• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 10:50 AM

Who this is for:

Your phone is rooted. It may or may not be running a custom ROM. You wish to return it back to factory defaults — possibly to return it to Verizon or to ensure you can successfully receive official OTA (over the air) updates.

You also want your phone to be running the latest official Jellybean ROM.

You understand that your phone will be wiped clean, root will be removed, and all bloatware will be restored.

Overview:

• You will use a Windows only (Mac users read post #2) application, called ODIN, to flash an official Verizon stock Jellybean 4.1.2 ROM that was released this past February.
  • You will then perform an OTA (over the air) update that was released in June.
    The Android OS version will remain the same, but the baseband and kernel versions are updated.

Phone Prep:

Follow the steps below to prepare your phone for flashing:

1. Charge it.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable.
  3. Turn the phone over and remove the battery.
  4. Reinsert the battery.
  5. Simultaneously press and hold the following 3 buttons:
    • Power
    • Volume down
    • Home button
  6. Release when you see the “Warning!!” message regarding the installation of a custom OS.
  7. Press the Volume Up button to continue.
    The screen will display a green Android robot with the words “Downloading… Do not turn off target!!” underneath.
  8. The upper left corner of the screen should display Custom Binary Counter: No. If so, continue to step 14.

If the Custom Binary Download value is set to Yes, with a count value of 1 or greater, you must reset this counter before proceeding:

XDA Developer, Chainfire, has developed an application called Triangle Away that will reset this counter. Triangle Away is available in the Play Store for $2.49. Chainfire also offers a free version via the XDA Forums. Simply install and run the application per the apps instructions.

Functionally, both the paid and free versions are equal. However, please consider the paid version as a token of appreciation for the hard work Chainfire put into the development of this app. This procedure would not be possible without his efforts.

9. Connect the phone to your computer.
  10. Set the phone aside for now.

Desktop Computer:

The following process has been tested & confirmed on a fresh install of Windows. It does not account for any:

• Existing Samsung mobile drivers you may have installed.
  • Antivirus, spyware, nor firewall applications.
  1. Download the following ZIP to your desktop:
  2. Extract the containing folders to your desktop:
    • Samsung Drivers – necessary for Windows to communicate with the phone.
    • ODIN – a Windows based application used to flash the ROM.
    • ROM – contains a tar file that will be flashed to the phone.
  3. Install the Samsung drivers located inside of the Samsung Drivers folder.
  4. Open the ODIN folder and double-click the ODIN executable.
    The blue bar under ID:COM indicates a connection has been made between your phone and ODIN.
  5. Enable the checkbox next to the PDA button.
  6. Click the PDA button.
  7. Navigate to the ROM folder and double click the tar file (ROM).
    ODIN will load the ROM and verify its MD5 hash. The ROM file name will display to the right of the PDA button when it’s finished.
  8. Click the Start button.
    ODIN will flash the ROM — a process that can take up to 10 minutes.

Phone ROM Flash:

1. Your phone will reset/reboot once ODIN has finished.
  2. As it boots, you will see:
    • An Android robot with a spinning orb.
    • Several Samsung logos.
    • An animated Verizon 4G LTE logo for up to 5 minutes.
    • Please wait while we prepare your phone for first time use.
    • The setup wizard prompting you to select a language.
  3. Select a language, then click Next.
  4. Click the home button to skip the rest of the setup wizard.

If your phone displays a bunch of process stopped popups, and/or gets stuck on the animated Verizon 4G LTE logo for 10 minutes or longer, follow the procedure in post #3 to resolve this issue:  

Phone Update:

1. Open the app drawer.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and tap About device.
    • Android 4.1.2
    • Baseband I535VRBMB1
    • Kernel PREEMPT date: Thu, Feb 14th
  4. Tap Software update.
  5. Tap Check New.
    Your phone will proceed to download a 110MB update. You can track the progress of the download via the notifications pull-down. The phone will eventually reboot and install all the required updates.
    When finished, the phones About device should display the following version information:
    • Android 4.1.2
    • Baseband I535VRBMF1
    • Kernel PREEMPT date: Sat, June 8th

Your phone is now running the most current version of Jellybean.

Questions are welcome!

Updated 10/5/2013: Removed the steps to enable USB Debugging Mode. USB Debugging is not a pre requisite of using ODIN.

Follow Cory Streater on Google Plus

Updated by Cory Streater, Oct 11 '13 @ 3:01 PM.
Removed USB Debugging Instructions

• mayorga80 likes this

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 10:51 AM

Mac users:
  • There is no Mac version of ODIN.
  • If you Google search "Mac ODIN alternative" — you will likely come across an open source application called Heimdall. I spent hours trying to get Heimdall to work, and ran into one road block after another.
  • A Windows virtual machine running inside of Parallels will not work. Windows will not detect your phone.
  • Some people spin up Windows on a Mac using an application called Bootcamp. I’m told this works as well, but I haven't personally tried it.
  • Best option: a Windows virtual machine running inside of VMWare Fusion will work just fine. This is the option I went with. There’s a 30-day free trial if cost is a concern. It's also available on Amazon for $43.00

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 10:53 AM

Follow the procedure below if one or both of the following occurs:

• Your phone displays the Verizon 4G LTE animated logo for more than 10 minutes.
  • Your phone repeatedly displays process stopped popups.
  1. Pull the battery.
  2. Insert the battery.
  3. Simultaneously press and hold the following 3 buttons:
    • Power
    • Volume up
    • Home button
  4. Release as soon as you see a blue booting into recovery message in the upper left corner of the screen.

5. It's important that you release as soon as you see it, otherwise the phone will bypass recovery mode, and continue booting.

In the middle of the screen, there should be an Android, flat on its back, with a warning sign on top. At the top of the screen, you should see a list of menu items to choose from.

6. Use the volume down button to highlight wipe data/factory reset, and use the power button to choose it.
  7. Use the volume down button & power button to confirm your choice above.
    The phone will proceed with a data wipe and factory reset.
  8. Select the option to wipe cache partition.
  9. Reboot the phone.

10. You should be all clear.

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Jul 1 '13 @ 10:54 AM

The Android Channel VZW S3 Back To JB Stock.zip (793.4 MB)

Tyman1122 #5

Tyman1122
  • 1 posts

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 11:54 AM

Thank you very very very much! I needed this!

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 12:26 PM

@Tyman1122, you're welcome :)

Yodair #7

Yodair
  • 1 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 9:07 AM

Quick question for you, I've downloaded the ROM and updated to the latest version of Jelly.  However, my phone did not wipe in the process and I'm still showing a count for binary installs.

What step did I miss?

I already had ODIN and the drivers.   All I did was put my phone into download mode, used ODIN to install the new ROM.  After the ROM was installed the phone was not wiped.  I confirmed the ROM was installed with verifying the versions etc. 

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 10:05 AM

Is it showing a different number other than 0 or is the status just saying modified? If its showing anything other than 0, you need to re-root (here) and use the application TriangleAway (here or here - courtesy of Chainfire) to reset the binary counter.. after that you can use these instructions above to return back to stock.

If the system just says modified.. then all you need to do is factory reset/wipe the phone.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #9

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 9:40 PM

I updated step 13, of the original post, to include additional information on what to do if the Custom Binary Download is set to something other than No.

Cyber Warrior #10

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Sep 25 '13 @ 5:58 PM

Worked great.. Thanks. GS3 is off for shipping... Hello GS4  :)

• Christopher Coleman likes this

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #11

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 18 '13 @ 7:24 PM

I think I really screwed the pooch on this one... I successfully rooted my SGS3 using the Casual Root Tool... when I went to make my first backup.. something went... awry. it rebooted instantly after typing in the name of what I wanted to save the file as and never came back. I cant do a VOLUP-Home-power... I am now trying to flash this back to stock. I can get to Odin mode but I see where my phone says "yes... (1...)" custom binary. I cannot boot to anything to reset with triangle away.. so I really think I'm stuck.

