Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted May 24 '13 @ 11:13 AM

Cyber Warrior wrote up an informative article that solves a common question: How do I sync music from my Android phone/tablet to iTunes?. He also addresses how to crack the DRM nut, so you can rightfully enjoy your purchased music on any device you want to.

I myself had been using iSyncr a while back, but lately I've been streaming through Amazon and Google Play. I searched the Play store and found several other apps that look fairly popular. I'd like to test them all out and write up a review, but thought I'd check with the community for thoughts and opinions on those listed below, or alternatives that I hadn't considered.

Here's a list of apps I pulled from the Play Store, with a consolidated list of features. 

iSyncr for Windows and iSyncr for Mac (separate apps dependent on the OS you are syncing with)

1. Works with iTunes playlists and one or more libraries
  2. Choice of syncing over USB or WiFi
  3. Bi-directional synchronization between Android and iTunes: MP3 downloads, videos, podcasts, album art, ratings, play counts, skip counts, last played date, and last skipped date
  4. Your choice of syncing to internal memory or an external memory card (if your device supports one) 
  5. Sync based on schedule (e.g., sync at midnight daily)

iTunes to Android & SyncTunes Wireless. 

I list them both here, because they are developed by the same company, and offer the same features with the exception that iTunes to Android does not provide wireless support. IMHO, it's kind of lame they have 2 separate apps requiring 2 purchases.

1. Syncs podcasts, music tracks, playlists, album art, and tracks from itunes store.
  2. filters available for tracks to be synced (by size, length , date etc)
  3. Requires a desktop application to bridge the Android app to the Desktop version of iTunes.

doubleTwist Airsync

1. Wirelessly syncs music, photos and videos over WiFi.
  2. Supports syncing between a Mac or PC
  3. It appears that you need to use it in conjunction with the (free) doubleTwist desktop app to automatically import your iTunes music playlists, iTunes ratings & playcounts from your Mac or PC (MacOS X 10.5 or higher on your Mac, or WinXP SP2/Vista/Windows 7). 
  4. Automatic, wireless import of photos, videos, MP3 purchases & downloads from your phone back to your Mac or PC.
  5. Stream music, videos and photos to devices such as Xbox, PS3, Sonos, and Apple TV

• Cyber Warrior and lpt2569 like this

lpt2569 #2

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted May 24 '13 @ 11:56 AM

iSyncr has been my go-to method.  I love that it lets you pick between internal and external SD Card for storage.  And it's pretty quick with the sync too.  I've used iTunes from the first day it was released, and I have a rather large music collection on iTunes as a result.  I like having my songs on my device, as opposed to in the cloud, and Google Play Music takes like....ummm....f  o  r  e  v  e  r  to pin songs to my device.  If it was a quicker sync with Google Play Music, I would strictly use that.  I used to use doubletwist, but I had too many duplicate songs and/or playlists, and the developer(s) didn't seem to be keeping up with updates in a timely manner.  That was like a year ago, so, there's that.

Great write-up!  Thanks!

• Cory Streater likes this

Aric Wilisch #3

Aric Wilisch
  • 1 posts

Posted May 24 '13 @ 2:36 PM

Honestly if you need to sync with iTunes why not just buy music from iTunes? Its already DRM free and if you point the Google Music Manager at your iTunes music directory it will keep both devices in sync. The only real downside is not being able to buy from your phone.

I use Spotify so I never need music so bad it can't wait till I get home.

Just my 2 cents.

j_hookz #4

j_hookz
  • 22 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 24 '13 @ 9:07 PM

Honestly if you need to sync with iTunes why not just buy music from iTunes? Its already DRM free and if you point the Google Music Manager at your iTunes music directory it will keep both devices in sync. The only real downside is not being able to buy from your phone.

Just my 2 cents.

I find Google Music Manager does a poor job of syncing itunes music and playlists to google music in the cloud. I have a mac, with my music collection stored on a network drive (along with my itunes folder). After loading my music collection after several attempts, it finally succeeded by pointing it to the folder that houses it, but it failed completely with playlists. Only after re-installing the music manager and having it sync via "playlists" as opposed to a "folder" did it ever even upload the playlists, although not all songs show up in all the lists.

Also iTunes playlists that upload to Google Music won't update dynamically if you change them on iTunes. I find the playlist editor on Google Music to be pretty good, though.

dmmarck #5

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 25 '13 @ 4:48 PM

Just my 2 cents.

I find Google Music Manager does a poor job of syncing itunes music and playlists to google music in the cloud. I have a mac, with my music collection stored on a network drive (along with my itunes folder). After loading my music collection after several attempts, it finally succeeded by pointing it to the folder that houses it, but it failed completely with playlists. Only after re-installing the music manager and having it sync via "playlists" as opposed to a "folder" did it ever even upload the playlists, although not all songs show up in all the lists.

Also iTunes playlists that upload to Google Music won't update dynamically if you change them on iTunes. I find the playlist editor on Google Music to be pretty good, though.

Completely agree with playlists. I ended up deleting them all and redoing them manually. I also get, but hate, that lossless formats aren't accepted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

gigitanner123 #6

gigitanner123
  • 1 posts

Posted Apr 18 '16 @ 10:20 PM

Sync iTunes to Android would be very easy if you have choose the right method. 

VV1874 #7

VV1874
  • 1 posts

Posted May 23 '16 @ 12:08 AM

This guide may also help you sync iTunes with android devices.

annarichart #8

annarichart
  • 10 posts

Posted Dec 12 '16 @ 5:28 PM

Sync your content with iTunes

Follow these steps to manually sync the content from your computer to your iOS device:

1. Open iTunes. 
  2. Connect your device to your computer using the included USB cable. Your connected device appears as an icon in the upper-left corner of the iTunes window. 
  3. Click on the device icon osx-elcapitan-itunes12-4-device-iphone-i. Look under Settings on the left side of the iTunes window for a list of the content types that you can sync from your iTunes library to your device.
    If you don't have certain content in your iTunes library, you might not see some tabs. For example, if you don't have any podcasts in your library, you won't see a Podcast tab.
  4. Click the content type that you want to sync.
  5. In the main iTunes window, click the box next to Sync to turn on syncing for that content type. If there's a check in the box, syncing for that content type is already on.
    If you see a message that your iOS device is synced with another iTunes library after clicking the box, your iOS device was previously connected to another computer. If you click "Erase and Sync" in that message, all content of the selected type on your iOS device is replaced with content from your computer. Content that you didn't turn on syncing for isn't deleted from your iOS device. You can only sync your iOS device with one iTunes library at a time.
    If you use iCloud or other services to keep your content up to date, syncing through iTunes might be disabled.
  6. After you turn on syncing for a content type, you'll see additional options to customize your sync settings. Use these options to make sure that you’re syncing the content that you want synced.
  7. Repeat steps 4–6 for each content type that you want to sync.
  8. Click the Apply button in the lower-right corner of the screen to save your sync settings. If syncing doesn't start automatically, click the Sync button.