Google io Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Ready Key Lime Pie Apple Microsoft Blackberry

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 19 '13 @ 8:50 AM

Google announced that in the coming months Android will join Apple, Microsoft and Blackberry in providing native support for Bluetooth Smart Ready and Bluetooth Smart devices. Phones and tablets with a dual-mode Bluetooth chip running an unnamed coming version of Android (possibly Android 4.3 or Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie) will qualify as Bluetooth Smart Ready. Android 4.2 Jelly Bean currently supports Android API level 17. The next version, Android API level 18 will support the new Smart Ready technology as well as previous versions (Bluetooth Classic).

Bluetooth Smart devices are designed to gather a specific piece of information—are all the windows on my house locked, what is my blood glucose level, how much do I weigh today?—and send it to Bluetooth Smart Ready devices such as a phones, tablets, PCs, TVs, even set-top boxes and game consoles.

Examples include heart-rate monitors, blood-glucose meters, smart watches, window and door security sensors, key fobs for your car, and blood-pressure cuffs – the opportunities are endless.

Bluetooth Smart appcessories (accessories + companion apps) like the FitBit Flex or the Pebble watch

android.jpg

The Galaxy S3, HTC One and Nexus 4 currently feature Bluetooth Smart Ready but the lack of native API support in Androids software meant that manufactures had to provide their own Bluetooth Smart SDKs. Now developers will be able to use the new Android API to feed data collected from Bluetooth Smart appcessories, like fitness monitors or medical devices, to their apps running on Bluetooth Smart Ready products, like smart phones or tablets. Once released, any new Bluetooth enabled phone or tablet running Android and featuring a dual mode Bluetooth radio chip will be Smart Ready.

Smart Ready, also known as BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is the only wireless technology to offer the ultra low power consumption via a low pulsing method and will bring connectivity to the millions of appcessories coming to market. The Bluetooth Smart products we are going to see in the coming months are going to make life better, give more insight, and enable us all to make more informed decisions. According to ABI Research, Bluetooth enabled appcessories are projected to experience massive growth—220 million units this year to nearly 1 billion per year by 2016.

Experience the world of Bluetooth Smart products

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 23 '13 @ 8:46 AM

Do we know for sure if it will be implemented in the next Android version or is this something they could farm out through GSF so any device with the required hardware can take advantage?

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jun 23 '13 @ 3:17 PM

It's definitely coming in the next version of Android.. whether thats 4.3 or 5.0, I'm not sure but the new API was announced at Google I/O this year and devs are already working on apps to take advantage of it.

For the devices that already have the required hardware (GS3, HTC One and Nexus 4).. you can use Bluetooth Smart Ready now but because manufactures had to provide their own SDKs, it's not the greatest.. for example, there's tons of complaints by people about the pebble watch losing connection with their devices. Having BLE part of the actual Android OS is whats going to allow the full potential of its capabilities.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :