Photo

Jay-Z partnering with Samsung to offer new album for free to SIII, S4, and Note II owners

Started by Christopher Coleman ,
music apps free

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 16 '13 @ 6:49 PM

Magna Carta Holy Grail was unveiled as the title of Jay-Z's latest studio album along with the announcement that owners of Samsung's Galaxy SIII, S4, and Galaxy Note II will be able to download the album for free 72 hours before its release on July 7th.

There will be an application released to the Play store on June 24th. Users will need to download the free application, and on July 4th at 12:01 EST, the album will be available through the application for download.  The offer is limited to the first 1,000,000 users on each device.

A placeholder website for the album, http://www.magnacartaholygrail.com/ contains a couple other snippets of information about the album.  It is described by the official site as "revolutionary" and that users will be provided with an "unprecedented inside look into the album" and something about "personal stories and inspiration."

Off the top of my head, this is something that hasn't been done before.  I know that artists have released apps to correspond with albums in the past, but this partnering with device manufacturers and pre-release albums outside of official channels like Google Play, iTunes (more on that in a minute), or Amazon is new to me.

Speaking of iTunes, does anyone else find it interesting that this isn't available on an iPhone?  Pretty cool to see an Android-based device get a spotlight from such a big celebrity.

• lpt2569 likes this

dmmarck #2

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:04 PM

Another reason to not own a GS4.

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

lpt2569 #3

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jun 20 '13 @ 6:49 AM

Another reason to not own a GS4.

Sent from my HTC One

I know, right?  I hate the fact that Samsung is forcing everyone with the GS4 to download the app from the Play Store, and then forcing them to get the Jay-Z album.  They totally suck worse than HTC, who would never partner with a Rap Icon to promote their phones... ;)

• Christopher Coleman and dmmarck like this

lpt2569 #4

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Jul 4 '13 @ 4:53 AM

Posted Image

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jul 4 '13 @ 9:39 AM

Any good?

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 2

lpt2569 #6

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Jul 4 '13 @ 9:59 AM

Any good?

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 2

Only listened to a few songs but I like what I've heard so far.

lpt2569 #7

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Jul 5 '13 @ 6:57 AM

After a few listens I'm not really digging it. Kinda boring and I have not found one song that can match songs like Empire State of Mind or Show Me What You Got. Die hard fans I'm sure will like it but I'm not a die hard fan. The app sucks but I don't think that matters as long as folks just want the music then mission accomplished, and in a pretty cool way in my opinion. Edit: for the record the song with Beyonce and the song with Justin Timberlake will both be big hits. You heard it here first. :P

Updated by lpt2569, Jul 5 '13 @ 3:50 PM.

dmmarck #8

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 9 '13 @ 7:37 AM

The answer to that late-capitalist riddle arrives with the rap icon’s insidious new album, “Magna Carta . . . Holy Grail” — which first appeared last week as a data collection exercise disguised as a smartphone app capable of delivering a bundle of mediocre rap songs to your mobile device.

Love that quote.

http://www.washingto...d342_story.html

Here’s how it worked: Samsung purchased a million copies of “Magna Carta” in advance, then, via the app, made the album available to subscribers five days before its widespread release. In exchange, users were asked toshare access to their social media accounts, their phone calls, their GPS location and more. If the medium is the message, we finally had an answer to that fan-or-customer question.

• lpt2569 likes this

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #9

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Jul 9 '13 @ 10:59 AM

The answer to that late-capitalist riddle arrives with the rap icon’s insidious new album, “Magna Carta . . . Holy Grail” — which first appeared last week as a data collection exercise disguised as a smartphone app capable of delivering a bundle of mediocre rap songs to your mobile device.

Love that quote.

I agree...mediocre at best.

http://www.washingto...d342_story.html

Here’s how it worked: Samsung purchased a million copies of “Magna Carta” in advance, then, via the app, made the album available to subscribers five days before its widespread release. In exchange, users were asked toshare access to their social media accounts, their phone calls, their GPS location and more. If the medium is the message, we finally had an answer to that fan-or-customer question.

I never had to share access to any of my social network accounts.  It asked me to do so, but it was not a requirement to get the download.  The rest of the stuff I guess that was part of the app download...no big deal in my opinion.  But I would never want to give Samsung or Jay-Z access to my Facebook or Twitter account.  Phone calls and GPS location, sure...  :P 

Updated by lpt2569, Jul 9 '13 @ 11:03 AM.

dmmarck #10

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 9 '13 @ 5:55 PM

Hov is like the fucking eye of Sauron yo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #11

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 9 '13 @ 8:04 PM

After a few listens I'm not really digging it. Kinda boring and I have not found one song that can match songs like Empire State of Mind or Show Me What You Got. Die hard fans I'm sure will like it but I'm not a die hard fan. The app sucks but I don't think that matters as long as folks just want the music then mission accomplished, and in a pretty cool way in my opinion.

Edit: for the record the song with Beyonce and the song with Justin Timberlake will both be big hits. You heard it here first. :P

Same first impressions.. I dont listen to rap as much as I used to.. at least the newer stuff that is, Im still stuck on the 90's stuff and 'some' new school stuff. I also listen to all genres of music except for maybe country music.. anyways out of the 3 albums Ive listened to in the past few months, Black Sabbath, Kanye West and now Jay Z.. Jay Z is the only album I felt myself bored and wanting to fast forward to a new track, after.. I had no desire to replay any certain song as to where Kanye and especially Black Sabbath I could easily listen to the whole album from beginning to end over and over.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :