• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 5 '13 @ 4:11 PM

Overview:

The attached application will enable root access on the Verizon Galaxy S III using a root method originally developed by djrbliss (Dan Rosenberg) for the Motorola Razr HD. The method, known as Motochopper, has proven to work on a variety of devices.

This application will also unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery developed by Team Win Recovery Project — opening the door to flash custom ROM's if you wish to do so.

Lastly, it will install a super user access management app called SuperSU.

SuperSU.png

Example: SuperSU

Credits:

• Motochopper by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
  • Custom Recovery by Team Win Recovery Project
  • SuperSU by ChainFire
  • CASUALApp by Adam Outler
  • Scripting and repackaging by Cory Streater

Compatibility:

This tool is a Java app and will work on both Windows and OSX.

It's been tested & deemed compatible with the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S III:

Model number:       SCH-I535

Android version:     4.1.2

Baseband version: I535VRBMF1

Kernel Version:       3.0.31-1152558

This information can be verified by opening the devices About screen via the settings menu:

about-device.png

About Device Screen

Download:

The Android Channel VZW Galaxy S3 Root Tool

Steps:

1. Open Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging
  2. Connect phone to computer.
  3. Open The Android Channel VZW Galaxy S3 Root Tool
  4. Follow the steps displayed in the root tool.

dev-options.png

Example: Enable USB Debugging

Definitions:

Bootloader: software that loads an operating system into memory. All Android devices are sold with locked bootloaders — prohibiting the ability to load non-manufacturer software (e.g., custom ROM's)

Root: Enables super user access to areas within Android's subsystem.

root-explorer.png

Example: accessing the /system/app folder with Root Explorer

Custom recovery: replaces the stock Android recovery. Custom recoveries enable the ability to install custom ROM's, partition and cache management, full system backups and restores, and much more.

teamwin.png

Team Win Recovery Project

Follow Cory Streater on Google Plus

• Cyber Warrior and creccaj like this

Legate440 #2

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 5 '13 @ 8:02 PM

I'm a noob when it comes to this...never rooted a phone before but i want to. I've been searching ways to root my sgs3 and this method seems the easiest without a doubt...but can you confirm this or is there another 1 click rooting option that is best? TIA

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 9:18 AM

I'm a noob when it comes to this...never rooted a phone before but i want to. I've been searching ways to root my sgs3 and this method seems the easiest without a doubt...but can you confirm this or is there another 1 click rooting option that is best? TIA

This is as good as it gets.. very easy. If you need help along the way, just ask and someone will guide you through it.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Legate440 #4

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 2:54 PM

Thanks warrior....so i went though with it and everything seems to work fine.....my only problem now is can i recieve ota updates without hurting (bricking) my phone? TIA

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 4:30 PM

OTA's won't brick the phone but it will cause you to lose root if you accept them.

It comes down to what your needs are:
If you are looking to stay stock (the way the phone is now) and just want to remove bloat or something then you can try something called OTA Root Keeper.. personally I've never used this before but it supposedly lets you accept OTA's without losing root.
OTA Root Keeper

If you are looking to install custom ROMs, then you have nothing to worry about because the ROM developers remove/block the OTA's from accessing the phone. When a new update comes out, for example Android 4.3.. then the ROM developer will update their ROM to the new software and thats the way you will stay up to date with the latest operating system. There's no need for OTA's from the carriers.

Also another thing you can do if you are looking to remain stock is block the OTA update file yourself using Titanium Backup to freeze the file. On the GS3, the file is called "SDM". Then once the new update comes out.. developers will release a version of the OTA thats safe to use on rooted devices.

Are you looking to stay stock and keep the phone the way it is? ....or are you looking to customize the phone and use different ROMs?

tacsig513.png

Legate440 #6

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 5:17 PM

Originally i just wanted some of the apps i couldnt get without rooting lol but i think i will keep it stock for now but later on i might try to install custom roms

Legate440 #7

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 5:18 PM

Also i downloaded the ota root keeper

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 5:26 PM

Ok, so the OTA Rootkeeper app will be the easiest route. Its not 100% guaranteed but worse case scenario, you lose root when the OTA comes and then you would have to re-root.