I actually already sent this in to Samsung but they just returned it saying it's beyond repair. Is there any hope for me?

Cory Streater #12

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Dec 18 '13 @ 10:37 PM

What happens if you ignore the fact that the counter says 1, and you proceed with the steps under the section title "Desktop Computer?" Does ODIN give you any sort of feedback in the log section?

This is a Verizon S3, correct?

Cyber Warrior #13

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 18 '13 @ 10:45 PM

I think I really screwed the pooch on this one... I successfully rooted my SGS3 using the Casual Root Tool... when I went to make my first backup.. something went... awry. it rebooted instantly after typing in the name of what I wanted to save the file as and never came back. I cant do a VOLUP-Home-power... I am now trying to flash this back to stock. I can get to Odin mode but I see where my phone says "yes... (1...)" custom binary. I cannot boot to anything to reset with triangle away.. so I really think I'm stuck.

I actually already sent this in to Samsung but they just returned it saying it's beyond repair. Is there any hope for me?

Don't worry about Triangle Away or resetting the flash counter for now,, you are soft bricked so the most important thing to do is get your phone running again. Not sure what went wrong without more info.. im guessing maybe you didn't reboot in between flashing the ROM and making a Nandroid???,, anytime you perform an action like flashing a ROM, make sure you reboot the phone before doing any other mods. Also when renaming, make sure there are no spaces in the file name.

Anyways, you should be able to fix your phone so don't panic. As long as you can get into Download mode and have ODIN running you should be fine. Boot your phone into Download mode and install ODIN on your computer.. follow the above/below steps and flash that stock file image to get your phone back to working conditions. From there you can worry about resetting the flash counter or anything else you may want to do.

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 1.35.50 AM.png

How to use ODIN: http://forums.theand...ow-to-use-odin/

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #14

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 8:59 AM

Good call on me not rebooting between successful root and trying to backup. also I think I did use spaces in the name. ok.. Learning is good. I have to say I was trained to be able to follow directions (Navy Nuclear Power Program), but the way I was trained makes me COMPLETELY dependent on the set of instructions being complete. I'm not at home right now but I'm downloading the zip to check it out. Another of my issues yesterday was trying to find a zip of a TAR or MD5 that I could use. I'll go through this tonight and hopefully be back up.

I intend for my next step to be to back up my ROM so I can recover on my own later if need be. Correct me if I'm wrong but I belive that is the VOLUP-HOME-PWR method and follow menus for saving the rom on internal/external memory. (with a reboot in between)

My ultimate goal is to flash a KitKat ROM on the phone.

-- UPDATE --

This is the story of my life.. that Zip file (The Android Channel VZW S3 Back To JB  Stock.zip) shows as being corrupted and I cannot open it. I'm trying it again.. will update after I try it again.

-- UPDATE2 --

Yup.. it failed again. I'm looking for my rope and a tall tree again.  I have Odin (working) and Samsung drivers.. all I need is the ROM.

Updated by Gman650, Dec 19 '13 @ 9:52 AM.

Cyber Warrior #15

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 9:46 AM

Yes.. get your phone back to working condition. On the phone.. shut down your device, then power on by simultaneously pressing the power button, home button and volume down key. Now you will see download mode and you will be asked if you want to cancel or continue. Press volume up to continue. That will prepare the phone to accept the TAR file from ODIN.

On your computer.. run ODIN and push the TAR file to the phone with the above instructions or here are the manual instructions:
DOWNLOAD:
  • Open up ODIN
  • Select only the following box: F. Reset Time
  • Flash the VRALEC bootchain in the PDA section and wait for a PASS message
  • Reset ODIN
  • Flash the VRALF bootchain in the PDA section and wait for a PASS message
  • Reset ODIN

Note

If you have trouble flashing the bootchains with the method above, try this instead:
  • 1: Flash the first bootchain.
  • 2: Unplug the device while leaving it in "Download Mode".
  • 3: Exit ODIN and then restart it.
  • 4: Plug the device back in while still in "Download Mode".
  • 5: Flash the second bootchain.
  • 6: Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4.

