Photo

Your Favorite Browser

Started by Cory Streater ,
Web Browser Vote

Poll: Your Favorite Browser (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose your favorite browser

1. Firefox (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Chrome (7 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. Opera (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. HTC Sense (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Stock Android (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

6. Dolphin (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

7. Other (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Please Login To Vote:

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 11 '13 @ 10:08 PM

I've been a long time Chrome/Dolphin user, and decided it was time to take a look at some of the other players.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Firefox includes a feature that enables you to download a PDF copy of a page. It doesn't always grab all the graphics, but it does a great job overall. For example, I was able to export an entire thread & view it offline. Not even any weird formatting.

Dolphin is as buggy as every, and I don't see using it again for the time being.

Chrome does that weird auto-scaling thing that I personally don't like due to it's inconsistencies. I personally had to do a CSS hack to get it to work properly on this site.

I haven't taken a close look at Opera yet, so no opinions there.

There are a bunch of others, but they all seem to be carbon copies of one another.

So, what are you guys using?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 4:33 AM

I went from originally being a stock user to then switching to Dolphin based on all of the positive recommendations and then finally switching to Chrome. I mainly use Chrome now and occasionally will fire up Dolphin but I'm getting kind of tired/sick of it and want something new... I think I'll try out Firefox to replace Dolphin but Chrome will always be my go to browser for now mainly because I love the 'sync tab between all device' feature.

Oh and I havent used Opera since my Blackberry days and I refuse to try it because it reminds me of those days lol. Opera was the go to browser back in the day to make up for BB's slow ass stock browser.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 5:51 AM

I do the same thing with Opera and Window's Mobile.

I forgot to add, Dolphin has forever had this issue where the back button just refreshes the page. It doesn't always do it, but it's often enough to be totally annoying. I know some pages just do that, but I also know that Dolphin is doing it on most that don't.

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 12 '13 @ 3:55 PM

I never had bugs with Dolphin but it's my second browser after Firefox.

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jun 15 '13 @ 7:37 AM

So you have never experienced Dolphin just refreshing the page whenever you hit the back button? I realize that some pages do that anyway, but it happens constantly in Dolphin.

Also, do you use both Dolphin and Firefox? I usually toggle between two browsers because some offer features that others do not. For example, I use Chrome most of the time, but I also use Firefox sometimes because Firefox has a nifty save to PDF feature.

At other times, I'll use Dolphin because I can set the user agent to desktop, and it will give me the full WYSIWYG in the forums.

When doing web development, I tend to use Opera. Where other browsers will overlook mistakes, Opera does not, so I can quickly identify problem areas. That's not a common use scenario, but the point is that I have to switch browsers frequently, which kind of sucks.

That said, options is the beauty of Android.

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jun 16 '13 @ 6:07 AM

Nope, never had that happen with Dolphin. And I only use it if I can't load a page properly with Firefox.

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:09 PM

Nope, never had that happen with Dolphin. And I only use it if I can't load a page properly with Firefox.

How big of a pain is it to transfer from Chrome to FF?

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

7stringer #8

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 1:05 PM

What I find weird is that both Chrome and HTC Sense Browser came preinstalled on the HTC One. Why not just adopt one and ditch the other? 

I have the Rickets! 

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 1:19 PM

What I find weird is that both Chrome and HTC Sense Browser came preinstalled on the HTC One. Why not just adopt one and ditch the other?

Chrome was put on by Google and is part of stock Android. Manufacturers like HTC then take the software and add their own touches.. like changing the skin, adding features, etc... and in this case, adding their own browser.

Then you have carriers like Verizon who feel the need to add to it even more with their preinstalled apps.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 1:31 PM

I've been using Chrome since I have it on my PC as well.  I am also signed up for the Chrome Beta.  It's faster on my N7 than it is on my Gnex.  Don't have too many issues with it except one thing.  This one thing is also the same issue I have on my PC.  That is sometimes I have to load the page twice.  I mean I pick the page it starts to load, the wheel starts turning slow and it sits and sits and sits.  If I hit refresh the page will load instantly.  I am not sure it is the browser since I have this same issue on my PC so it might be my internet connection but not sure.

I still think it could be a bit faster than it is, but again might be my internet connection.  I know I'll try when using 4G perhaps that will tell me.

So I don't know that it is my favorite but its the one I've been consistently using.

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 1:52 PM

I've been using Chrome since I have it on my PC as well. I am also signed up for the Chrome Beta. It's faster on my N7 than it is on my Gnex. Don't have too many issues with it except one thing. This one thing is also the same issue I have on my PC. That is sometimes I have to load the page twice. I mean I pick the page it starts to load, the wheel starts turning slow and it sits and sits and sits. If I hit refresh the page will load instantly. I am not sure it is the browser since I have this same issue on my PC so it might be my internet connection but not sure.

I still think it could be a bit faster than it is, but again might be my internet connection. I know I'll try when using 4G perhaps that will tell me.

So I don't know that it is my favorite but its the one I've been consistently using.

Recently it's been sluggish on my grouper. May need to have it exorcised.

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #12

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 2:35 PM

How big of a pain is it to transfer from Chrome to FF?

Sent from my HTC One

I've never used Chrome.

Ricky Babalu #13

Ricky Babalu
  • Beach Bum
  • 87 posts
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted Jun 20 '13 @ 10:24 AM

Just stumbled upon Naked Browser, trying out this no frills browser.

076fd490-c574-4ef8-a8ee-6a51c4fa5261_zps

Treknologist #14

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Jul 22 '13 @ 10:34 AM

I've switched browsers on my Android devices several times.  My browser of choice on the desktop is Firefox.  I do also use Chrome but I've sort of made it my de facto Google services browser.  On my Android devices I've used stock (whether it was the stock HTC or the stock Asus browser, depending on device), Dolphin, and Firefox.  For a while, Dolphin was the broswer I used the most but then Mozilla made some really significant improvements to their mobile version of Firefox and got hooked.  Synchronizing my bookmarks with my desktop version of Firefox is a piece of cake and I just like how it knows what type of device I'm using for how it operates.  The extensions for it also also quite helpful. 

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Ahowe125 #15

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 10:53 AM

On my Droid X it was stock, then when I switched to my Razr it was stock until ICS then Chrome came installed. I gave it a try since I use Chrome on my desktop PC as well, and it has been Chrome since. I like the sync thing between them so if I need a bookmark from my PC I can just switch to that section. I use to use Firefox on my PC before Chrome got big, but have never tried it on my phone. Chrome just works and is normally pretty fast. Lately its been slowing down loading pages and overall use. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Ahowe125 #16

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 5:30 AM

After reading this thread and taking a look back at the stock browser on my Razr, I have decided something is wrong with Chrome on my phone. The official and beta versions are slow as heck. The stock browser loads pages faster and does not have lag when first opening it up. I have tried clearing data and uninstalling and re-installing, but they are still dead slow. I guess I had been using them for so long with no comparison I had no idea they were "slow".

On my N7 though its a different story, both official and beta are fast and have no lag, but that device is a heck of a lot faster then my Razr. This has shown me how slow the Razr really is. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Reply to this topic