Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted May 26 '13 @ 10:46 PM

Desperate to find news on the Nexus 5 (there really isn't any), I scoured YouTube & found the video below from CTN. All speculation, but still a little fun to think about.

CTN: Release likely in Q4 this year.

Me: All I know is that's it's not happening this month, and it's unlikely to be next month. Everything after that is fair game.

CTN: Running Android Key Lime Pie

Me:  That's a plausible & likely prediction.

CTN: Hardware will compete and/or be similar to the LG Optimus G2, Galaxy S4, or the HTC One.

Me: LG and Google knocked it out of the park with the Nexus 4, and I see no reason they would switch to a new manufacturer. There's also speculation that Motorola is on the table. That said, is it just me, or is Google always slightly behind everyone else in terms of specs? The Nexus 4 is a solid device, with a decent screen, but it could still be better under the hood. 

CTN: 5" full HD display that could possibly be based on the fact that it's called the Nexus 5.

Me: I highly doubt that. The idea that there's a relationship between the naming convention and screen size is sketchy. If that theory held true, would we see a 6" screen on the Nexus 6? I think not. If it is 5", I will have to decline it. 4.7" is already ridiculous enough that it gets me weird stares from people. At least I think that's why. Maybe it's just me in general :)

CTN: IPS screen at 441 pixels per inch.

Me: That's about right. I'll be drooling all over it.

CTN: Memory increase from 8GB to 16GB

Me: That would be totally unacceptable. They need to offer a 32GB model or add an external SD slot, which is not likely because Google has said they will not architect their OS to support SD cards anymore. Don't get me started on their reasoning behind that decision. 

CTN: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800/600, Nvidia Tegra 4, or Cortex A15.

Me: I would prefer the Tegra 4 due to its support for LTE. However, since Verizon refuses to be cool, it probably wouldn't matter in my current situation. By then, I'll be done with Verizon anyway.

CTN: A not so great 13MP camera.

Me: I really hope Google reverses their trend of pumping out crappy cameras. They've developed an awesome camera app, and it's time they stepped up to the plate, and put out an awesome camera to match. Not doing so damages the Nexus's reputation IMHO. I've argued at nauseam with some of the more techie Android fanatics out there, and most insist the Nexus is purely a developer phone, and is not targeted toward consumers, and therefore it's not necessary to include features like a great camera. I totally disagree with this. The Nexus became a consumer oriented device when they released ICS, followed by JB. I prefer the UI on the Nexus 10 time more than Sense or Touchwiz, and Google is clearly not directly targeting the ROM hackers over at XDA in these marketing videos (sorry to share so many, but I love them all). If someone could identify the song in video number 3, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm having a brain freeze at the moment  Edit: I came up with the brilliant idea of Google searching it. The song is by The Temper Trap, and is called "Sweet Disposition" 

On a separate note: Google needs to fix their effing supply issues!

Anyway, here's the Nexus 5 speculation video by CTN:

The rendering at 2:00 is totally hot!

So what does everyone here think?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 27 '13 @ 9:00 AM

I think you're right on par with most of everything. The rumored Nexus build by Motorola is interesting now that we have the HTC One & GS4 running a "Nexus experience". There's no doubt in my mind that Motorola will release a pure Google device, whether that be a Nexus or just their version of stock Android.. the X phone- I dont know. But to have LG come out with a new Nexus 5 and Motorola come out with the X phone seems kind of redundant now that HTC & Samsung have released their versions of stock Android. Why wouldn't Motorola just follow in the same footsteps and release two versions of their new X phone as well? ...one skinned and one pure. Something doesn't add up right so all these X phone rumors are starting to make me believe that this will be the next Nexus... unless something else is going on which very likely could be.. the fact that there's a HTC One and GS4 running stock Android is mind blowing.

Also to add- recently a new spotted X phone just ran through the FCC which is believed to be headed for Verizon.. so now we're currently at Verizon, AT&T and Sprint all to get an X phone.

All speculation of course :P

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 27 '13 @ 4:26 PM

LG should definitely make the N5, they did a great job with the N4.

A camera upgrade is a must. Also, maybe not make the back of glass but that design on the back was cool. The N5 would be a good way to showcase KLP, as what phone other than the vanilla Android experience line itself would be better for that?

The screen is definitely big enough as it is, so they can focus on quality to match the S4 and One.

That's all I got for now.

7stringer #4

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted May 28 '13 @ 5:46 AM

Well, it looks like LG won't be making the N5...so, Motorola?

