HTC Samsung One Facebook Facebook Home HTC One HTC First S4 Galaxy

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 21 '13 @ 7:27 PM

Well, this is something I didn't want to read any time soon.  Courtesy of The Verge.

It's a sobering read to say the least, and really underscores a few things: (i) the complete failure of Facebook Home and the HTC First, (ii) too little too late with the One (and to a much lesser extent, One X), and (iii) the complete domination of Samsung and its marketing gurus.

Morale may also be drained by the First, the vaunted "Facebook phone" introduced at the social network's April event. According to people briefed on the plans, Facebook had originally signaled its intention to launch the downloadable version of Facebook Home on a significant delay, giving the First some period of exclusivity. Instead, Facebook changed course and made Home available as a Play download the same week that the First launched. Since then, rumors have suggested that the First is hovering near death amid poor sales — rumors bolstered by a quick price cut from $99 to just 99 cents on contract. The phone is "a disaster," one source says.

If there was a common thread among everyone The Verge spoke with for this story, it was Samsung's brutal dominance: the Korean giant's own-sourced display and processor combined with an enormous marketing war chest make competing in Android extraordinarily difficult, even as reviews have consistently lauded the gorgeous One and bashed the S4's cheap plastic and comparably safe — even boring — design.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted May 21 '13 @ 11:51 PM

Looking back, what do you think they could have done differently?

Personally, I think it has less to do with Samsung and more to do with them overextending themselves. The original Nexus One was a smashing success IMHO, and had they continued pumping out phones that matched the build quality of the original Nexus One, I don't think Samsung would be such a threat to them. 

Also, I thought they marketed the Nexus One really well. I guess the average consumer wouldn't take the time to watch these video's, but they sure sucked me in:

• 7stringer likes this

7stringer #3

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted May 22 '13 @ 5:35 AM

This is unbelievably frustrating and disconcerting, and sadly, it's articles like this that perpetuate the issue. The Verge has a huge readership, and when they post things like this to those not necessarily aware of the current volatility between Samsung and HTC, it gives readers less hope for a company, despite the cliff-hanging BS line of "even as reviews have consistently lauded the gorgeous One and bashed the S4's cheap plastic and comparably safe — even boring — design." HTC becomes an afterthought at that point because a) this line is so late in the article, and the article's title is nothing if negligently slanderous. 

Updated by 7stringer, May 22 '13 @ 5:37 AM.

I have the Rickets! 

Eric Kane #4

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 22 '13 @ 6:30 AM

This is unbelievably frustrating and disconcerting, and sadly, it's articles like this that perpetuate the issue. The Verge has a huge readership, and when they post things like this to those not necessarily aware of the current volatility between Samsung and HTC, it gives readers less hope for a company, despite the cliff-hanging BS line of "even as reviews have consistently lauded the gorgeous One and bashed the S4's cheap plastic and comparably safe — even boring — design." HTC becomes an afterthought at that point because a) this line is so late in the article, and the article's title is nothing if negligently slanderous. 

As much as I want to point the finger at someone/something else for this, I can't. They've made some questionable decisions over the last few years that have cost them not only in that moment, but in future campaigns, as well. As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think the One, as great as it is, was the answer.

I've said this numerous times, but the One is a reviewers wet dream. If you read Engadget, The Verge, Anandtech, etc, there's a consistency in most of their reviews that target specific things; low light camera performance, heavily skinned UIs, build quality/materials, benchmarks/performance, battery life, and design. HTC seemingly took a checklist to all the negatives pointed out in reviews and fixed almost everyone of them. Their build quality is second to none, their UI is no longer heavy or sluggish, the battery life is excellent, the camera specifically targeted low light, the benchmarks and performance match one another, and Sense 5 is beautifully designed.

The problem there is that while pleasing someone who's tech savvy can also translate to a good experience for the average consumer, it doesn't mean it will. I see all those positives about the One and bought it immediately because they mean something to me. To the average user, the build quality, the low light camera performance, and the beauty of Sense 5 might not mean the same and may not be priorities when purchasing their next smartphone.

Enter the Samsung Galaxy S3/4 and the iPhone 4S/5. The previous iterations are at lower price points and have a year of solid marketing behind them. The newer devices have the reputation of their predecessors and in some areas, new and "exciting" features. These phones are geared to do just enough to please the tech savvy and do more than enough to please the average consumer. The HTC One, however, has to rely on absolutely glowing reviews as they have years of prior disappointments and two juggernauts to compete with it.  

With all that said, I don't know where they go from here. It's demoralizing to see prominent members of the company jump ship while companies like Samsung tout their 10 million shipped/sold. I'm not giving up on HTC or the One, but this doesn't look good.

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #5

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 9:54 AM

For those who somehow have faith in an online petition being able to save a company of this size, there's always this:

https://www.change.o...-excited-people

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #6

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 22 '13 @ 8:14 PM

I mentioned earlier today after the Verge article and after no Verizon One was announced that Samsung will probably announce their sales figures to keep their foot on HTCs throat. I was right.

Samsung Galaxy S4 hits 10 million units shipped, new colors coming this summer

http://www.theverge....n-units-shipped

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 6:25 AM

I mentioned earlier today after the Verge article and after no Verizon One was announced that Samsung will probably announce their sales figures to keep their foot on HTCs throat. I was right.

I just read that the One has sold approximately 5 million units, which, if accurate, signals very strong sales figures for a device that was released a month ago.

Not 10 million, obviously, but its a start, particularly considering the lack of marketing and the manufacturing delays.

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #8

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 6:29 AM

I just read that the One has sold approximately 5 million units, which, if accurate, signals very strong sales figures for a device that was released a month ago.

Not 10 million, obviously, but its a start, particularly considering the lack of marketing and the manufacturing delays.

After the day they had yesterday, as well as Samsung deciding to kick them while they were down, it isn't surprising they'd leak something. I'm not 100% confident in an unnamed source saying "around" 5 million, as that's conveniently half of what Samsung sold, but it may very well be true. It's a smart move regardless because it will bring some sort of positivity to the people who support them, something sorely needed after yesterday.

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 6:34 AM

After the day they had yesterday, as well as Samsung deciding to kick them while they were down, it isn't surprising they'd leak something. I'm not 100% confident in an unnamed source saying "around" 5 million, as that's conveniently half of what Samsung sold, but it may very well be true. It's a smart move regardless because it will bring some sort of positivity to the people who support them, something sorely needed after yesterday.

Agreed.  Also, do you think there's anything to the "sold" v. "shipped" distinction?  Does "shipped" not include units shipped to individual stores, e.g. Verizon Stores, AT&T Stores, Best Buy, etc.?

tacsig513.png

Eric Kane #10

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts

Posted May 23 '13 @ 7:21 AM

Agreed.  Also, do you think there's anything to the "sold" v. "shipped" distinction?  Does "shipped" not include units shipped to individual stores, e.g. Verizon Stores, AT&T Stores, Best Buy, etc.?

I think that gets thrown around a little too much, specifically in the Apple vs Samsung debates. For the OEM, if they sold the product, that's all that matters. For them, shipping is sold. If you continue to ship devices, the carriers are selling your product. Apple can keep track of actual units sold because they have retail stores and their own website to track a good portion of it.

7stringer #11

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted May 23 '13 @ 7:47 AM

I've always wondered the same thing. You can have a simple "units moved" component, which could likely be redirected for media purposes as "X amount sold," but that number wouldn't equate to revenue in sales, because the holistic idea of total units sold can likely account for sales, devices given away to developers at conferences, in-store devices, etc. 

I have the Rickets!