S4 Google Edition

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 2 '13 @ 10:44 PM

The all-Android Galaxy S4 was announced on May 15th, at Google’s I/O's conference. The specs of the S4 will equal that of the carrier variants, including the same 5-inch 1080p display and quad-core processor. However, the Google edition will run on a stock Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2, sans the Samsung TouchWiz interface & the 15 pounds of extra carrier bloatware.

It will also come with 16GB of internal storage, LTE support, an unlocked bootloader, and automatically receive system updates directly from Google -- which is a huge plus.

This carrier unlocked GS4 version will be available starting June 26 and will work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. It can be purchased directly from the Google Play Store for a whopping $649.

The two videos below do a great job of demonstrating the personality types of each variant.

SAMSUNGmobile promo video for the S4:

Google Nexus promo video demonstrating Stock Android:

The Google Nexus promo is more my style. I spent 2 weeks with the S4, and the one thing I loved about it was its screen. The rest was a bust, mostly because I'm so used to stock Android. I must say, this would be a tempting option if it weren't for the fact that a Nexus 5 running Key Lime Pie is likely a go in the coming months.

Lee Bo #2

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 12:51 PM

This carrier unlocked GS4 version will be available starting June 26 and will work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. It can be purchased directly from the Google Play Store for a whopping $649.

I'm sure this is within the realm of "standard" full price for a phone, but....

OUCH!

• Cory Streater likes this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 1:29 PM

Not interested in stock since I have the tablet-king Nexus 10. It's strange though that they're starting to put out "Google Editions" now though.

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 3 '13 @ 10:59 PM

If it weren't for the carrier's, I'd bet there would be a ton more of them.

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 4 '13 @ 2:54 PM

Maybe.