Photo

How's it going to know when I want to take a picture?

Started by Cory Streater ,
moto x moto x camera

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 2 '13 @ 7:08 PM

At the All Things D conference, Walt Mossberg spoke with Motorola Mobility CEO Dennis Woodside, about the contextually aware features of the upcoming Moto X.

I've been trying to figure out how the whole camera thing is going to work. Aside from reading our minds, what kind of voodoo will the Moto X perform to fire up the camera?

Seems to me it would be easier to bring back the days of the physical camera button.

Dennis: "It knows it's in my pocket. It knows when I take it out of my pocket. I might want to do something... I might want to take a picture so it knows to fire up the camera. It's going to anticipate my needs."

Walt: "It's going to fire up the camera every time you take it out of your pocket?!"

Dennis: "When I can show the device I'll explain what it's going to do, and of course not, it's going to do it when you want to fire up the camera"

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 2 '13 @ 8:39 PM

If I had to guess, I bet it prepares the camera for use when it detects when it's removed from the pocket and immediately turned to landscape mode.

Or, maybe they will stick a proximity sensor on a physical camera button so when you take your phone out of your pocket and place your finger on the button it fires it up.

It could also use the FFC to figure out when you're looking at it at eye level, which is probably where you would hold your camera when snapping a picture.

I really don't know; just making guesses here.
  • 7stringer likes this

Jerrod #3

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 6:41 AM

Maybe a combination of device height and orientation but I guess if you are looking down then that wouldn't work

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 6:57 AM

Pure speculation and rumor of course..  but I heard it has a sensor on the back,,, and also that the phone will respond in different ways based on how it's being held.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 1:32 PM

I don't find this working as well as advertised. Interesting claims though.