Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 18 '13 @ 4:56 AM

Convert Video For Android Devices for Free with HandBrake

convertu.jpg

There are numerous video converter software tools on the Internet (by a simple Google search) that can be used to convert video files to play on Android phones and tablets. Here I’d like to share a totally free video converter application named HandBrake. HandBrake is quite easy to use in that it provides optimized presets for all your Android devices and even Apple devices as well. There’s also a universal preset for all iOS and Android devices. Besides, you are allowed to crop the video area, customize video and audio parameters, import subtitles, etc.

Below is the main interface of HandBrake for Windows:
convertvideowithhandbra.jpg
Using HandBrake, you can easily import video files from your computer, choose a desired profile and start to convert on the fly.

WARNING

Disclaimer: To rip encrypted DVDs, you'll need the DVD43 plug-in, which circumvents the publisher's digital rights management technology. Such procedures currently occupy something of a legal gray area. You probably won't face any legal consequences if you simply rip your legally purchased movie collection for your own use, but we're just going to present the instructions and let you decide for yourself whether to follow the steps. The Android Channel is not responsible for any damages that result from this how-to.

Getting Started

1) Download and install HandBrake. This open-source video transcoder is free, and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

2) If you are looking to rip an encrypted DVD, grab a DVD decrypter such as DVD43 (Windows) or libdvdcss (Mac) to circumvent the built-in disc restrictions.

3) When you launch the HandBrake program, click the Source button and select the DVD (or video file if not using a disc) from the drop-down menu. HandBrake will then scan the disc for titles to copy. This step can take some time, depending on how much data is on your disc.
The Source selection menu
handbrakesourceselectio.jpg

4) When HandBrake has finished its scan, click the Title drop-down menu to choose the section to copy. This step can involve a bit of trial and error; generally speaking, though, if you want to rip the main movie, select the title with the longest run time. Otherwise, you might end up with a rip of the previews or the menu screen, but not the actual movie.
When in doubt, rip the longest title... that's most likely the actual movie and not the special features/trailer
handbraketitle5231731.jpg

5) Next, look at HandBrake’s preset menu on the right side. It has a list of preset outputs for Apple and Android devices. If you don't intend to use any of the game consoles, iOS or Android devices included in the presets, you can manually arrange your own settings by choosing Normal or High Profile.

6) The Video tab lets you fine-tune your project, and has some options that will allow you to adjust the final quality of your movie. Just remember that the higher the quality, the larger the file size. If your device is short on storage space, try the Target Size option to have HandBrake rip to your storage requirements.

7) You can tweak the audio quality under the Audio tab. Here you can select different bit rates and Dolby processing, but the default settings are often good enough.

8) If you are ripping more than one title, click Add to Queue; otherwise, click Start, and watch the magic begin. 

Once finished, you can then transfer the output video files to your Android device... Enjoy!

TIP

Other Handbrake Tips that might be Useful:

Handbrake is a very powerful and very efficient tool to have, especially if you have a huge collection of DVD/video movies that you want to back-up, or to watch on different media. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) Always check the copyright notices on the DVDs you plan to copy (in fact it is fair legal to backup your own DVDs). Make sure you have full copy right of your DVDs or source video, and never use Handbrake for illegal purposes, such as for piracy or commercial gain.

2) If you want to rip TV episodes instead of a movie, you either need to convert the episodes one at a time, or try a simpler solution: build a queue.

To build a queue:

a. First select the Enable Queue options.

b. Set up all of the options for each episode.

c. Click, Add to Queue.

d. Repeat for each episode.

Have any tips or recommendations? Feel free to share your knowledge in the comments below.

• Cory Streater, inkdaddy66, Nexusisneecesary and 2 others like this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

inkdaddy66 #2

inkdaddy66
  • the guy on the couch
  • 13 posts
  • Device: note 2

Posted May 20 '13 @ 1:19 PM

Thanks for the guide. I tried using handbrake before and just couldn't get it to work for me. I'll follow what you have here step by step.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

• Nexusisneecesary likes this

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 4:02 PM

Thanks for the guide. I tried using handbrake before and just couldn't get it to work for me. I'll follow what you have here step by step.

