xphone x phone motorola

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted May 29 '13 @ 5:29 PM

At today's D11 conference, the head of Motorola, Dennis Woodside confirmed that a phone called the Moto X exists, is coming in October, and will be Motorola's "lead device" among other handsets to be released in the coming months.

Woodside sung high praise for his engineers, stating that the device will be "contextually aware," it will know when it's in your pocket, when you're riding in a car, or when you want to take a picture, and execute specific behavior based on these sensors. He also teased new battery management techniques using processors that are "more aware."

dennis_woodside.jpg

"We have a hero device. It’s going to be called Moto X. It’s going to be broadly distributed."

We don't know much yet, so let's hear your thoughts. Are you excited about this? I know I'm looking forward to what they have to offer.

• Cory Streater likes this

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted May 29 '13 @ 6:24 PM

I love that photo of him lol. All I know, is they have a lot to accomplish with this phone. It better be damn good.
  • Christopher Coleman likes this

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted May 29 '13 @ 9:44 PM

This is exactly what I've been waiting for all year.. to see what Moto will do next. Samsung is on their continued path of Galaxy devices which don't appear to be changing anytime soon especially with the success of the GS3. HTC has made a decent comeback with the One.. Now its time to see what Moto has up its sleeve. I feel like it will be something Amazing but I just hope they dont let us down on the specs.. I want to see the ultimate supreme killer device :P

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

• ohgeegeo likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Christopher Coleman #4

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted May 29 '13 @ 9:56 PM

I want to see Motorola continue their design language of the RAZR line and add a stellar camera. Other than that, I'm easy. :-)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Eric Kane #5

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 30 '13 @ 5:26 AM

Samsung had a meeting yesterday with most of their higher level executives to discuss "Design 3.0", a way to distinguish their products from every other product on the market. Ironically, using plastic nowadays does exactly that, but I think the beating they took from the reviewers kind of got them to start thinking about changing it up a little.

Now if we're talking about solid designs, Motorola is a good place to start. I want to be excited for this phone, but I also want to keep my expectations extremely low. This is a phone they've been working on for awhile, a phone that has been speculated and discussed ad nauseum over the past several months. I'm going to curb my expectations for the X only because I've seen what they can do to a phone (see: Galaxy S4). The only thing I do expect from this phone is their continued innovation on battery technology. Whatever the X ends up being, it should have battery life that blows the doors off of other devices.

• Cory Streater and zero neck like this

creccaj #6

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted May 30 '13 @ 7:01 AM

The Moto X needs to be a home run in my opinion.  Motorola has made some good but not great phones.  The RAZR series are good phones but in my opinion its time to ditch the carbon fiber gimmicks and just make a gorgeous looking phone.  Battery life and signal reception has always been a strong point for them and as long as they continue that trend they can't do much wrong on that front.  

There are 2 places that I see the need for biggest improvements... phone design and camera.

The design doesn't need to radically change, but they need to make it more pleasing to look at then what they have come out with lately.  Yes, they are slabs of metal/plastic like most phones now a days but round some of the edges and maybe just make sure they don't make it have bezels all over the place.  The RAZR M is a good starting point if you ask me, if they expand from there they could be in a good shape.

Camera... Oh how I hated you on all my Motorola Android phones.  Lets be honest... they were pitiful.  Improve it or people will look elsewhere.  I use to be in the camp where the camera didn't sway my decision as long as the phone worked, but now I am using my camera more frequently and its become more of a crucial feature for everyone.  The only people that aren't concerned (or not nearly as concerned) are those who own DSLR cameras.  Period.

Oh yea, don't use a dual core like reports are saying.  Use a quad core and don't skimp on RAM.   

• Cory Streater, bigdaddytee, mclarryjr and 1 other like this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

j_hookz #7

j_hookz
  • 22 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted May 30 '13 @ 7:25 AM

I like the square shape of the Razr. It's different than everyone else.
  • zero neck likes this

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 7:34 AM

The RAZR shape doesn't bother me as much as the humps that they use.. they've slowly slimmed down since the Droid X days thankfully. The kevlar backing I kind of like as well.. less fingerprints and scratches. According to those FCC filings and leaked images I'd say we're going to see something that closer resembles the RAZR M as creccaj mentioned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• zero neck likes this

tacsig513.png

creccaj #9

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 7:43 AM

I can see that it has its perks, like you mentioned Cyber but I guess I would take the carbon fiber backing over the GS4 plastic.  I did have a RAZR MAXX and I will say that I never had an issue with the back of the device getting slippery or worrying about putting it down on a surface and scratching it.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Cyber Warrior #10

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 7:47 AM

Yea I prefer it over the glossiness of the plastic that Samsung uses as well. I think I was the only person who liked the textured back and design of the Galaxy Nexus.. that phone felt good in the hand.

• bigdaddytee likes this

tacsig513.png

creccaj #11

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 7:49 AM

Yea I prefer it over the glossiness of the plastic that Samsung uses as well. I think I was the only person who liked the textured back and design of the Galaxy Nexus.. that phone felt good in the hand.

No you weren't.  I loved it.  

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 30 '13 @ 8:53 AM

No you weren't. I loved it.

Samesies

Sent from my HTC One

• bigdaddytee and N3xs like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

mclarryjr #13

mclarryjr
  • 22 posts
  • Device: DNA - Nexus 7

Posted May 30 '13 @ 11:30 AM

It's easy just fix the camera and for god sake they need to change the physical design. The camera doesn't need to be anything new just on par with HTC and Sammy.  And the design has to change, I have always hated the bump in the back and the kevlar backing.  IMO I can't think of any Moto phone that was pleasant to look at starting with the OG Droid.

If they can keep their amazing radio and have a Maxx size battery without making the phone to big I'll definitely be giving the X a look.

Christopher Coleman #14

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 12:09 PM

There are no "humps" in moto phones akin to their early designs. I hope they leave their design language alone. It's unique and actually feels like something that won't just fall apart in my hands. It's a sexy industrial look and build and I love it.

Helloneumann #15

Helloneumann
  • 1 posts
  • Device: Razr Maxx HD

Posted May 30 '13 @ 12:32 PM

For me the design of the Razr Maxx HD is fine. I like the Kevlar, what I want, like most, is a better camera, quad core, and a boost in battery life would be nice. Also increased memory. I like the fact that they keep the Razr Moto skin minimal, I hope that continues.
  • Cory Streater and bigdaddytee like this

dmmarck #16

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted May 30 '13 @ 12:44 PM

There are no "humps" in moto phones akin to their early designs. I hope they leave their design language alone. It's unique and actually feels like something that won't just fall apart in my hands. It's a sexy industrial look and build and I love it.

Sounds like you want a One...:P

For me the design of the Razr Maxx HD is fine. I like the Kevlar, what I want, like most, is a better camera, quad core, and a boost in battery life would be nice. Also increased memory. I like the fact that they keep the Razr Moto skin minimal, I hope that continues.

I don't mind the design at all.  I haven't had much experience with the HD series, but I thought that the screens on the older RAZRs weren't anything awesome.  So that being said, I hope the X comes out and really wows us in that department.

• mclarryjr likes this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

bigdaddytee #17

bigdaddytee
  • 17 posts
  • Device: Gnex and/or Sero 7 Pro

Posted May 30 '13 @ 2:10 PM

I also think they need a home run. I don't think they need to hit a grand slam in the bottom of the twelveth, game seven of the world series. "Aware" phone? Sounds Samsung gimmicky to me. How about more of what I really need? And who will have access to all this data?
I'm skeptical.

nitroX #18

nitroX
  • 33 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 3:43 PM

Hoping Moto pulls through with this one and doesn't disappoint.

ohgeegeo #19

ohgeegeo
  • 3 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 8:02 PM

Coming right on time for my Thanksgiving contract renewal.  Perfect timing as I can let it hit the market and get the bugs worked out before buying.

Cyber Warrior #20

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted May 30 '13 @ 9:11 PM

Id say we can pretty much confirm that this phone will have amazing battery life.. There's no way they're taking a step back in the capacity of what their batteries hold now plus they've already announced a newer battery management system. We can also most likely expect the phone to be water proof/resistant.

The phone has all of this built in sensor technology so I think we can squash all the "this is the next Nexus" rumors since that's not how stock Android runs. Plus Motorola Design Chief Jim Wicks already said last month that the phone will run the "unadulterated version" of Android.. which could also mean faster software updates, which will be nice.

So we know the phone features all kinds of sensor technology.. It knows when you're driving, it knows when you want to take a picture or if its in your pocket or not. Well HTC already has the pocket feature of increasing or decreasing the ring volume and there are a dozen apps in the PlayStore that already can put phones into car-mode... So seeing how Moto is going to bring all of this to the table will be interesting.

To add to the speculation:
Supposedly the phone has sensors on the back which interact with how you're holding the device.

tacsig513.png

N3xs #21

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted May 31 '13 @ 11:52 AM

I am really looking forward to this Moto X especially because I have to wait until December for my Verizon contract to DIE!! :P 

I actually really like the industrial design of Motorola phones, I would just prefer for the Kevlar to be a little darker to look almost black if that's even  possible..

