• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 17 '13 @ 11:32 PM

titaniuml.jpg

If you have a rooted Android phone, one app that’s essential for your device is Titanium Backup. Most of you must be already knowing it as an ultimate backup and restoration app, but there’s more to it than just that.

Here’s what we will be covering:

• How to Install Titanium Backup to Backup and Restore Apps (This Post)
  • How to Freeze/Uninstall System Apps
  • How to Backup and Restore SMS, Call Logs, Wi-Fi Settings
  • How to Schedule Backups (coming soon)
  • How to Restore Individual Apps from Nandroid Backup (coming soon)

So lets start from the very basics and see how you can use Titanium to back up and restore apps in bulk, but first we need to install the app.

Installing Titanium Backup
You can install Titanium Backup just like any other app from the Play Store. When you run the application for the first time you will be prompted for the app supersuer access. After you grant the access, it will initialize and read your system settings.
titanuimbackupforandroi.pngtitanuimbackupforandroi.png

Some of the features on the main page will be marked as red (not available) and these will remain this way as long as you are using a free copy. If you see problems with any non-donate feature, tap the Problems button at the bottom to update your device Supersuer and Busy Box.

titanuimbackupforandroi.png

Backing up Apps
First Backup
On the app main screen click on the check button on the top right corner to open up the Batch Backup/Restore section. Here you will see lots of batch backup and restore options with a Run button right next to them. To create your first backup, navigate to the Backup section. Tap the Run button next to Backup all user apps to get started. Never Never Never backup/restore system data from Titanium or any other backup program when moving to a new ROM. The system data from your old ROM will interfere with the new ROM every time.

Select all the apps you would like to backup and tap the green check button on the top right corner of the screen. The app will start the backup process and will save all the files to your SD card in a separate Titanium Backup Folder in archive format. The app will show the process on the notification drawer and will notify you after the backup is finished.

Subsequent Backups
Later when you want to update the last backup after you installed some new apps on your device or updated some data on some of the apps, you can modify the existing backup. Under the Backup section run the batch process to redo old backups in order to overwrite the old backups.

Restoring Apps
Before you start the restoration process you will have to allow app installation from third-party source on your Android from device’s security settings. Having done that you can simply tap any of the restoration scenarios you would like and start the restoration process. Once again, Never Never Never backup/restore system data.

Titanium Backup will restore all the apps along with their data to your device one by one. On the free version of the app, you will have to restore apps manually one after another. Just make sure that you don’t tap the open app button after restoring any of the apps to make the process faster.
If you buy the pro version from the market, all the apps will be silently restored to your phone, and if you have tons of apps on your device, it makes it worth the purchase.

Deleting Backups

titanuimbackupforandroi.png

If you would like to delete the backup of an app from the SD card after you have uninstalled it from your device, you can do it from the Delete backups section. Run the batch for Delete backups for un-installed apps.

• Cory Streater, Nexusisneecesary, Lee Bo and 1 other like this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 17 '13 @ 11:39 PM

NEW to Titanium Backup is the ability to create flashable zips of all your apps and data.

For those of you who are constantly switching through different ROMs, you know the repetitive process of... download a new ROM, backup all your apps with Titanium, reboot into recovery, perform a nandroid backup, wipe, install new ROM, boot and set up, then restore all your apps and data. Yeah, it's somewhat painful but it just got easier.

Well, thanks to a new update... you can now create a flashable zip of all your apps and data. That means that you can flash all your goodies right after a new ROM and fire up a system that's ready to go right out of the box. Awesome.

androidt.jpg
  • Cory Streater, Lee Bo and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 17 '13 @ 11:41 PM

How To Freeze/Uninstall System Apps

Freeze (Only available with Titanium Backup Pro) is a very useful option that lets you freeze up any app that you don’t want deleted, but don’t exactly want it to be running either. This option is handy for use with system apps mostly, that run unannounced and in cases where a certain app drains a lot of battery. If you’re not sure you want to delete them, you can at least stop them from running constantly in the background.

androidchannel.jpg
From the Backup/Restore tab... select the app that you want frozen. A popup window will bring up an option to freeze the app. Once the app is frozen, it will show up on the list highlighted in a blueish color (right image). To undo, simply select the frozen app and choose defrost to restore the app back to your device. If you're 100% sure that the app you do not want will not cause any harm if removed, you can then delete it from your phone... make sure to have a backup first. Deleted apps will show up on the list with a line going through them.
  • Cory Streater and Lee Bo like this

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 17 '13 @ 11:41 PM

Backing up and Restoring SMS, Call Logs, Wi-Fi Settings

Also from the Backup/Restore tab, is the option to backup and restore all of your current text messages (sms), list of phone calls made and your Wi-Fi settings. Scroll through the list and you'll see them highlighted in yellow. Simply select and choose the backup or restore option.

androidchanneltitaniumb.jpg
  • Cory Streater, Lee Bo and lpt2569 like this

tacsig513.png

Lee Bo #5

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted May 23 '13 @ 7:56 AM

Excellent article.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 23 '13 @ 1:56 PM

Hate to say it, but TiBu still scares the death out of me.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Nexusisneecesary #7

Nexusisneecesary
  • Space Enthusiast
  • 82 posts
  • Device: Nexus 7,Droid Pro

Posted May 23 '13 @ 2:44 PM

why exactly? I use ROM toolbox pro instead of tibu and it's well worth the money,but sometimes it makes me nervous..especially when it's making a nandroid and takes forever with every extra second that passes I grow slightly more nervous..lol it hasn't failed me yet(the keyword here:p)

Nexusisneecesary #8

Nexusisneecesary
  • Space Enthusiast
  • 82 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 2:59 PM

why exactly? I use ROM toolbox pro instead of tibu and it's well worth the money,but sometimes it makes me nervous..especially when it's making a nandroid and takes forever with every extra second that passes I grow slightly more nervous..lol it hasn't failed me yet(the keyword here:p)

Actually expect an extensive quide on rom toolbox within the next couple hours..because why not :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Cory Streater and Cyber Warrior like this

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 3:02 PM

One of the things I really like that TiBu did a few updates ago was add the ability to backup sms,call logs,wifi access points, bluetooth pairings, bookmarks, data usage, wallpaper & widgets. The only thing I'm not seeing is 'Alarms' which I wish they would do. I used to use both TiBu and MyBackup Pro because you only used to be able to backup sms, call logs, etc with MBP. Now that TiBu can do all of that and more I have no use for MBP anymore... just missing that Alarm feature.
  • Nexusisneecesary likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexusisneecesary #10

Nexusisneecesary
  • Space Enthusiast
  • 82 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 4:57 PM

Actually expect an extensive quide on rom toolbox within the next couple hours..because why not :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's up now..Although i have a feeling i probably left something out...

Updated by Nexusisneecesary, May 23 '13 @ 5:03 PM.

• dmmarck likes this

Ahowe125 #11

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 6:51 PM

Very nice write up. I had to experiment when I first started using TiBu but got the hang of it and learned my lessons backup and restoring all system data, lol I have not tired the zip function yet, but if I am called to a different ROM I'll be sure to try it out. 

• Cory Streater likes this
| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |