Photo

How to: Remove/Add Words To Your Phone/Tablets Dictionary

Started by Cory Streater ,
Android Dictionary Keyboard Samsung Dictionary HTC Dictionary Android Dictionary

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1522 posts
  • Device: Nexus 6

Posted May 22 '13 @ 12:09 PM

This is a common question I hear from Android users of all skill levels.

I set out to answer this question, for a variety of phones, thinking the process would be the same regardless of device. Typically, you would modify the dictionary via the phones Keyboard Settings screen or the Input & Language screen.

Simple & straightforward enough that I originally titled this thread "How to: Remove/Add Words To The Android Dictionary"

Unfortunately, modifying the built-in dictionary isn't always as straightforward as you might think. Particularly if you're a frustrated Samsung owner that landed on this page after spending wasting endless amounts of time trying to figure it out.

Manufactures layer their own features, options, and user interface atop Android, and there is no consistency across most devices. 

That said, the following list covers some of the more recent phones on the market, but the steps haven't really differed over time.

HTC Android Phones

Adding words and phrases to the word prediction dictionary:
  • Slide the Notifications panel open, and then tap Language & keyboard.
  • Tap  HTC Sense Input.
  • Tap  Personal dictionary .
  • Enter a word or phrase, and then enter its text shortcut. Be sure to remember this shortcut, including the uppercase and lowercase letters you've typed.
  • Tap OK.
Editing or deleting words and phrases in the word prediction dictionary:
  • Slide the Notifications panel open, and then tap Language & keyboard.
  • Tap HTC Sense Input.
  • Tap Personal dictionary.
  • To edit a word, phrase, or shortcut, tap the item in the list.
  • To delete items from the dictionary, tap Delete. Select the words you want to remove, and then tap Delete.
Note: The HTC One was used in this example. However, the procedure is fairly consistent across HTC phones.

Samsung Galaxy S4:

The most bizarre of the 3 is the Galaxy S4.  A phone that's been crammed full of features, and yet Samsung fails to include an option to modify something as basic as the dictionary.

If you open the Settings screen, tap the Device tab, and then select Language and Input, you will see an option (the gear icon) to edit Samsung's keyboard settings. However, a deep dive into the dizzying array of options comes up empty handed in terms of modifying the dictionary. Samsung's S4 user manual outlines a procedure for changing the "T9" and "XT9" keyboards (huh?), but the steps & buttons they tell you to push don't reveal themselves.

There are many 3rd party keyboard alternatives, but none enable direct manipulation of the built in dictionary. 

One popular alternative is SwiftKey. SwiftKey describes itself this way:

"SwiftKey for Android replaces your device’s on-screen keyboard to help you type in an easier, faster and less frustrating way.

The app is packed full of features to help you type, from the award-winning prediction engine that learns how you write to predict your next word, to SwiftKey Flow, which lets you write whole phrases without lifting a finger."

I would tend to agree with their product description, but I still prefer the stock Android keyboard with the ability to modify the keyboard's dictionary.

Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Xoom

• Open Settings via the app drawer (or from the notification panel)
  • Tap Personal
  • Tap Language & input
  • Tap Personal dictionary
  • Tap the Add icon.
The same screen offers options to remove words.

This is why I am all Nexus all the time.

Have a device other than the one's listed above? Chime in and let us know how to modify its dictionary!
  • Cyber Warrior and ChromeJob like this

Lee Bo #2

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted May 22 '13 @ 12:46 PM

Motorola on Jelly Bean

1. Open System Settings via the menu soft key
  2. Scroll down to Language & Input
  3. Tap Personal dictionary
  4. Tap the + icon