7. Put the stock.vzw_root66.tar in the PDA section
8. Select the following boxes: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time, Nand Erase All

capturerjk.png

9. Start the flash process
Your phone will reboot, but it WILL NOT boot to the homescreen. After you receive a PASS message in ODIN, pull the battery and do the following:
  • Reboot into Stock Recovery (hold volume-up, home button, power button simultaneously)

Note

You WILL see the following error in recovery so don't freak out:

Code:
    E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
    E:Can't mount /data/fota/ipth-muc.prop
  • Wipe data/factory reset
  • Wipe cache partition
  • Reboot
Now your phone will boot up completely with no problems! 
  • Gman650 likes this

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #16

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 9:48 AM

I intend for my next step to be to back up my ROM so I can recover on my own later if need be. Correct me if I'm wrong but I belive that is the VOLUP-HOME-PWR method and follow menus for saving the rom on internal/external memory. (with a reboot in between)

My ultimate goal is to flash a KitKat ROM on the phone.

You will need to use a custom recovery like TWRP or ClockworkMod Recovery for making Nandroids. This is for ClockworkMod: http://forums.theand...r-cwm-recovery/

If you want to use TWRP.. I can include instructions later on.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #17

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 11:28 AM

DOWNLOAD:

... OK 2/3 work... I now have both boochains.. but as I always have.. I have problems getting that root66.tar... when I click on the megashare link.. I am bounced over to clouddownloadservers.com.. that whole screen says "Start your download click 2 links".. yet there are no links to click. the one thing that is clickable are those words "Start your download click 2 links" and the hyperlink for that is the same page I'm on (clouddownloadservers.com). I tried both FF and IE10.. same thing.

I clicked the torrent which I think downloaded a torrent link.. but I've always heard how hinky torrents can be so I've never used one before. can you recommend a client?

Cyber Warrior #18

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 11:49 AM

Yeah sorry, Mega link no longer works I guess..

I just tested this link, it includes the root66 tar file as well as ODIN.. Unzip and take the tar file.
http://server10.stoc...token=849694593
  • Gman650 likes this

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #19

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 1:13 PM

Yeah sorry, Mega link no longer works I guess..

I just tested this link, it includes the root66 tar file as well as ODIN.. Unzip and take the tar file.
http://server10.stoc...token=849694593

It started OK.. but then got slower and slower untill it failed at about 250MB 45 minutes into it. I will try again from home as I am not waiting 1.5 hours at work which would bring me past 5. I'll update later on my second attempt. (Thanks for all yor help!)

-- UPDATE --

Jeez that download crawled! bounced between 150KB and 200KB/sec. And Murphy made an appearance again.. the GFCI ckt breaker that my PC was on decided to trip at the halfway point. It's happened 3x in 3 years.. and tonight was one. Started over.. I got it.. wish me luck!

Updated by Gman650, Dec 19 '13 @ 4:43 PM.

Gman650 #20

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 4:57 PM

VRALEC worked... VRALF doesnt.. this is what ODIN says:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
<OSM> BOOTLOADER-I535VRALF2-618049-REV09-user-low-ship.tar-2-.md5 is invalid.
<OSM> End...

Ok.. I've moved my cell back onto a wall charger to hold over until I can complete the loads. I'll need to get another VRALF2 to make this work but I dont know if I can use any I find or if I need to look for something specific. I found one but its twice the size of the one you sent me to. I also want to make sure.. No phone reboot between VRALEC and VRALF2? other sites call for one after each load (like HERE... and that's where I found the VRALF2 thats 5590KB)

Updated by Gman650, Dec 19 '13 @ 5:34 PM.

Cyber Warrior #21

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 6:39 PM

Not sure why it's double the size, I pulled the link directly from the Dev who wrote the original procedure.

Anyway, he says both boot chains are not necessary.. it's more of a double dose of precaution.. One boot chain will do just fine.. So if you have VRALEC successful, you can flash the root66 tar file.

