Video Streaming PS3 Guide

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 9 '13 @ 3:09 PM

First thing's first, we'll need to grab some software.  This guide is for Windows users; however for Mac and Linux based systems the process should be similar.

JAVA / Chances are you either already have it or have made a conscious decision not to install it, but for this tutorial it's a necessary evil. If you're not sure if you have it or not, just click here.  If you do, great.  If not, here's where you go to install it.

PS3 MEDIA SERVER / This is the software that does the heavy lifting.  It will catalog your media and send the info to your devices, along with working some magic (see: transcoding) to make sure your device can play the file no matter what format it is in.  Download it here.

You'll also need to install two applications on the device that you wish to play your media on.

MediaHouse UPnP / DLNA Browser / This is what you'll use to browse through your media on your Android device. Get it from the Play Store here.

MX Player / This is what I use to play video files with.  It's fast and plays everything I throw at it.  It can even decode DTS audio with the installation of a custom codec.  If you have another preference as far as video players go, feel free to use that instead. The Play Store link is here.

So, the installation of these apps should be pretty straight forward.  During the Java installation, it will ask you if you want to install a toolbar of some sort; make sure to uncheck that box.

Now, here's a slightly tricky few steps but it's necessary to make sure PS3 Media Server can find all your Android goodies to send your files to.

Hit your Start button, and open up Control Panel.  Click on View Network Status and Tasks (or if you don't have that option available, Network and Sharing Center.)  On the right hand side, next to Connections, it will list the name of your network and the way you connect (so in my case, Wireless Network Connection (N3TG34R).  Click on that, then the 'Details' button.  Take note of what it lists next to 'Description' and 'IPv4 Address'.

Leave that window open, and fire up PS3 Media Server. Under the 'General Configuration' tab, in the 'Network Settings (advanced)' section, choose the network adapter that you took note of earlier (Description) and in the 'Force IP of the server' box, type in the number you took note of in your network settings (IPv4 Address).

Press the big 'Save' button at the top.  Now, head to the 'Navigation/Share Settings' tab and click on the plus sign/folder icon towards the bottom.  All you need to do here is point PS3 Media Server to the folder you want to share with your Android devices and press 'Open'.  Press the giant Save button again.  Then, press the 'Quit' button.  This will close PS3 Media Server.  Just open it back up again.  Go ahead and close your Network Settings window(s) if you haven't yet already.

Now, fire up MediaHouse on your Android device.  It should list your computer at the top of the screen (or the left hand side in landscape mode), and the name of your Android device at the bottom.  Tap the listing for your PC at the top.  Now, just hit Browse, find what you want to play and simply tap on the entry to play it!  It may ask you what you want to use to play the file; in my case I'll hit 'MX Player', but if you use a different software then feel free to try it out.  You can always make another selection later on (just make sure not to tell it to always use the software you pick until you're sure it works.)

That should be about it.  Let us know how it works or feel free to ask any questions below.  Thanks for reading!

• Cory Streater likes this

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 9 '13 @ 4:36 PM

Nice. Might try this.

wonner #3

wonner
  • 30 posts
  • Device: i337

Posted Jun 9 '13 @ 10:12 PM

Nice. Might try this.

If you're using a S4, all you need is a network connected PC and the stock S4 music player.

Posted Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 9 '13 @ 10:52 PM

I didn't get a chance to try that when I had the S4. Video please! J/K :P

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 10 '13 @ 12:10 PM

Is that only for music? Another issue would be that if the Samsung feature streams using Windows Media which it appears to from the icons, it won't have as good of a support system for various file types and codecs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wonner #6

wonner
  • 30 posts
  • Device: i337

Posted Jun 10 '13 @ 3:16 PM

The video app also has a Nearby Devices tab that connects to my PC. And I'm not sure about file types and codecs, but everything appears to be working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Updated by wonner, Jun 10 '13 @ 3:17 PM.