HTC One "mini"

Started by 7stringer ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

7stringer #1

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 7:00 AM

I think it looks pretty solid, and a nice follow-up to the One S that provided a more fiscally responsible option to the One X. 

http://www.engadget....one-mini-leaks/

I have the Rickets! 

Eric Kane #2

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 7:48 AM

I really don't know why HTC thinks that making this move is the smart option. These phones are not cheap to produce. You run the risk of supply/demand issues with the One, but it's worth it because it's your flagship phone and you have zero choice at this point. Their efforts need to be centered around making the One as popular as they can and increasing awareness of their brand, not throwing more money at different versions of a phone that's already confused with the One S/X/X+ of last year. Samsung just recently started throwing multiple iterations of its Galaxy S line out there (they did the mini last year), but that's because they waited until there was a global awareness of that line that no one is going to touch. If this ends up being released, as well as the supposed phablet One, then HTC is simply following a company that's in a drastically different position than them right now.

Dont get me wrong; this is good for us as the customers because I'm sure there are some people who would buy an HTC One Mini, but all they're doing is taking away resources from the flagship they so desperately need to be a winner. If HTC is just going to follow everything Samsung does and tries to compete on every level/phone type, they're going to lose. Badly.

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 11:11 PM

I think the phone is an awesome choice for those out there who are not into 5" smartphones. There's a lot of people out there that just don't want to make that big of a leap upwards & personally I think 4.3" is the sweet spot right now. That said, I could never go back to that size again lol.

Eric, from a business standpoint, I am in total agreement with you. In my opinion, HTC continues to spread itself to thin and lacks focus. I think Samsung is making that same mistake, but what do I know. Clearly the filthy rich heads of both companies are clearly more business savvy than I am.

Eric Kane #4

Eric Kane
  • 44 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S4

Posted Jun 7 '13 @ 7:44 AM

I think the phone is an awesome choice for those out there who are not into 5" smartphones. There's a lot of people out there that just don't want to make that big of a leap upwards & personally I think 4.3" is the sweet spot right now. That said, I could never go back to that size again lol.

Eric, from a business standpoint, I am in total agreement with you. In my opinion, HTC continues to spread itself to thin and lacks focus. I think Samsung is making that same mistake, but what do I know. Clearly the filthy rich heads of both companies are clearly more business savvy than I am.

The only difference with Samsung is that they've cultivated this strategy over the course of the past 3 years. The S2 got them into the conversation, the S3 was when they arrived, and the S4 is where they took control. Samsung may take it a bit too far with an Active/Mini/Zoom lineup, but their ability to mass market these devices, coupled with the success of the S brand, makes it at least feasible.

HTC is on the S2 timeline. Stretching yourself thin when your flagship phone is still getting demolished by other devices is not the smartest thing in the world. They keep pushing and pushing and eventually these decisions are going to catch up with them.

• Cory Streater likes this

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 9 '13 @ 4:30 PM

HTC should support just the One as much as possible to get as much revenue as possible so then they can have some backing to maybe do what Samsung is doing now later on.

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:17 PM

HTC should support just the One as much as possible to get as much revenue as possible so then they can have some backing to maybe do what Samsung is doing now later on.

Agreed. I hope the Mini has a ridiculous price point.

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #7

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 7:26 AM

If the Mini can sport a price in the $99-$149 upgrade range it could be a huge seller for all those who couldn't be bothered by the other high end expensive devices.

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Malik Suleman #8

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 2:04 PM

I really don't know why HTC thinks that making this move is the smart option. These phones are not cheap to produce. You run the risk of supply/demand issues with the One, but it's worth it because it's your flagship phone and you have zero choice at this point. Their efforts need to be centered around making the One as popular as they can and increasing awareness of their brand, not throwing more money at different versions of a phone that's already confused with the One S/X/X+ of last year. Samsung just recently started throwing multiple iterations of its Galaxy S line out there (they did the mini last year), but that's because they waited until there was a global awareness of that line that no one is going to touch. If this ends up being released, as well as the supposed phablet One, then HTC is simply following a company that's in a drastically different position than them right now.

Dont get me wrong; this is good for us as the customers because I'm sure there are some people who would buy an HTC One Mini, but all they're doing is taking away resources from the flagship they so desperately need to be a winner. If HTC is just going to follow everything Samsung does and tries to compete on every level/phone type, they're going to lose. Badly.

yeah its totally like that