I have the Rickets! 

lpt2569 #5

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted May 28 '13 @ 7:06 AM

Well, it looks like LG won't be making the N5...so, Motorola?

I'd love to see Motorola do the N5.  It would be pretty cool if Googlorola doesn't release any new devices all year and then BAM!  They drop a super sweet Nexus 5 to rock the smartphone world!

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted May 28 '13 @ 7:10 AM

A camera upgrade is a must.

I agree. I've been waiting for years for manufacturers to do this, and I feel they have the technology to do. That said, I've seen you post pictures with your EVO that look awesome. Maybe I'm not using the settings properly, or still have a lot to learn.

Also, maybe not make the back of glass but that design on the back was cool.

You're probably right, but for me personally, I think it's the thing I like most about it. It adds a really solid feel to the phone. I emphasize feel, because I realize that it doesn't translate into reality. On the other hand, most people use cases, right?

The N5 would be a good way to showcase KLP, as what phone other than the vanilla Android experience line itself would be better for that?

Totally. It seems to me that stock Android should be serious competition to Sense and Touchwiz. It bugs me when people who bought the One or the S4 say they've just bought an Android phone, and don't even know the difference between it and a stock Android phone. To me it's like taking a fine Bourbon, like Booker's or a Rare Breed, and diluting the experience by turning it into a Manhattan or Old Fashioned. Is the phone running Android at it's core? Yes. But most bugs and other negative user experiences have nothing to do with Android. For example the lag on the S4 has nothing to do with Android, yet I hear people think that it does.
  • dmmarck likes this

Eric Kane #7

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 28 '13 @ 10:07 AM

I'm curious to see how they handle it. Allowing both Samsung and HTC to put Nexus-like devices out under their flagships sets the bar much higher than in years past. So I'm guessing they handle it one of two ways:

-They release something with very high-end specs and put a fairly large price tag on it. By high-end, I mean equal to or better than the S4 or One. If you're going to release a Nexus at this point, you have to offer a compelling reason as to why you should buy it. Blowing away the One or S4 in terms of specs would be a good enough reason.

-They release something similar to what the Nexus 4 was last year to the S3/One X/Note 2. High-end, but not world-beating. Again, you'd need a compelling reason on why you'd buy it; price point would be that reason. By not breaking the bank on the hardware, they may elect to offer it at a much cheaper price like they did last year.

If you're Google, I think the pressure is on to upgrade Android to be even better. For someone who bleeds Nexus, I found it to be terribly dull compared to Sense 5 when I switched back and forth between the two over the weekend. Last year, I immediately returned my S3 the second Jelly Bean was announced and grabbed an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. This year, I can't say I'll do the same unless they really offer something worth the change.

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 28 '13 @ 11:11 AM

One draw they'll definitely be releasing is the Nexus 5 with an updated OS.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted May 29 '13 @ 4:13 PM

LG never said they weren't gonna make it, they said they weren't currently making it but they were considering it.

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 1:13 PM

I want the next Nexus phone to be LTE.  They just did it with their tablet so I hope the phone is Next.

Ahowe125 #11

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 3 '13 @ 5:25 AM

I want the next Nexus phone to be LTE.  They just did it with their tablet so I hope the phone is Next.

I have to agree. 2 things about the Nexus phones...

First, I'm a Verizon user, and I have never had the chance to use a Nexus device. Sure the Galaxy Nexus was an option, but I went the route of a Used Razr Maxx instead to keep unlimited. I had no idea how good Nexus devices were until I got my 2013 Nexus 7. I know my choice to be on Verizon is going to make it near impossible to get the next Nexus, but I can still hope. 

Second, had I not been a Verizon user, the only thing that would have kept me away from the Nexus 4 is the lack of LTE. I love having that speed available and its strange to me anyway that the Nexus 4 did not have it. So I would assume they would make sure the next one has at least some support for LTE. Will it be available to Verizon? I doubt it. But with the Nexus 7 having one device for all the LTE bands in the US, there is still hope. But I think CDMA will still be the death of me.

I hate that Verizon has amazing coverage and very fast speeds. In my area, LTE coverage is very good. ATT just opened up their LTE not that long ago, and Spring just fired up there LTE in the last few months. So I have options, but its going to be difficult to get 5 lines all off contract at the same time. 

But enough about Verizon, I am excited to see what the next Nexus phone brings to the table, and I'll have to make a decision when that time comes. Until now I'll keep using my Razr Maxx which is mostly 4.1.2 AOSP now anyway, and my Nexus 7 on 4.3. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |