ASUS Google Nexus Nexus 7 Lag Slow

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 6:02 AM

If you're like me, you've had a Nexus 7 for a while now and use it quite often.  If you're like me and approximately 90% of the grouper owners, you've noticed a catastrophic rise in lag since 4.2 was released.  Yesterday, I was perusing the ye ole Reddit when I noticed a discussion regarding this very same event.  It appears most of the discussion centered around Asus' SSD and I/O controllers, with the former degrading over time.  True or not, I couldn't really tell you.  Still, I pressed on undaunted, tried a few tips, and lo and behold, they work!  Sort of.

First, I wiped the cache in recovery.  Why?  Because I did.

Second, I downloaded this and ran it.  I may run it again, because it's like acupuncture for your SDcard directory.  In short, it populates the "free" space of your storage with blank files, then permanently removes them, ensuring that no lingering, past-deleted files exist to slow down everything.

This app will fill your SD Card with many blank files(*.blank), then delete all of the *.blank files.

This will ensure all deleted files on your SD Card are overwritten and cannot be recovered by any File Recovery Apps.

Third, I removed SwiftKey and Chrome from the device.  SwiftKey takes absolutely for-fucking-ever to load, and I've seen trials that went to the jury in a shorter time than Chrome takes to initially load a page.

Results?  A bit of the ole snap is back, but whether it lasts remains to be seen.  If the SSD truly "degrades" over time, as stated in the Reddit thread, I have a feeling that I'll be searching for a replacement tablet sooner rather than later.

Anywho, if your grouper is slow and you want to (briefly) rekindle its snappy magic, try the above and let me know what happens.

• Cory Streater, creccaj and N3xs like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 8:42 AM

Mine seems fine. It's an 8GB purchased at launch.

N3xs #3

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 8:46 AM

I have yet to try all this on my Grouper but I am pretty confident that it might just work! sort of... :P

I did not run that app on my Gnex but I did uninstall both Swiftkey and Chrome and went back to the stock equivalents...

Swiftkey was lagging enough for concern and Chrome was ridiculously slow but of course I blamed it all on my "old" Gnex... well it was a nice surprise to find that the stock browser is 1,000 times faster than Chrome and my keyboard is not freezing and lagging in the transitions anymore.

My phone, is still old (in today's standards sadly), and I still long for a new high end smartphone but this little change just made it a little easier to withstand the agonizing wait for my contract to die already!! ;) 

Thanks oh noble ombudsman of mountain view for da lil tip (had to google "ombudsman") ;) cheers!

Jerrod #4

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 12:37 PM

So what's with Chrome?  Why is the stock browser faster or better question...Why can't Chrome be as fast?  And all of these betas? This not make sense to me.

My N7 doesn't seem to be lagging or anything, but perhaps I don't have as much on it as many people.

N3xs #5

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 1:18 PM

So what's with Chrome?  Why is the stock browser faster or better question...Why can't Chrome be as fast?  And all of these betas? This not make sense to me.

My N7 doesn't seem to be lagging or anything, but perhaps I don't have as much on it as many people.

I ask myself the exact same questions ... Makes no sense whatsoever (to me at least)...
I love Chrome on my laptop and desktop at work... But as soon as it becomes mobile Chrome goes bonkers...that's too bad
Oh well for now the stock browser works just fine and much better

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 5:36 PM

Great question.  I've seen folks say that it does an incredibly memory intensive sync at launch, bogging everything down.  Makes sense, but it doesn't explain the incredible lag AFTER launch.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #7

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jun 23 '13 @ 7:45 AM

Maybe it's jacked up from flashing it one too many times. You should try it one more time to be sure :P

dmmarck #8

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jun 23 '13 @ 8:59 AM

Maybe it's jacked up from flashing it one too many times. You should try it one more time to be sure :P

lol since posting this I have, trust me :).

tacsig513.png

Phil Tann #9

Phil Tann
  • 19 posts
  • Device: Galaxy SIII and Nexus 7

Posted Jun 24 '13 @ 5:50 PM

Mine was getting really slow for a while, I did a fastboot flash back to the stock ROM including cache wipe etc and found the speed was back.

I was running Codename Android ROM for a while but that was getting pretty groggy, fine if I was drunk as hell because it was faster than me still...

but sober, no good!

:D

have a great day everyone.

• dmmarck likes this

Phil Tann

Writer/Podcast host

Ausdroid Media

www.ausdroid.net

Christopher Coleman #10

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 24 '13 @ 7:32 PM

Just flashed PA and then wiped internal storage.  Still flies.

Phil Tann #11

Phil Tann
  • 19 posts

Posted Jun 24 '13 @ 8:00 PM

Mine appears to have died this afternoon... How very distressing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Phil Tann

Writer/Podcast host

Ausdroid Media

www.ausdroid.net

Lee Bo #12

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 7:22 AM

Mine seems to be a bit laggy when I haven't used it for a while, but after a few seconds it seems fine.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

dmmarck #13

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 12:43 PM

Mine appears to have died this afternoon... How very distressing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

What happened?  Have you tried plugging it in and doing a hard reboot? (Power + Vol. Down to get to recovery)

Mine seems to be a bit laggy when I haven't used it for a while, but after a few seconds it seems fine.

I decided to switch layouts in Paranoid Android (from tablet to phablet) and that helped tremendously.  Still raises the blood pressure, though.

tacsig513.png

Phil Tann #14

Phil Tann
  • 19 posts

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 3:31 PM

It was very odd...
I charged it for a full day and it turned on again. But after 2 hours it wouldn't. All is OK now luckily, that thing is my main connection to the outside world while I'm in hospital with my son.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Phil Tann

Writer/Podcast host

Ausdroid Media

www.ausdroid.net

dmmarck #15

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 27 '13 @ 5:20 AM

Just a bit of an update. If you haven't already, try to update to 4.3.  Here's why...

It wasn’t any secret with the original Nexus 7 that much of the real world performance was gated by storage I/O throughput – we wrote about it after all – and storage performance was a common complaint while multitasking on a few other previous and similar era ASUS tablets. Most of the time performance was acceptable, and for $200 you can’t complain too much about things, the issue was that further on in the life of the tablet performance began degrading somewhat notably, leading to complaints.

Obviously the first thing I did on the Nexus 7 (2013) was run Androbench with the same 100 MB settings to test and see what out of box I/O performance looks like. Things are much better with the new Nexus 7 than they were with the previous one, so at a high level all is good.

The story actually is a bit more involved however. One of the big problems was that the slowness which occurred with the prior Nexus 7 took device aging to appear – it was great for the first few months, but after you started loading it things tailed off. The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around version 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’ve got a Nexus 7 that feels slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I'm checking on whether the other Nexus devices have also had TRIM support added. I would consider the slow storage aging problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

So ya hear that?  Google fixed it.  Go update and say a small thank you to Sundar Pichai and Hugo Barra.

(Also, ignore the awkward diction in the highlighted portion, for it is not my own and I have no idea how the hell someone would allow a sentence like that to go forward without proper proofing.  That being said, AnandTech is the shit.) 

tacsig513.png