Besides that, if the battery is as good as on the Maxx (or just better than most current smartphones), and the "unadulterated version" means stock android, then I really hope they put a good camera on it because that's really all they need to improve on....actually they could have better screens too, and I hope the Moto X does when it comes out...

I'm not too excited about the "contextual awareness", it does sound gimmicky as some of you have pointed out and I am more interested in a phone that just works well!! I mean it could even have a dual core processor on it (I'd be more than happy if it works as good as my N10 that has a dual core), and a 720p display for all I care as long as it's snappy, does not lag, and looks good (without a magnifier).

However, on the other hand, the contextual awareness could be a very good thing if it happens to work well with the new Google Now functions such as location based reminders and such... I wouldn't mind telling my phone to remind me to do something when I get home but only when I take the phone out of my pocket :P ... and I would certainly not mind at all if it comes with a lot of "cool" and sort of unnecessary features just as long as you can disable them or as long as they don't kill my battery and make the phone laggy (yes I'm looking at you S4)...

In the end I just want a solid and fast performing stock android phone that's not too big with a nice display, a good camera, and great battery life... is that too much to ask for? :P

Jerrod #22

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted May 31 '13 @ 1:37 PM

I am mixed up but I think I will be OK.  On the one hand I like stock Android since I have a Verizon Gnex and also a Nexus 7.  On the other I like the idea of this contextual recognition something like Google Now which I am a big fan off.  Samsungs split screen sounds good, but so much on their UI looks like a mess and there is lag which is a result of their programming in the UI, so not a fan off having too much overhead going on in addition to the OS.

My last phone was a MOTO and it was a solid device.  Still have it, and it sometimes falls off of the shelf onto the floor but always survives. I don't want another 100% plastic phone.  I don't care if it has round corners(I'll take it if thats it)  because I prefer the squared off look something like that Italian designer phone made of steel  that sells for thousands of dollars, at least in its advertisement.  

Moto has very good radios and GPS which is something I need living in a down town area.

Never ever liked Moto Blur and I never liked their version of Pentile screens because I could see the pixels as soon as I looked at it so these are out for me.

That said I really want to see what they are going to deliver.

I would be happy if:  The interface is as close to Google Stock as possible, It has good radios and works with Verizon and AT&T( I have a household member that is on AT&T and we have excellent coverage with them where I live so there are possibilities to switch even though I have unlimited data)

I would be happy if they delivered a phone that would work Verizon and Sprint versions of  CDMA, Verizon LTE, AT&T LTE, Europe LTE and GSM all in the same phone,configurable in the settings menu.  Probably too much to ask for but at some point everything is going to be LTE even voice over LTE.

I would be happy if it is using that Qualcom S800 or whatever that thing is that is their newest  and fastest chip.

I want an excellent GPU - Wait is that built into the S800?

I would prefer quick updates, but I don't have this with Verizon and most likely never will unless Google can update the phone without involving the carriers every time.

Sorry for rambling, but like I said I am mixed up.  Anxiously  awaiting to see what Moto/Google is going to offer.

Cory Streater #23

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jun 2 '13 @ 11:32 PM

I would be happy if they delivered a phone that would work Verizon and Sprint versions of CDMA, Verizon LTE, AT&T LTE, Europe LTE and GSM all in the same phone,configurable in the settings menu. Probably too much to ask for but at some point everything is going to be LTE even voice over LTE

That would be awesome. If they can come up with vitamin authentication, surely they can figure this one out.

zero neck #24

zero neck
  • The Ever-Living
  • 63 posts
  • Device: One.

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 3:09 PM

razr design was aight. kevlar wasnt a very good idea imo. i like the reduced bezel direction they went with the M or whatever that mid-range device was a few months back.  

anyway, it looks like it'll be between this and the One when i have some extra cash to spend.

Cory Streater #25

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jun 4 '13 @ 8:10 AM

Or you'll join me and get the Nexus 5 haha

In all honesty, I don't think people even begin to know how the Moto X could revolutionize the smartphone world. While device specs are extremely important, I think they are going to leverage contextual awareness technology in ways we've never dreamed of. I think they are going to take Google Now and pump it full of steroids. They were acquired by Google, Google wanted to own their IP, and a major portion of their IP was in the area of contextually aware sensors. On top of that, they have Regina Dugan running the Moto X show.

"Regina E. Dugan is an American inventor and businesswoman. She served as the 19th Director of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. She was appointed to that position on July 20, 2009 and was the first female DARPA director."

This is a woman that was popping electronic pills and wearing electronic tattoos that turned her into Wonder Woman at All Things D.
  • 7stringer likes this