YouTube video guide is now up.

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:14 PM

YouTube video guide is now up.

Awesome, thank you!

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Radford #5

Radford
  • 1 posts

Posted Jul 17 '13 @ 6:26 AM

Great tutorial.

I have Handbrake and AppGeeker video converter installed on my computer. Handbrake only output mkv and mp4 file format, while sometimes I need to get wmv files to edit in Windows Movie Maker.

http://www.appgeeker.com

Both of them works like a charm.

Updated by Radford, Feb 21 '14 @ 3:01 AM.

• Cory Streater likes this

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 17 '13 @ 8:51 AM

@Radford,

Thanks! I haven't checked out AppGeeker yet and will check it out. 

martinamiller #7

martinamiller
  • 1 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 11:54 PM

Android is a leading operating system for mobile devices and smartphones developed by Google. An excellent feature of Android is the ability to store and watch your videos on your mobile device. Videos are encoded in many different formats for different devices and it is necessary to convert your videos to a format compatible with the Android operating system. You can try to use Android Video Converter like me. I have use it for a long time.

Cory Streater #8

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 21 '13 @ 12:16 AM

Android is a leading operating system for mobile devices and smartphones developed by Google. An excellent feature of Android is the ability to store and watch your videos on your mobile device. Videos are encoded in many different formats for different devices and it is necessary to convert your videos to a format compatible with the Android operating system. You can try to use Android Video Converter like me. I have use it for a long time.

Why is it that Audio Converter developers spam forums so much? You've posted this on about 2 dozen forums in the past 24 hours. Is competition that fierce?
  • dmmarck and Ahowe125 like this

Ahowe125 #9

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 21 '13 @ 10:09 AM

I was just thinking about how this worked the other day now that I have my N7 I want to get a few videos on it. I'll have to check it out here soon. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Simpalm #10

Simpalm
  • 4 posts

Posted Apr 9 '15 @ 12:26 AM

Every Android device is different, but you can take a look at your phone's tech specs page to see what your screen resolution is (for example, here's the Motorola Droid's page, which notes the screen resolution as 480x854).
18ixt6i1i3dsnpng.png
Thus, to convert a video for your phone, open it up in Handbrake and hit the "iPhone & iPod Touch" profile in the right sidebar. Then, click on the Picture tab (or the "Picture Settings" button along the top of the HandBrake window, if you're on a Mac) and set the "Anamorphic" box to "loose". Change the width of the video to match the height of your phone's screen in pixels (since you'll be watching the movie with your phone in landscape format)—in the Droid's case, 854 (or the closest you can get to 854). Convert the video, and then connect your phone and copy it to your SD card. It should play through Android's Gallery app without a hitch.
It may seem obvious, but it took me a lot of manual fiddling before I realized that the iPhone setting would probably work fine. So hopefully those of you that are still having problems can use this method. Of course, if you have space to spare and would rather just watch DivX or MKV videos on your phone, you can always check out previously mentioned RockPlayer.

Updated by Cory Streater, May 23 '15 @ 5:35 PM.

edwards142 #11

edwards142
  • 1 posts

Posted May 19 '16 @ 2:22 AM

As you know not all videos are supported to play on your Android phone or tablet. It's a common issue that Android users are facing. Thanks to Android video converter, that easily fixes video compatibility problems. You can easily use a video converter to transcode your favorite video to android device supported format and enjoy it on your Android device.  I have used this device and got satisfied output also, so you must also try it.

1minhlakin #12

1minhlakin
  • 10 posts

Posted Jan 17 '17 @ 2:24 AM

Thank for the guide :)

Build mobile app for your eCommerce website!
Magento 2 Mobile App | Magento Store Manager on Mobile | Magento Mobile

mxffiles #13

mxffiles
  • 1 posts

Posted Mar 21 '17 @ 5:07 AM

Great tutorial.

I have Handbrake and AppGeeker video converter installed on my computer. Handbrake only output mkv and mp4 file format, while sometimes I need to get wmv files to edit in Windows Movie Maker.

http://www.appgeeeker.com

Both of them works like a charm.

mxf converter works well on video transfer conversion.