Photo

Moto X phone - Mid entry level specs or optimized for Key Lime Pie?

Started by Cyber Warrior ,
moto x key lime pie Android 5.0

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 7:46 PM

With Motorola now in the hands of Google, we expect to see something great come out of the duos first pure Android smartphone labeled the Moto X phone. We recently had some leaked specs for the Moto X released with what some may consider mid range compared to other devices such as the HTC One, Galaxy S4 or Nexus 4. 

Today's best devices have dual and quad core processors in order to power the high end features such as 1080p HD displays and 1080p HD video capture. These require a significant amount of processing power and at times dont even hold up to their standards. Take for example the Galaxy S4 with it's 1.9Ghz quad core, 2GB of RAM and 1080p screen resolution... a powerful device yet the phone still lags. And its not just the Galaxy S4 to be fair, we've all seen at one point or another our so called power house devices come to a crawl at times.. including the Nexus line. 

So enters Motorola's X phone- rumored to be packing a 720p screen, 2GB of RAM and a 1.7 dual core processor. But wait! Where's my 1080p screen? My 3GB of RAM? It doesn't have quad core? At the moment.. No. The hardware can only go so high before it becomes inefficient without having the proper software to go with it. That powerful quad core phone can only do so much if it doesn't have the resources right by its side. Every year there will be bigger and better processor chips, higher resolution screens with better pixel density and so forth.. which sounds great and looks great on paper but until we have the technology in Androids OS to take advantage of these things, they're useless and become a burden to the Android platform. The software needs to catch up to the hardware to even things out.

Enter Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie- Last year Google brought us Project Butter, an optimization effort that was baked into Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The goal was to make the phones and tablets run smoother based on software alone. This year Google will take things much further, however, with Key Lime Pie so that Android devices won't necessarily require quad-core processors and 2GB of RAM. This will allow hardware makers to create smartphones that have an even lower cost than they do today, which will help further Android's push into emerging markets, one of Google's goals with the Moto X phone... A feature rich device at an affordable price.

So before you go counting Motorola down and out, stay open-minded and lets see what the future brings us. I for one am looking forward to it.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #2

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:07 PM

If they do that they've already missed the bloody point.

Sent from my HTC One

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

wonner #3

wonner
  • 30 posts
  • Device: i337

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 8:43 PM

It's going to be a mid level device. And FYI, my S4 doesn't lag. :angry:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 9:11 PM

I've heard unicorns are prevalent in the Appalachias.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

tacsig513.png

wonner #5

wonner
  • 30 posts
  • Device: i337

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 10:20 PM

Are you questioning my honesty?

Cyber Warrior #6

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 10:32 PM

You're one of the lucky few then.. it's a well known problem that will hopefully be addressed in a future update. I believe you, not every device will perform the same.. its the luck of the draw but the majority of them have it.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #7

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 17 '13 @ 11:24 PM

I had the AT&T version of the S4 for a few weeks. I perceived it as being laggy, and I didn't even have a SIM card in it.

The S4 has a 1.9GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU and a 600 Qualcomm Adreno 320 GPU.

The HTC One comes with the same combo with the exception of the processor being clocked at 1.7GHz. I didn't use the One long enough to compare performance between the two devices.

I think some of the lag on the S4 is a result of having to push all those pixels around. I have yet to own a phone with a 4.1"+ screen that didn't lag somewhat. I think most of its lag is software related — perhaps all those sensory features that it comes with. After all, in order for all of those sensory features to work properly, don't they have to be in an always-on state? 

What does any of this have to do with the Moto X? If the leaked specs are true, we will have a phone that, at a minimum has the brains & sensory intelligence of an S4 plus whatever else Moto has up their sleeves. They are going to be working that CPU hard, and they are going to need a lot of battery juice to do it.

Adding a 1080p screen on top of that would likely push that phone over its limit. That said, it would really be nice to know what the GPU selection is going to be.

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 12:02 AM

One thing you never have to worry about with Moto is battery life.. Two things I love about Moto, their radios and there battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #9

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 12:46 AM

Kind of wonder about the GPU also.  A bit off topic but related:  I have a Dell XPS PC must be 3 years old now, but one of the things I did when I bought it was configure it with a display card having 4G of it;s own RAM.  The card has it's own CPU I guess GPU and it's own fan to keep it cool.  The end result is blazingly fast screen video( and a hot office since there is a lot of heat leaving the unit) which to an end user translates into a fast computer. I can't begin to describe what an improvement I saw in screen display times  and visual crispness.  The card is doing the work the CPU would have to do.

So if we get a good GPU in the moto phone it should be able to handle the display functions and let the rest of the phone chip to it's thing.

One of the reasons I wanted to go stock android was because of all the posts I read about other launchers.  There was motoblur which many people hated.  I looked at it, there were neat visual effects and "stuff" but I couldn't' help but wonder how much impact this had on the actual function of the OS.

Current Touchwiz - many report lag - some do not - enough have it  that I heard that Samsung is coming out with a fix.  As much as I like the idea of split screen, of the camera following my eyes everywhere they go, and all of that I don't want to be in a situation where this causes my phone to be less responsive than it could be while I am unable to do anything about it.

I think Moto would be better off offering a base version of this phone, then letting users logon to a MOTO site or Google Play and download  and pay for additional features they want to use. I am willing to have a good stock operating system and pay for additional functionalities as long as I can also remove them.

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 1:08 AM

I think optimizing the next version of android is the right direction to take.  Some of the benefits may not be readily apparent but if Google can get the system to function with less resource requirements think of the possibilities.  Those nice apps in Google Play that require Android 4 and above......could be be run on android 2.2 or 2.3?

Could the launcher be run on Android 2.2?  Could the system run in 512 or 640K.....would a watch run this....how about glass?  how about some type of wrist band?    

Lets think AWAY from the box.

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 4:30 AM

Nope. Statistically, they couldn't all be laggy, right? You have a good one. Apparently, those are few and far between.

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 9:03 AM

Also, this:

http://www.phonedog....nge-day-25-lag/

tacsig513.png

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jun 18 '13 @ 2:28 PM

Well you have to remember, alot of those "reports" of their S4 lagging could be people exaggerating or a lie to make the S4 look worse than it is.

Updated by xlDeMoNiClx, Jun 18 '13 @ 2:28 PM.

N3xs #14

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 1:47 PM

I was very skeptical about the proclaimed lag on the S4 so I had to see for myself ...

I went to my local Best Buy to see what's up .... headed to the all new Samsung experience part of the store, which is pretty cool I must say...

I played with the galaxy camera, the Note, the S3 and finally the S4...

all I can say is that the unit I played with was laggy as hell!!! I could not believe my eyes... all other devices were extremely smooth, especially the beasty Note II ... 

I can only vouch for that one unit of course, but that's the one they chose for people to play with so it makes me wonder ....

Cory Streater #15

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 5:19 PM

I was very skeptical about the proclaimed lag on the S4 so I had to see for myself ...

I went to my local Best Buy to see what's up .... headed to the all new Samsung experience part of the store, which is pretty cool I must say...

I played with the galaxy camera, the Note, the S3 and finally the S4...

all I can say is that the unit I played with was laggy as hell!!! I could not believe my eyes... all other devices were extremely smooth, especially the beasty Note II ... 

I can only vouch for that one unit of course, but that's the one they chose for people to play with so it makes me wonder ....

Next time you do that, can you open up all the browsers in the store and set the home page to theandroidchannel.com? :)