Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 2:58 PM

That is the conclusion BGR's Executive Editor, Zach Epstein, came too when he considered the up and coming smartphone offerings from Google/Motorola and Apple:

"The X’s feature set indeed sounds intriguing, but the timing of the phone’s launch couldn’t be worse..... a late Q3 or early Q4 launch pits the Moto X directly against Apple's next-generation iPhone 5S. As many vendors have learned in the past, this is never a good idea.

What’s more, Samsung will likely release a new version of its flagship phablet, the Galaxy Note III, right around the same time as well. Samsung has stolen the Android limelight and launching

a new Motorola phone in Samsung’s shadow makes the odds of success even slimmer."

Curiosity peaked, I read another BGR article titled "Not just another pretty face: Apple’s iPhone 5S to see big internal overhaul."

In this article, Epstein predicted that the iPhone 5S will undergo a major overhaul of its user interface by replacing textured design elements with flatter design elements.

Based on leaked photos, he went on to say that the iPhone 5S will likely include the following hardware upgrades:

• A faster processor
  • Better camera
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • A new loud and earpiece speaker bracket
  • Vibrating motor assembly
  • A new WiFi flex cable ribbon
  • Sim trays available in 2 colors

I don't know about you, but there's nothing orgasmic in there for me.

In contrast, Dennis Woodside, CEO of Motorola Mobility announced the following at the All Things D conference this past May:

"The phone (Moto X Phone) is packed with new features that can anticipate users' needs such as "when to fire up the camera... For example, sensors in the phone will let it know when it's being pulled out of someone's pocket... The phone will also adjust its settings if it's traveling at high speeds in a car.... The device will know, whether it's on or off, if it's traveling at 60 miles per hour it's going to act differently so you can interact with it safely... The Moto X is more contextually aware of what's going on around it. It allows you to interact with it in very different ways than you can with other devices." 

Woodside also announced that the Moto X Phone will be assembled at a 500,000-square-foot plant near Fort Worth, Texas, and will employ approximately 2,000 people. The majority of smartphones today are manufactured in Asia.

Consumers can also expect a complete overhaul (no more Motoblur) when the Moto X is released. Post acquisition, the Google powers at be took a look at Motorola's pipeline and ordered them to flush it down the toilet.

It's not beyond the realm of imagination that Motorola will offer a Google Experience (stock Android UI) on steroids. Imagine an Android phone that integrates contextual awareness into each and every Google App, such as Google Now & Maps. There are also big opportunities at play for 3rd party developers. 

That said, I nor anyone can predict the outcome of the two phones based on the information we currently have, and it's too soon to be making doomsday predictions about the future of two very different smartphones. 

Zach Epstein's full article is here.

• 7stringer likes this

lpt2569 #2

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 3:13 PM

Meh. Apple needs to do way more than what this dude is predicting to peak my interest. Google/Android is two and three steps ahead now in what it offers in services.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• Cory Streater likes this

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 6 '13 @ 4:29 PM

Clearly this guy is a secret Apple fanboy if he thinks that's all it's gonna take to for the 5S to beat anything that Android is coming up with,

• Cory Streater and lpt2569 like this

Johnny5 #4

Johnny5
  • 89 posts

Posted Jun 10 '13 @ 5:24 AM

Want to see that x phone. Just the fact it is assembled here in the states beats the pants off anything else.

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jun 11 '13 @ 10:39 PM

I agree, Johnly. I didn't read to closely into today's Apple announcement, but it sounds like they are doing the same thing? Maybe this will be the next big marketing trend.

• Johnny5 likes this

Johnny5 #6

Johnny5
  • 89 posts

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 7:01 AM

I think it will be. With appliances, GE left overseas to manufacture their stuff. Whirlpool never left.....so I buy whirlpool. GE is bringing that manufacturing back home and bragging American made. I really hope so.

John S. #7

John S.
  • 1 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 6:46 PM

Zachary is basically an apple fan boy. He will praise anything and everything apple produces. Those of us who have used Android and apple side by side know that apple's days of dominance are long over. Plus if you add in the fact that the iPhone is an unusable piece of garbage. I don't think the X has anything to worry about. Oh, I forgot that the x will cost about 300 with no contract while the icrap will be around 700 and the icrap will role out last year's top android functions.

Cory Streater #8

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 9:39 PM

Zachary is basically an apple fan boy. He will praise anything and everything apple produces. 

Go to www.webuka.com and type in any domain name. What you find is the driving force behind what you read. The shift is toward Android, and as it does, so will the slant in the articles.

That said, I don't think I'd be able to objectively do his job without playing favoritism toward Android over Apple. It would be a really difficult thing for me to do.

creccaj #9

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 7:27 AM

The same thing is going to happen as when the iPhone 5 came out.  Apple stock and popularity got hyped up before their conference and then when they announced the iPhone 5 everyone realized that it was just a larger 4S.  Unless Apple is keeping something very close to their chests that hasn't been leaked yet I don't see much that will WOW everyone at the conference.  The only thing that I can see would WOW people is the fingerprint scanner but I will guarantee that after 2-3 days people will get fed up with it and it won't work half the time.

Sad part is, people will line up out the door and buy it and say that its is the greatest smartphone EVARZZ!!!!!!!!111one.   

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 2:28 PM

The same thing is going to happen as when the iPhone 5 came out.  Apple stock and popularity got hyped up before their conference and then when they announced the iPhone 5 everyone realized that it was just a larger 4S.  Unless Apple is keeping something very close to their chests that hasn't been leaked yet I don't see much that will WOW everyone at the conference.  The only thing that I can see would WOW people is the fingerprint scanner but I will guarantee that after 2-3 days people will get fed up with it and it won't work half the time.

