Photo

Pirated Apps, Music, Video & Games

Started by Cory Streater ,

Poll: Digital Theft (5 member(s) have cast votes)

For the purpose of this poll — piracy is defined as the unauthorized reproduction or use of copyrighted movies, music, desktop applications, and Android apps. Check all that apply to your usage:

1. Movies (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Music (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Desktop Applications (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Android Applications (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. None of the above (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Please Login To Vote:

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 15 '13 @ 10:34 AM

This is an anonymous poll, and we're not here to judge nor preach.

I hear people say "I have 40,000 songs/albums," and then talk about the various free apps and services they use to access their media across all of their devices. At .99 or more a pop, I'm suspicious that they purchased the majority of that music. That's $40,000. The same goes for movies and game ROMs — which are even more expensive.

Then there are those who would never think of stealing a .99 Android app, because they would be ripping off a developer.

There are desktop and mobile apps that people love and consider essential to their workflow. However, they don't feel it's priced appropriately, so they steal it. There are widely available torrents for both Adobe and Microsoft apps that are common examples of piracy.

In my case, I guess that explains why my media library only contains about 100 songs, 10 albums, and a few videos. I guess it also explains (one of the reasons) why I've never had a virus.

Would it be unfair to equate digital media theft to brick and mortar theft? Some examples:

• You don't like the price of gasoline, so you drive off once you've pumped it.
  • You really want an Audi S8, but it's too expensive for your budget, so you take it on a test drive and never return it. Besides, where does Audi get off pricing it at $120k?
  • My wall would look great with the infamous Card Players painting, by Paul Cezanne, but it's $270 million dollars. I want it, so am I justified in lowering the price to zero, and stealing it from an art gallery?
  • To be fair, the above examples might be perceived as comparing apples to oranges — so perhaps a more appropriate example is in order:

Is it right to walk into a brick and mortar and help yourself to whatever media you want?

When you answer that question, keep in mind that there was a day when all forms of music, desktop apps, movies, and other forms of entertainment were distributed through physical media, and nobody complained about it.

the-expense-of-happiness.jpg

It could boil down to one thing. People do it because they can.

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 16 '13 @ 6:06 AM

I pirate pretty much everything. Fuck it.

wonner #3

wonner
  • 30 posts
  • Device: i337

Posted Jun 16 '13 @ 11:51 AM

I come from an age of cassette tapes and VHS. Physical media that could be damaged and rendered useless fairly easily. I know at least 5-10 different music artists that I've bought the same album 5 different times. Theft, losing it, eaten by the tapeplayer...shit happens. Do I feel bad about now "pirating" these albums? Not even a little bit. Maybe it's some sense of entitlement, but I feel owed. I still buy some albums, but it's after I've listened to it and deemed it worthy and its mostly just to support the artist.
I guess when it comes down to it...yes, I only do it because I can. But think about those cassette and VHS days...no one seemed to care when you dubbed your own copy of a friend's tape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:09 AM

I pirate pretty much everything. Fuck it.

Well then, you couldn't have made it any clearer than that lol.

I come from an age of cassette tapes and VHS. Physical media that could be damaged and rendered useless fairly easily. I know at least 5-10 different music artists that I've bought the same album 5 different times. Theft, losing it, eaten by the tapeplayer...shit happens. Do I feel bad about now "pirating" these albums? Not even a little bit. Maybe it's some sense of entitlement, but I feel owed. I still buy some albums, but it's after I've listened to it and deemed it worthy and its mostly just to support the artist. I guess when it comes down to it...yes, I only do it because I can. But think about those cassette and VHS days...no one seemed to care when you dubbed your own copy of a friend's tape.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I hate to admit I can think back that far, but I can. I did make copies of stuff, for the same reasons as you. Records scratched, tape broke, etc., so if nothing else, I copied stuff I'd bought just to keep a backup so to speak. Actually, I still do it, and it was really frustrating a few years back when iTunes music was pretty much uncrackable, even for your own use.

In terms of software, I had accidentally ordered a 32-bit instead of 64-bit version of Windows 7 System Builders Edition. I noticed the second I pulled it out of the UPS box, but Newegg refused to exchange it. I give up pretty easily, so maybe I didn't fight it enough.

Snagit, a $50 software app for capturing screenshots, released a new major release of their software 3 months after I bought it. They wanted $40 to upgrade.

I guess those are 2 examples, where I felt entitled enough to seek out other options.

If Google took away multi device usage, I can't say what I'd do in that case. I think their current model is working well, and I'd be surprised if there was a lot of Warez usage out there. Finding a nulled/trustworthy .99 app is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Reply to this topic