HTC One: Transcending Design

Started by Eric Kane ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Eric Kane #1

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 21 '13 @ 6:41 AM

Let me preface my comments here by stating that I've never had the opportunity to be a part of designing a smartphone. I've probably designed a thousand or so of them in my mind, but I've never felt the excitement of seeing my ideas come to fruition. I have, however, spent quite a bit of time trying to imagine the position HTC was in when pen met paper to start the creation of the One. The most interesting thing to me about it is that even with all the ideas I've had, the phone sitting in front of me on my desk trumps them all.

When the average consumer looks at the HTC One, I imagine they appreciate the beauty of it, but not nearly as much as they would if they understood the stakes behind it. This device is the culmination of a lot of hardwork, a lot of frustration, and a lot of desperation from a company that has done so much right over the years, but hasn't been able to really break through. A lot of that falls on their own shoulders, as failed marketing scheme after failed marketing scheme has put them in this position they're in today. I find that when our backs are against the wall, however, that our best work comes out. HTC has certainly proven that statement true with the HTC One.

There are those of you who will say "But it's just build quality and design. There's more to it than that." While I agree, I put the most emphasis on the design of this device because of what it means for HTC going forward. If you've ever used a Droid DNA or HTC 8X, you've experienced the curved back that creates this illusion of thinness while achieving an incredible feel in the hand. This is something I believe they'll utilize in the future on most their devices because it simply works.

The rest, and I may have people who disagree with me here, was crafted after the iPhone 5 came out. The anodized aluminum, the chamfered edges, and the bezel; HTC saw a great design that resonates with so many consumers, but knew they could do it better. The curved back eliminates the rigid, almost lifeless feel the iPhone 5 has while maintaining the thin frame. It's more comfortable to hold and balances the weight of the device. The only thing left was to figure out how to utilize the bezel, and HTC hit this one out of the park with the final stroke to the canvas of a masterpiece. The top and bottom of the bezel became the front-facing speakers, a design element that is not only aesthetically pleasing, but incredibly functional.

Yes, this is only one device, but going forward, it will be so much more. HTC now has a template, a build quality and design that will become synonymous with the name "One". So when I look down at my desk at the Stealth Black version of the HTC One, I see a beautiful device that is a joy to use. Looking beyond that, I see what will become a successful brand, all stemming from the moment the final draft of this design was presented.

• dmmarck and HelloNNNewman like this

Ricky Babalu #2

Ricky Babalu
  • Beach Bum
  • 87 posts
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted May 21 '13 @ 9:55 AM

I hope they succeed and are still around when I go to purchase my next phone. I try to experience every manufacurer at least once and HTC is probably my next experience. So far I have had:

Palm

Blackberry

Motorola

Samsung (current)

HTC (most likely next phone) ***Hopefully when I am ready to purchase they will have a flagship phone built on the success of the One.

076fd490-c574-4ef8-a8ee-6a51c4fa5261_zps

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 21 '13 @ 12:30 PM

While I very much prefer the S4, the One does look like a phone that won't disappoint those that choose it and I also hope HTC succeeds to make even better stuff along with Samsung, LG, and everyone else.

Chetan Takyar #4

Chetan Takyar
  • 4 posts

Posted May 21 '13 @ 3:00 PM

Let me preface my comments here by stating that I've never had the opportunity to be a part of designing a smartphone. I've probably designed a thousand or so of them in my mind, but I've never felt the excitement of seeing my ideas come to fruition. I have, however, spent quite a bit of time trying to imagine the position HTC was in when pen met paper to start the creation of the One. The most interesting thing to me about it is that even with all the ideas I've had, the phone sitting in front of me on my desk trumps them all.

When the average consumer looks at the HTC One, I imagine they appreciate the beauty of it, but not nearly as much as they would if they understood the stakes behind it. This device is the culmination of a lot of hardwork, a lot of frustration, and a lot of desperation from a company that has done so much right over the years, but hasn't been able to really break through. A lot of that falls on their own shoulders, as failed marketing scheme after failed marketing scheme has put them in this position they're in today. I find that when our backs are against the wall, however, that our best work comes out. HTC has certainly proven that statement true with the HTC One.

There are those of you who will say "But it's just build quality and design. There's more to it than that." While I agree, I put the most emphasis on the design of this device because of what it means for HTC going forward. If you've ever used a Droid DNA or HTC 8X, you've experienced the curved back that creates this illusion of thinness while achieving an incredible feel in the hand. This is something I believe they'll utilize in the future on most their devices because it simply works.

The rest, and I may have people who disagree with me here, was crafted after the iPhone 5 came out. The anodized aluminum, the chamfered edges, and the bezel; HTC saw a great design that resonates with so many consumers, but knew they could do it better. The curved back eliminates the rigid, almost lifeless feel the iPhone 5 has while maintaining the thin frame. It's more comfortable to hold and balances the weight of the device. The only thing left was to figure out how to utilize the bezel, and HTC hit this one out of the park with the final stroke to the canvas of a masterpiece. The top and bottom of the bezel became the front-facing speakers, a design element that is not only aesthetically pleasing, but incredibly functional.

Yes, this is only one device, but going forward, it will be so much more. HTC now has a template, a build quality and design that will become synonymous with the name "One". So when I look down at my desk at the Stealth Black version of the HTC One, I see a beautiful device that is a joy to use. Looking beyond that, I see what will become a successful brand, all stemming from the moment the final draft of this design was presented.

If only HTC had a stronger marketing campaign:(

dmmarck #5

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 22 '13 @ 8:15 AM

Superb piece, thank you.

