty hardware. Not a chance.

• dmmarck and creccaj like this

goose #13

goose
  • 1 posts
  • Device: Motorola Droid Razr HD

Posted May 19 '13 @ 6:48 PM

give me a Motorola Nexus and I'll be all over that.  One can daydream, right?

• Cory Streater and dmmarck like this

dmmarck #14

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 19 '13 @ 6:51 PM

give me a Motorola Nexus and I'll be all over that.  One can daydream, right?

There's hope with the X Phone.  I'm hoping that will be "the" Nexus...

tacsig513.png

Elvis_Marmaduke #15

Elvis_Marmaduke
  • 3 posts

Posted May 19 '13 @ 8:43 PM

Google version because you KNOW you will get AOSP updates without worrying about drivers issues or days on the ports/ROMs people will make. And you'll have full AOSP support for at least 2 years+

I'm all for MODing and ROMing, been doing it for 3 years+ non-stop, but I'm just comparing what you get.

Blackmannx #16

Blackmannx
  • Mandingo
  • 17 posts
  • Device: Something you don't have..

Posted May 19 '13 @ 8:46 PM

So just to say this..  once you use the HTC ONE you don't go back to the fantastic plastic...

Updated by Blackmannx, May 19 '13 @ 8:46 PM.

• dmmarck, creccaj and OrangeAndBlackk like this
Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x

2defmouze #17

2defmouze
  • 18 posts
  • Device: Nexus 4 ; Nexus 7

Posted May 20 '13 @ 3:09 AM

Google version because you KNOW you will get AOSP updates.... And you'll have full AOSP support for at least 2 years+

I don't believe this part was stated or confirmed anywhere.. I know it will get vanilla Android and "quick" updates, but I heard nothing about full AOSP support (there's an important difference, especially when it comes to developers trying to design stable ROMs) or the Nexus-like guarantee of 2 years of updates.

Of course if you saw it being reported otherwise, from a reputable source, please do share :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Christopher Coleman and Nexusisneecesary like this

Nexusisneecesary #18

Nexusisneecesary
  • Space Enthusiast
  • 82 posts
  • Device: Nexus 7,Droid Pro

Posted May 20 '13 @ 3:20 AM

Google version because you KNOW you will get AOSP updates.... And you'll have full AOSP support for at least 2 years+

I don't believe this part was stated or confirmed anywhere.. I know it will get vanilla Android and "quick" updates, but I heard nothing about full AOSP support (there's an important difference, especially when it comes to developers trying to design stable ROMs) or the Nexus-like guarantee of 2 years of updates.

Of course if you saw it being reported otherwise, from a reputable source, please do share :)

From what I understand while it is stock android,the updates are going to be pushed out from Samsung themselves,not Google..however I could be wrong.oh and good morning:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Updated by Nexusisneecesary, May 20 '13 @ 3:20 AM.

dmmarck #19

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 3:38 AM

Yup.  And who knows if they'll release source for it...

• Nexusisneecesary likes this

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #20

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 20 '13 @ 5:32 AM

I'm not sure I'd buy one, but I can understand the appeal. If it offered something impressive that the stock GS4 didn't, like some sort of improved hardware, I might think twice. In fact, if it shipped with the Exynos 5 Octa, regardless of how minor the differences are between it and the Snapdragon 600, I might consider it.

creccaj #21

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 5:53 AM

I'm not sure I'd buy one, but I can understand the appeal. If it offered something impressive that the stock GS4 didn't, like some sort of improved hardware, I might think twice. In fact, if it shipped with the Exynos 5 Octa, regardless of how minor the differences are between it and the Snapdragon 600, I might consider it.

I would actually prefer the Snapdragon.  I have seen a lot of reports that the Exynos has more lag and stutter issues than the Snapdragon CPU.  

That being said, the S4 is a polarizing phone and this just made it even more so.  You can see the "fanboy" wars starting already and there is bound to be a major debate once the phone actually hits the shelves (lets just hope there won't be a stocking debacle like the Nexus 4).

All that being said, the Google Experience S4 will basically become the dev device and therefore will eventually have everything (or almost evertying) ported over to the standard S4 once bootloaders have been unlocked which it will only be a matter of time.  Look at the support for the S3 now, its going to be the same case I'm sure.  

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #22

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 6:00 AM

I would actually prefer the Snapdragon.  I have seen a lot of reports that the Exynos has more lag and stutter issues than the Snapdragon CPU.  

That being said, the S4 is a polarizing phone and this just made it even more so.  You can see the "fanboy" wars starting already and there is bound to be a major debate once the phone actually hits the shelves (lets just hope there won't be a stocking debacle like the Nexus 4).

All that being said, the Google Experience S4 will basically become the dev device and therefore will eventually have everything (or almost evertying) ported over to the standard S4 once bootloaders have been unlocked which it will only be a matter of time.  Look at the support for the S3 now, its going to be the same case I'm sure.  

I'm actually very curious to see how both would perform without the animations in Touchwiz. With such a clean UI, I'd bet it'd be a very smooth experience.

creccaj #23

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 6:31 AM

Totally in agreement there.  Actually that will be a good showing on just how poorly optimized TouchWiz really is.  If there is no lag what so ever on the Google Experience S4 or on AOSP stock S4s then it just proves that TouchWiz still has a long way to go.  

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #24

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 6:42 AM

Totally in agreement there.  Actually that will be a good showing on just how poorly optimized TouchWiz really is.  If there is no lag what so ever on the Google Experience S4 or on AOSP stock S4s then it just proves that TouchWiz still has a long way to go.  

You can see the difference if you use an HTC One and S4 side by side. Sense 5 offers a much smoother experience because the UI gets out of its own way, whereas Touchwiz is so cluttered with transition animations and extra features that even a device as powerful as the S4 has a hard time with it. The pressure will definitely be on Samsung to improve it once people have their hands on the Google Edition of the S4 and see the difference.

Nexusisneecesary #25

Nexusisneecesary
  • Space Enthusiast
  • 82 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 2:41 PM

The sea has parted..err i meant to say the verizon s4's boot loader has been unlocked:)

http://www.droid-lif...ustom-recovery/

Cyber Warrior #26

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 20 '13 @ 2:46 PM

The sea has parted..err i meant to say the verizon s4's boot loader has been unlocked:)

Hmmm.. 3 days early. Hopefully Verizon doesn't patch it by then.. Ehh who we kidding, Verizon can't do anything that quickly lol.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Nexusisneecesary #27

Nexusisneecesary
  • Space Enthusiast
  • 82 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 2:52 PM

Hmmm.. 3 days early. Hopefully Verizon doesn't patch it by then.. Ehh who we kidding, Verizon can't do anything that quickly lol.

The only situation in which their lackadaisical attitude towards updates will benefit us:)

C Sab #28

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 20 '13 @ 3:44 PM

So just to say this..  once you use the HTC ONE you don't go back to the fantastic plastic...

I beg to differ. I tried out the S4 at a Futureshop, then I tried the One for a minute and I rushed by to the S4.

dmmarck #29

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 20 '13 @ 4:31 PM

So just to say this.. once you use the HTC ONE you don't go back to the fantastic plastic...

I beg to differ. I tried out the S4 at a Futureshop, then I tried the One for a minute and I rushed by to the S4.

That seems to be the exception :)

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

C Sab #30

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 20 '13 @ 4:58 PM

So just to say this.. once you use the HTC ONE you don't go back to the fantastic plastic...

That seems to be the exception :)

Sent from my HTC One

I usually am. :P