Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted May 21 '13 @ 8:31 PM

xboxone.jpg

SPECS

Custom SoC built by AMD and Microsoft containing an 8-core CPU and GPU.
Slot-loading Blu-ray drive
8GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Wi-Fi (802.11n)
HDMI In/Out, Optical Out, Ethernet, 2 USB and IR Blaster

The XBox One isn't just a console, it also makes a big push for taking care of all your living room entertainment needs.  It features HDMI passthrough which means you can hook up your cable box and control it via your XBox, using voice commands and browsing your programming guide, changing channels, etc...

Another cool feature allows you to "snap" apps to the side of the screen, so you can run multiple applications at the same time, which is not an original feature by any means, but is still pretty cool.

What about the games, you ask?  Well, we didn't hear much about that today.  Understandably so, however, with E3 right around the corner.  We saw a demo of the next entry in the Forza franchise, and a game from the creators of Alan Wake entitled Quantum Break.

I'm a big fan of the XBox brand and am really excited for this, but am worried about one thing: the death of the rental market.  From reports surfacing by all the major news outlets for this sort of thing, your copies of games will be tied directly to your account.  I've seen a few people saying that this means you can't bring a game to a friend's house, which as far as I can tell isn't true.  Sign in on your friend's console and you should be good to go.  However, if a specific game disc is tied to a specific account, that means that you won't be able to rent a game for the console.

I know that although I enjoy video games, but don't play near as much as I used to.  So, grabbing a game for $2.00 out of a Redbox and spending a few hours with it is my main method of playing new releases.  It will definitely play into the decision to buy the console.

What do you all think?

• Cyber Warrior likes this

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 22 '13 @ 4:19 PM

Meh, not impressed. Plus it looks like a VCR.

SithDroid #3

SithDroid
  • I Love Android Gaming
  • 7 posts
  • Device: HTC DNA

Posted May 24 '13 @ 3:42 AM

Meh, not impressed. Plus it looks like a VCR.

I'm with you, the presentation of the console is a little weak, and I can't consider myself a hardcore console gamer anymore. All of its additional features and appsnapping are done easier, better and faster by my PC, handheld, laptop, etc. I just want to play games and maybe watch Netflix on it. I suppose I'll still need to buy Live, then buy Netflix, to even be able to use it as a lowlevel PC.

I'll probably skip the XOne simply because it doesn't fit into what I want with a video game console: a video game console. It does everything short of be a water cooler and for all the cool functions, they couldn't figure out how to get it to run Xbox 360 games. I know, I know, emulation is hard on hardware and the architecture of the systems have changed for the better this generation, but the Xbox 360 used a SOC much like this one did, and since the manufacturer reduced the process to 65nm, it's got to be dirt cheap by now. Just throw it in there, charge $40 more for the console and call people happy.

I'll probably pick up a PS4 just for whatever exclusives they come out with; Xbox might have the go-to for online play, but PS exclusives are nothing to laugh at.

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 24 '13 @ 6:03 AM

Gran Turismo.

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted May 24 '13 @ 1:18 PM

Getting a PS4 this time around.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:39 PM

I liked it so much I preordered a PS4. :P

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel