Started by Christopher Coleman ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jun 20 '13 @ 2:55 PM

A few weeks ago I was with my mother and she wanted to use my laptop for something.  I spilled beer on it a while back and am too cheap to replace the keyboard (I'd rather spend my money on things I don't need.)  So when at home I use a USB keyboard, and when mobile I use my Nexus 7 as a keyboard / mouse for the PC.  So I said "my keyboard is broken, you'll have to use this," and she freaked out.  She was just totally overwhelmed and confused by something that was practically the same process as always except she'd be typing on a touchscreen instead of a physical keyboard.  It brought an emotional response out of her and the whole thing was just so weird.  With some people, presenting to them new tech especially in the mobile sector brings out the same response as if I had said "Hey, can you operate on my brain real quick?"  Needless to say, she didn't go through with it.

Surely I am not the only one who has experienced this with someone else they know.

Lee Bo #2

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 16 '13 @ 6:50 PM

Some people fear change, especially when it comes to technology.  They figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Along those same lines, many folks are set in their ways and don't want to change.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jul 16 '13 @ 7:18 PM

It's just baffling to me. I'd understand if someone has used Windows all their life and are suddenly thrown in front of Ubuntu...although in my mother's case that actually happened and she was fine with it. All I asked her to do was type on my tablet. The equivalent of a wireless keyboard.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 2

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 17 '13 @ 4:42 AM

+1 to what Lee said.

Chris, I can directly relate to your experience, but as I grow older I can also directly relate to your mother.

Lee Bo #5

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 17 '13 @ 10:53 AM

Chris, I can directly relate to your experience, but as I grow older I can also directly relate to your mother.

Sunny beaches.  I was just thinking that very same thing.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Malik Suleman #6

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Jan 5 '16 @ 9:54 AM

because they are very fearing to face the sucess of technology

annarichart #7

annarichart
  • 10 posts

Posted Dec 12 '16 @ 5:31 PM

Most people fear what they don't know. Some people fear new technologies because they are not familiar with them and because they don't know how to use them