Since I've had my One, most of the compliments have come from one type of user--the iPhone user.  From my mother to colleagues, people remark at how smart the design is, and notably, how cleanly the design lines flow throughout the device.

The one big issue with the design, IMO, is the white plastic bordering.  Mine has already had marks on it from the charger, and on my prior unit, it took to a stain fairly easily.  Is this a dealbreaker?  Not for me.  But if there was any weakness, that, IMO, it's that porous white material (or, presumably, black/grey material on the Stealth Black models).

In light of recent reports regarding HTC's "futility," I only hope that HTC does not ditch this design logic too quickly.  As far as Android is concerned, it sets them apart from the rest of the OEMs.  If Samsung can "borrow" Apple's marketing genius, why can't HTC borrow Apple's eye towards design?

That being said, with regards to marketing, the first weekend I had the device I saw a few commercials during the NFL draft, as well as a gentleman wearing an HTC ONE "Boomsound" shirt at a bar.  It's nowhere near the "Next Big Thing," but hey, it's a start. 

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Eric Kane #6

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 8:38 AM

Superb piece, thank you.

Since I've had my One, most of the compliments have come from one type of user--the iPhone user.  From my mother to colleagues, people remark at how smart the design is, and notably, how cleanly the design lines flow throughout the device.

The one big issue with the design, IMO, is the white plastic bordering.  Mine has already had marks on it from the charger, and on my prior unit, it took to a stain fairly easily.  Is this a dealbreaker?  Not for me.  But if there was any weakness, that, IMO, it's that porous white material (or, presumably, black/grey material on the Stealth Black models).

In light of recent reports regarding HTC's "futility," I only hope that HTC does not ditch this design logic too quickly.  As far as Android is concerned, it sets them apart from the rest of the OEMs.  If Samsung can "borrow" Apple's marketing genius, why can't HTC borrow Apple's eye towards design?

That being said, with regards to marketing, the first weekend I had the device I saw a few commercials during the NFL draft, as well as a gentleman wearing an HTC ONE "Boomsound" shirt at a bar.  It's nowhere near the "Next Big Thing," but hey, it's a start. 

I have absolutely no qualms with what they've done as it pertains to the design. I was thoroughly impressed by the design of the iPhone 5. In my opinion, there was no better example in which to build from. The only issue I would have had was if they didn't improve upon it, but they did. The front facing speakers and the curved back add so much to the look and feel of the device.

• 7stringer likes this

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 8:40 AM

Superb piece, thank you.

I have absolutely no qualms with what they've done as it pertains to the design. I was thoroughly impressed by the design of the iPhone 5. In my opinion, there was no better example in which to build from. The only issue I would have had was if they didn't improve upon it, but they did. The front facing speakers and the curved back add so much to the look and feel of the device.

I simply cannot comprehend why no one did this before, at least with a smartphone (Nexus 10 excluded).

• 7stringer likes this

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #8

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 8:47 AM

Superb piece, thank you.

I simply cannot comprehend why no one did this before, at least with a smartphone (Nexus 10 excluded).

Same here. The bezel has always been there, top and bottom, to be utilized. Your guess is as good as mine. Now if only those capacitive buttons were done differently...

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 8:52 AM

Superb piece, thank you.

Same here. The bezel has always been there, top and bottom, to be utilized. Your guess is as good as mine. Now if only those capacitive buttons were done differently...

Agreed.  Thankfully, the HTC logo can be mapped.  Still, it shouldn't even be there in the first place.

tacsig513.png

HelloNNNewman #10

HelloNNNewman
  • 7 posts
  • Device: HTC One and Pre3

Posted May 22 '13 @ 12:52 PM

...The one big issue with the design, IMO, is the white plastic bordering.  Mine has already had marks on it from the charger, and on my prior unit, it took to a stain fairly easily.  Is this a dealbreaker?  Not for me....

Agreed that the edges tend to get marks on them.  But have found that a pencil eraser will clean them off rather well without making any other marks or stains.

@OP.. nice write-up

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 4:00 PM

...The one big issue with the design, IMO, is the white plastic bordering.  Mine has already had marks on it from the charger, and on my prior unit, it took to a stain fairly easily.  Is this a dealbreaker?  Not for me....

Agreed that the edges tend to get marks on them.  But have found that a pencil eraser will clean them off rather well without making any other marks or stains.

@OP.. nice write-up

Heh...how many times have you tested that theory? :P

tacsig513.png

HelloNNNewman #12

HelloNNNewman
  • 7 posts
  • Device: HTC One and Pre3

Posted May 22 '13 @ 5:52 PM

LOL... i actually got it off of another tech site.  Mine had some coloring (staining) on the white edging so I tried it out.  Worked perfectly.    But now I keep it in the case just so I don't ugly it up again.  ;)

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #13

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 5:54 PM

LOL... i actually got it off of another tech site.  Mine had some coloring (staining) on the white edging so I tried it out.  Worked perfectly.    But now I keep it in the case just so I don't ugly it up again.  ;)

Same--i'm way too scared lol.  Clear TPU for now, but supposedly my Poetic Atmosphere will make it from Maine to here in under 24 hours.

• 7stringer likes this

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #14

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 5:56 PM

They've recommended using black permanent marker for the chamfered edges on the Stealth Black version. Not sure I could do that to this phone. It's just far too pretty to do that.

7stringer #15

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted May 23 '13 @ 5:45 AM

I've only had mine a few days, but i don't think there's any way the black plastic could really stain the way the white one does. If I scratch the metal at all, I assume a permanent marker could work..though, like Eric, I also would feel uneasy doing that to such a pretty phone. 

I have the Rickets! 

Malik Suleman #16

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 2:13 PM

yeah its cool and ever amazing before