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #22

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 6:43 PM

Reboot in between shouldn't matter since your phone won't start up anyway.. The instructions I attached are for softbricked phones/bootloaders.. which is what you have. The phone should be good to go once that tar file successfully passes.

Also don't ever unplug the device from the computer while the procedure is running. If you already unplugged.. start over from the VRALEC bootchain and then follow with the root66 tar. If you're connected to your computer, your device is being charged.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #23

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 7:30 PM

I started over with VRALEC.. that worked like before..

Went on to the route66 file...

I dont think this was supposed to happen:

<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Updated by Gman650, Dec 19 '13 @ 7:33 PM.

Cyber Warrior #24

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 7:36 PM

Nope.. Failed. Is your device recognized by ODIN? The first line should read Device Added or Added. What step went wrong? The bootchain or root66? or did nothing pass at all? You may need to unplug and re-plug your device before starting the ODIN process.. Just don't unplug anything once it starts.. always wait until it fails, passes, or exit.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #25

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 7:44 PM

Yes recognized by Odin3 (v3.07) with the blue 0:[com4] and Added!!

Bootchain VRALEC passed

Route66 failed... first time...

Trying again.. seems to be getting further.. standby...

Success!  reentering everything...

TWRP next?

Updated by Gman650, Dec 19 '13 @ 8:05 PM.

Cyber Warrior #26

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 8:31 PM

Yes recognized by Odin3 (v3.07) with the blue 0:[com4] and Added!!
Bootchain VRALEC passed
Route66 failed... first time...

Trying again.. seems to be getting further.. standby...

Success!  reentering everything...

TWRP next?

Awesome, glad you got in finally working.

I've seen a few incidents where people had problems getting TWRP onto the GS3 for some reason using GooManager.. Using ODIN to install TWRP seems to be the way to go.

Few questions before you begin.
Make sure you're still rooted.. Do you have the SuperSU app and root access?

If so.. You can install TWRP by either using the app GooManager, found in the Play Store or by using the more reliable way, using ODIN.

Or you can use ClockworkMod Recovery using the app ROM Manager to install it.

Both recoveries get the job done, it depends on preference. I find ClockworkMod a little bit more user friendly.. TWRP has more features for the advanced user. Both are easy enough to learn though.

So what recovery do you want? You can try TWRP through GooManager and see if it successfully installs.. If not you'll have to push the file using ODIN (let me know if you need it)... Or just use CWM Recovery which should be hassle free.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #27

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 8:46 PM

Make sure you're still rooted.. Do you have the SuperSU app and root access?

Well I dont really know... im being bombarded with OTA updates. I downloaded SuperSU.. but when I run it it says there are other superuser apps running. I cancelled out at that point.

Tomorrow is another day for me.

Cyber Warrior #28

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 8:49 PM

Lol, sounds good. We'll at least you don't have a $600 paper weight anymore ;) .. I'll be around if you need help.. I've soft bricked my fair share of devices numerous times.. including the GS3 :)

tacsig513.png

Bob Murray #29

Bob Murray
  • 1 posts

Posted Dec 20 '13 @ 6:26 AM

guide is flawed. had the problem stated, followed the guide, failed every time. i ticked the box in odin nand erase all. worked like a charm.. 

Cyber Warrior #30

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 20 '13 @ 8:03 AM

guide is flawed. had the problem stated, followed the guide, failed every time. i ticked the box in odin nand erase all. worked like a charm..

Not sure what you did but the guide works just fine, as well as any other procedure involving ODIN.. I would say 99% of any instructions for using ODIN, whether it's this guide or another require that only two checkboxes be checked... Auto Reboot and F .Reset Time. (Some procedures will call for auto reboot to be unchecked) .. But if you succeeded with nand erase, you are extremely lucky, checking nand erase all and erasing the Nand will almost guarantee you will end up with a completely bricked phone past no repair, unless you truly know the ins and outs of what you are doing.
androidchannelodin1.jpg

tacsig513.png