Sad part is, people will line up out the door and buy it and say that its is the greatest smartphone EVARZZ!!!!!!!!111one.   

Such is the life of an iSheep.

Also, I agree about the fingerprint scanner. I mean, it was nothing special when Windows laptops started getting them but to have it on a phone? Who would find that useful? Plus, there's no way Apple can keep a secret, this is the same company who hires people that leave prototypes of their latest device at public bars and not just once either.

Lee Bo #11

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 5:51 PM

I'm really not sure how to handle this.........Cory used the words "orgasmic" in the same post as "Apple".

• creccaj and Chris Kerrigan like this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

C Sab #12

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 5:43 AM

I'm really not sure how to handle this.........Cory used the words "orgasmic" in the same post as "Apple".

That's one of the main signs of an iSheep. :o
  • dmmarck likes this

Chris Kerrigan #13

Chris Kerrigan
  • Inconspicuously Inconspicuous
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:27 AM

Anyone who knows BGR knows that the entire staff is pretty much a herd of iSheep. 

I think we have a better chance of Steve Jobs rising from the dead to announce the iPhone 5S than Cory turning into one of those clowns. 

Updated by Chris Kerrigan, Aug 20 '13 @ 6:28 AM.

• dmmarck likes this

Motorola Droid > Motorola Droid X > Samsung Fascinate > Samsung Galaxy S III > Motorola Droid RAZR HD MAXX

dmmarck #14

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 8:34 AM

Anyone who knows BGR knows that the entire staff is pretty much a herd of iSheep. 

I think we have a better chance of Steve Jobs rising from the dead to announce the iPhone 5S than Cory turning into one of those clowns. 

Well, voodoo has more basis in medicine than his mango-tea cure for cancer, so never say never!

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #15

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 10:13 AM

Never even heard of BGR. I avoid tech sites cause 90% of them are at least a little biased in favor of Apple.

Updated by C Sab, Aug 20 '13 @ 10:15 AM.

Jerrod #16

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 11:14 AM

Yes Cory used the word orgasmic but he was referring to a weak one.

Honestly if folks want to get the iphone let them.  I have a household member with one.  I see it and sometimes use it.  I see it at the gym...they all look and act the same way, boring. I am bored to death with it and don't want to have something that looks and acts just like something everyone else has. I guess I am a bit of a contrarian.

So let the iphone come out with IOS7 doing stuff Android and Windows already does.  Let it come with a finger print scanner,let it come in gold, and let it come a bit cheaper.  Let the users have an O over it..I just won't tell them it was a weak one.  

For me, I will wait for the next Android system and have a good strong O..then pick myself up off of the ground, move to the next part of the new system and be totally immobilized again.

C Sab #17

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 12:03 PM

I do love when those people get mad when I poke fun at their Fisher-Price Phone.

wyndslash #18

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:06 PM

I agree I don't think there's going to be anything special with the upcoming iPhone. I suppose they are going to make a big deal of iOS7 (which looks like holo, quite frankly). Apple is great at marketing; they can sell heat to the devil himself.

That said, I do see the appeal of a simple smartphone. I just don't see the appeal in paying through the nose for it when you can get a better phone at the same (or cheaper) price.

C Sab #19

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:09 PM

iOS7 literally makes the iPhone look like a child's toy. it has a "fresher-price, preschool" theme to it.

wyndslash #20

wyndslash
  • 225 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:13 PM

iOS7 literally makes the iPhone look like a child's toy. it has a "fresher-price, preschool" theme to it.

i saw :P and with the small size and all :P

but Apple wants to appeal to the mass market at premium prices...though I guess that's why they are going to release a cheaper version of it.

C Sab #21

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:17 PM

but Apple wants to appeal to the mass market at premium prices...though I guess that's why they are going to release a cheaper version of it.

Yeah, a cheaper version is probably 50 bucks less. This is a company that sells the Macbook Air with a 12" screen, and an i5 processor at 200 bucks more than a Windows laptop with an equally processor and a 17" screen.

wyndslash #22

wyndslash
  • 225 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:18 PM

Yeah, a cheaper version is probably 50 bucks less. This is a company that sells the Macbook Air with a 12" screen, and an i5 processor at 200 bucks more than a Windows laptop with an equally processor and a 17" screen.

I suppose I shouldn't tell you then that I *almost* considered getting a macbook air?  :o

Updated by wyndslash, Aug 20 '13 @ 6:19 PM.

C Sab #23

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:21 PM

I suppose I shouldn't tell you then that I *almost* considered getting a macbook air?  :o

Well aside from the price it wouldn't be a bad thing. Those fuckers are super thin and light so it's good for taking around with you.

wyndslash #24

wyndslash
  • 225 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:27 PM

yeah, it's just really expensive. I might end up getting a Chromebook.

C Sab #25

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:42 PM

Again, it's an Apple product. Of course it's overpriced.

No idea how good the Chromebooks are though.

wyndslash #26

wyndslash
  • 225 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:43 PM

The Chromebook Pixel is gorgeous (but it's $1300, i think)

C Sab #27

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:44 PM

Geez, that's expensive. How gorgeous are we talking here though?

wyndslash #28

wyndslash
  • 225 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:46 PM

Orgasmic.

C Sab #29

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:48 PM

Damn. What makes it so epic? :P

wyndslash #30

wyndslash
  • 225 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:53 PM

the display, man.

to stay on topic, though, i really do like the X's 'always on' concept.