• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 5 '13 @ 11:41 PM

googleml.png

With the recent update to Google's desktop client that brought us a newly refreshed interface.. now comes along the mobile and tablet version. For anyone living under a rock the past few days, Google has been and will continue to roll out its new Gmail update (4.5) to all devices running Android 4.0 (ICS) and up over the next few weeks.

The new update brings along features such as 4 new tabs that intelligently sort your email into Social, Promotion, Updates, and Forums. If you've ever played with an iPhone you'll notice some similiarities like the Contacts default avatar is no longer a greyed out person but instead a colored square with the first letter of the contacts name. You'll also notice from iOS the Refresh is now controlled by a pull gesture instead of tapping motion. And with Google implementing more and more gesture controls, there's also a new sliding menu that features all of the tabs that Google has added along with your different accounts and labels. Last but not least the action bar has been moved from the bottom to the top and you can also now empty the Trash and Spam folder with just one click.

Take a look for yourself.. and if you've yet to receive the notification of the new update you can side load it by downloading the .apk and pushing it to your device.

Meet Gmail's New Inbox

Gmail 4.5 apk DownloadAttached File  com.google.android.gmail(4.5).apk.zip   2.33MB   97 downloads

Also from the Play Store.. be on the lookout for the newly introduced Google Keyboard

Attached Images

• google.png

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

7stringer #2

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 7:47 AM

I've heard complaints that there is no way to multi-select emails now to delete in mass. I haven't tried, nor did I use that function before. anyone notice this and have a solution, or did they really eliminate that functionality?

I have the Rickets! 

lpt2569 #3

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 8:15 AM

I've heard complaints that there is no way to multi-select emails now to delete in mass. I haven't tried, nor did I use that function before. anyone notice this and have a solution, or did they really eliminate that functionality?

Not 100% sure this is what you are talking about. You can select multiple emails and use the menu button at the top to delete selected emails. Is that what you meant?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Images

• uploadfromtaptalk1370535176969.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370535193057.jpg

• 7stringer likes this

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 8:46 AM

The Desktop version has the ticker box to select all emails for deletion... I really wish they would bring this feature to the mobile platform, maybe by long pressing from one email to another to select everything in between. Blackberry has had this feature forever now by using the Alt key on the keyboard.

selectall.jpg

How is everyone liking the new update? Its still new to me so it'll probably take some getting used to but the mobile version I'm finding is very distracting with the colored first initials and the Tabs make it feel like my emails are scattered all over the place... I rather just keep using labels. Also I prefer the action bar to be on the bottom.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #5

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 11:44 AM

So far I like it.  When I converted my desktop version I moved emails around into different tabs so that they would be identified.  Now on the mobile version these same types of emails are being delivered into the tabs I indicated on the desktop.

I like that I can turn on/off notifications by tab.  This way I don't have constant beeping and bonging everything a promotion(sale, web store offers or whatever) is delivered, and I get a lot of these so this type of mail can be delivered without bothering me.  While reading email I am able to view my primary mail and not be bothered with that other stuff until I manually go to the tab......so...so far I like it.

I also have it set to display contacts images which is a nice touch, minus the image you get the colored initial which adds a touch of color to the screen.

The one thing I wish I could do on mobile is turn off conversation mode like the desktop

So So far I like it.

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 2:41 PM

I like it too.

lpt2569 #7

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 3:13 PM

I'm digging it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2