Google Moto X

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 2 '13 @ 5:15 PM

Motorola has unveiled its first ad for its upcoming Moto X smartphone — but it seems to raise more questions than it does to answer.

The ad features a man and women playing by a lake. The phone is not advertised or pictured anywhere in the advertisement but it's safe to say we're talking about the upcoming Moto X Phone which does appear in the text. Instead, its focus is on whats written, where it claims the phone will be the “first smartphone you can design yourself.”

Why would you want that? According to the ad, “Because today you should have the freedom to design things in your life that are as unique as you are.” 

The full-page Moto X ad will appear Wednesday in the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. The ads message starts off by pointing out that the phone is the first to be “designed, engineered, and assembled” in the U.S. which is great timing for the company to ring in Independence Day.

Motorola didn’t mention any specific details on what the ad is referring to, but it sounds like there will be some method to heavily customize the phone once it’s released which rumors range from being able to select the processor, screen, materials like kevlar or plastic... or maybe it's just as simple as choosing the devices colors or accessories.

"The first smartphone you can design yourself can mean so many things" .....So what's your thoughts?

View the full ad

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jul 2 '13 @ 11:39 PM

I have a raging phoner right now.  I can't wait for this.

• 7stringer, 2defmouze and lpt2569 like this

7stringer #3

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 4:50 AM

OH, and thank the flying spaghetti monster. 

• Cory Streater and 2defmouze like this

I have the Rickets! 

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 5:09 AM

Yea I've been saying that for a while now.. For anyone thinking this phone is going to be a Droid or is destined to replace the RAZR line.. it's not happening. I've even seen some leaks of it looking like a RAZR with the squared edges and kevlar backing.. that's not happening either. The squared razor shaped edges are, well, for the RAZR. The kevlar backing, I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one either since it's a RAZR feature, but you can't count it out. This phone is being released on all major US carriers, right there that squashes any Droid or RAZR replacement rumors. Maybe the phone won't have kevlar, but it will be built to take a beating.. that's one feature that they've already hinted at.. having an unbrakeable screen and can withstand the impact of being dropped.

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 5:16 AM

One thing that catches my interest is the speculation of choosing your own screen, processor, etc.. This could very well be true.. they did say that the Moto X would be one of many in the Moto X line, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them release maybe let's say 3 different smartphones all with different specs ranging from entry level up to full blown flagship device.

tacsig513.png

Johnny5 #6

Johnny5
  • 89 posts

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 5:27 AM

No doubt this is refreshing. Exciting to see, and putting dollars her in the USA really bodes well with me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jerrod #7

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 10:27 AM

This may be what I am waiting for.  Imagine being able to select different processors, perhaps screen resolutions, batteries sizes(I know a stretch), or even different size phones.

The low entry X phone may have the specs that have been leaking, but you could then get a the same phone or a bigger phone with better specs. This would allow a range of incomes to purchase this phone.

Software:  How about we get a phone with plain android, but we can then go to a Moto play site or Google Play and pay for and download additional software provided by Motorola. So if you want those buble widget things you get that online as an extra.  You want smart actions - you can that online as an extra.  You want to enhance the camera - you download additional camera software. This way you get to pick your hardware, and you get to pick the Motorola software you want running on the phone.  Moto (Google) gets to patent any of this software so this is not open source and the software will not  run on other phones.  At the same time you can download any app from google play and use it too.

Me think I wish for too much.

• Cory Streater and Cyber Warrior like this

Christopher Coleman #8

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 11:29 AM

They would probably charge for stock Android packages instead of charging for their own software enhancements.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 2

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 5:31 PM

New details from ABC News.. 

Through a website, buyers will be able to select from a palette of different colors. One color can be used for the back case and another can be selected for the trim of the phone. Users will also be able to engrave a name or message on the back cover as well as upload a personal photo through the site to be used as the wallpaper on the phone's screen, according to people familiar with the rollout.

The phone will run Google's Android operating system, and a version running Android 4.2.2 is currently being tested by carriers, including Verizon. People will be able to buy the mid-range phone via the web but also buy standard versions through carrier stores. The phone will be available at various major U.S. carriers, Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside announced last month.  While users cannot customize the internals of the phone, including the processor or memory, it will be available with multiple storage options.

Source: abcnews

Other possibilities include customizing the case material (plastic, metal, wood, carbon fiber) and color as well as the software options.. wallpaper, apps, ringtones, etc..

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #10

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 7:10 PM

Hmm. I'm suddenly way less excited about this.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze #11

2defmouze
  • 18 posts
  • Device: Nexus 4 ; Nexus 7

Posted Jul 3 '13 @ 8:10 PM

My favorite deity as well :)

• 7stringer likes this

Jerrod #12

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Jul 7 '13 @ 6:17 AM

I wouldn't mind being able to add metal or something to my phone.  Honestly customizing wall paper and ringtones is not something that I need MOTO to do for me, I do this myself all the time, but there is mention of customizing software apps so I wonder what else will we will be able to pick?

Mid range.  Wasn't there some mention of Google working to streamline Android so phones with less than high range hardware could run on it.  If this is so it may not make that much difference if the phone doesn't have quad processors. 

Updated by Jerrod, Jul 7 '13 @ 6:50 AM.

Jerrod #13

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Jul 7 '13 @ 6:45 AM

Questions:

I m on Verizon(Sounds like a drug I am taking) So if I buy this phone from the web I reckon it would be at full price and I would not be paying Verizon anything.  My current contract is up in December so what would the purchase of this phone do?  I would still be on my current contract right?

The abc news article did not mention buying the phone from the Google Play store, but if it was available there then it would be like all the other phones being sold there -  totally stock android without the use of the extra sensors?  

Many details and questions  unanswered at this point.

Cyber Warrior #14

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 7 '13 @ 8:37 AM

Depends on where you buy it from.. If you're buying it from Verizons website, you have the choice of upgrading your line (if you have an upgrade due) and would pay the discount price or you can buy it off contract (from Verizon or a 3rd party like Amazon) for full retail (in this case it sounds like the phone will be very affordable) price which does not affect your current plan/features.

As for the Google Play Store, that's a good question that nobody has the answer to. The past Google Experience phones have been from HTC and Samsung. The Moto X is already a Google phone running vanilla Android.. If I had to guess, I would say there's not going to be a GE type of this phone which would really only remove the sensor technology.. everything else on this phone is already hinting at being able to customize the software in which what apps, etc... comes pre-installed on the phone.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #15

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Jul 8 '13 @ 12:14 PM

So this Moto X is going to be running vanilla Android?  For some reason I thought It would be running a Moto version of Android that mostly looked like vanilla. If it has this sensor stuff is that still vanilla, though I guess vanilla is not Stock.

If I like this phone I don't have a problem buying it at full price since I am grandfathered into unlimited data and that is the only way I could retain it.  Truth is that I never use more than 2G a month so I  guess I could just as well go to AT&T although  I've had Verizon since it was the company located down the street, before it was named Verizon so moving away will be interesting.

Still,  paying full price - I kinda wish to buy a phone with killer specs....huge memory, fast processors,  blazing GPU,  great screen,  built with metal or steel or even better a real copper accent stripe.

dmmarck #16

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 8 '13 @ 5:06 PM

So this Moto X is going to be running vanilla Android? For some reason I thought It would be running a Moto version of Android that mostly looked like vanilla. If it has this sensor stuff is that still vanilla, though I guess vanilla is not Stock.

If I like this phone I don't have a problem buying it at full price since I am grandfathered into unlimited data and that is the only way I could retain it. Truth is that I never use more than 2G a month so I guess I could just as well go to AT&T although I've had Verizon since it was the company located down the street, before it was named Verizon so moving away will be interesting.

Still, paying full price - I kinda wish to buy a phone with killer specs....huge memory, fast processors, blazing GPU, great screen, built with metal or steel or even better a real copper accent stripe.

Agreed. That underscores how awesome the Nexus 4 is/was. Killer specs, killer price.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #17

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 8 '13 @ 8:09 PM

So this Moto X is going to be running vanilla Android?  For some reason I thought It would be running a Moto version of Android that mostly looked like vanilla. If it has this sensor stuff is that still vanilla, though I guess vanilla is not Stock.

The reports say that the Moto X will provide users with a “pure Android” experience but the device is not slated to be a Nexus device as Google reportedly wishes to keep Motorola handsets and the Nexus family separate.

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #18

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 8 '13 @ 8:29 PM

Some of the colors for the backplate/cases
Moto-X-Backplate-Colors.png

New images of the phone’s chassis, glass face, outer casing, and a kevlar shell

Attached Images

• moto-x-leak-case-1.jpg
  • moto-x-leak-case-2.jpg
  • moto-x-leak-case-3.jpg
  • moto-x-leak-case-4.jpg

• Johnny5 likes this

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #19

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 8 '13 @ 9:00 PM

Christ I hope they have darker colors lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #20

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 8 '13 @ 9:10 PM

Supposedly every color imaginable as well as options to customize the materials.. plastic, metal, carbon fiber, etc..

It sounds like they nailed the customization department.. Im just hoping everything else lives up to the hype.. Ive been itching for a new phone for a while now :P

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #21

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 9 '13 @ 4:24 AM

Supposedly every color imaginable as well as options to customize the materials.. plastic, metal, carbon fiber, etc..

It sounds like they nailed the customization department.. Im just hoping everything else lives up to the hype.. Ive been itching for a new phone for a while now :P

Mastodon tusk? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 7stringer likes this

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #22

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Jul 9 '13 @ 12:20 PM

Mastodon tusk - Petrified ivory tusk gives  a very cool color. Kinda white, kinda cream, kinda red,  but I prefer slate blue.  I  am hooked on copper I still want  copper bands.

7stringer #23

7stringer
  • 161 posts

Posted Jul 10 '13 @ 5:25 AM

If this thing lets you swipe and tap your fingers on its screen to perform actions, I'm in. 

• Johnny5 likes this

I have the Rickets! 

Cyber Warrior #24

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 10 '13 @ 5:31 AM

If this thing lets you swipe and tap your fingers on its screen to perform actions, I'm in.

You can pretty much do this on any phone now, using gestures from Nova or Apex Launcher.

tacsig513.png

7stringer #25

7stringer
  • 161 posts

Posted Jul 10 '13 @ 6:28 AM

You can pretty much do this on any phone now, using gestures from Nova or Apex Launcher.

I was being facetious. You can tap/swype any smartphone to perform actions. ;-)

I have the Rickets! 

Cyber Warrior #26

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 10 '13 @ 7:14 AM

I was being facetious. You can tap/swype any smartphone to perform actions. ;-)
doh! that's true lol.

tacsig513.png

Johnny5 #27

Johnny5
  • 89 posts

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 8:58 AM

The oem is here. I remember all those clamoring that it was about the patents and not the oem. Looks like the oem will be making google money first. Awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2