S4 Update Brings Apps to SD Card Functionality

Started by Eric Kane ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Eric Kane #1

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 5:34 AM

The S4 9505, or the International Snapdragon 600 variant, got a firmware update today (ranging from 380-400 MB) that brings a few stability improvements, some camera fixes, frees up 80 MB of internal storage, and allows the user to move applications to the SD card. Not entirely sure how that's going to play out, but it's interesting that they're making that change. If they're aware of users being frustrated by the storage issue, undoubtedly they've heard the "lag" complaints, as well.

I'd guess we don't see this update in the US for a little while, but probably sooner than later because it's addressing some storage issues.

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 1:05 PM

One less thing for people to complain about.

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 11:23 PM

If I recall correctly, over half of the phones memory is used up out of the box? 

I just returned my review unit a few days ago. The phone started to grow on me a little bit, but the lag was a big disappointment. I hope they get that fixed for you guys.

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 7 '13 @ 5:56 AM

If I recall correctly, over half of the phones memory is used up out of the box?

I just returned my review unit a few days ago. The phone started to grow on me a little bit, but the lag was a big disappointment. I hope they get that fixed for you guys.

Thank God.

Sent from my HTC One

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 7 '13 @ 7:13 AM

In all the years that applications to SD has been out, I have yet to use it. I wouldn't think the average person would either, since it's not so obvious how to do it. Do you guys use it?

Eric Kane #6

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted Jun 7 '13 @ 7:51 AM

I won't, but I'm also not a gamer. I use my SD card (32 GB) for my pictures and video/music. The AT&T S4 leaves you with 9.72 GB out of 16 GB. This update, if it does eventually roll out to AT&T, frees up an additional 0.8 GB. Like you said, the thing I'm most concerned about is the lag. I've had multiple S4s at this point and none have been -that- bad, but you can tell the difference in some spots if you compare it to Sense 5 and the One. When it comes down to it, I always take the device that gives me the opportunity to change/fix the things I don't like about it. With the S4, it's all little software/aesthetics stuff that I can change myself or will be fixed by Samsung themselves at some point.