Other option is Titanium Backup.. within the app you click on the backup/restore tab and then scroll down to the file that says 'SDM'.. select it and freeze it. This method is 100% guaranteed but you will have to learn how to flash ROMs in order to install the newest OTA (safe for root version). Which is this guide:
http://forums.theand...r-cwm-recovery/

I'm not sure how advanced you are so if I'm losing you just let me know and I'll explain things better step by step.

tacsig513.png

Legate440 #9

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 6:25 PM

Ill just stay as is and change if i need it in the future.....like i said in an earlier post..im a noob at this....i lterally learned about rooting about three days ago
  • Cyber Warrior likes this

Cory Streater #10

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 6 '13 @ 10:03 PM

Ill just stay as is and change if i need it in the future.....like i said in an earlier post..im a noob at this....i lterally learned about rooting about three days ago

You might be new, but you asked some really great and legitimate questions.

I'd just add that it is really difficult to truly "brick" a phone. 99% of the time, you can recover a Samsung phone by simply flashing a stock image. For the Galaxy S3 on Verizon, that would be this procedure.
  • morningforest likes this

Legate440 #11

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 9:25 AM

I appreciate it and thanks.....I do have one more question. Ever since i rooted my battery has been getting warmer by a good amount......i dont have the exact temp. I did turn up the processor speed but ive lowered it since it got hot. Is the faster processor the likely suspect for this or could it be something else?

Cyber Warrior #12

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 9:50 AM

Yes, that would definitely be the cause. Are you still stock? because you really shouldn't be messing with the stock kernel. (the kernel is what controls the speed of the processor) If not, what kernel are you using and how high did you have it? But short answer, yes.. adjusting the speed of the CPU will/can cause the device to run hotter.. possibly frying the board depending how high you go if you're not careful. Its been a while since I've messed with kernel speeds, having a custom ROM and Kernel is usually good enough for me, but the days I did overclock.. I would never dare go anywhere near or over 1900MHz. Right now my highest is set to 1512MHz which is pretty much default for this device. If I were to go higher, I might bump it up a few hundred (1600-1700). There's really no need to go higher unless you're showing off for benchmarks/pushing it to its limits. Not to mention overclocking will cause the battery to drain faster as well. Then there's also the voltage, which can be under clocked to help battery life, but this is all advanced stuff that I myself don't even mess with. If you are going to play around with different kernels, either keep them the way the devs have them set by default and if you 'really' want to tinker with things.. boost the speed by a few hundred or just try the different CPU settings like 'On demand' or 'Interactive X' which is a whole other story lol. I should probably write a guide on this. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Legate440 #13

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 10:12 AM

The only thing i did was root using casual.....havent done anything else and downloaded AnTuTu cpu master and turned it all he way up lol...i still have it turned down.....i just really wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference...which there wasnt so ill leave it be for now

Cyber Warrior #14

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 10:26 AM

Yeah that app is for adjusting the speeds of kernels that were built to be over clocked. Its near impossible to brick a phone messing with different ROMs/software but messing with the electricity is guaranteed to fry your phone ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Legate440 #15

Legate440
  • 8 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:52 AM

Should i have the minimum and maximum at a certain mhz?

Cyber Warrior #16

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 3:07 PM

Max should be around 1512 (I believe that is stock default) and the minimum should be as low as it goes at 384.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

morningforest #17

morningforest
  • 2 posts

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 1:32 PM

i have lock up my sg3 after loading the root then trying to load cm10  i just keeps saying cant load md5 can you help

going on 12 hours of trying to fix

thanks for any help

morningforest #18

morningforest
  • 2 posts

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 1:40 PM

my sge has been loked up for 12 hours after trying this and i can not reboot just goes back to the cm10 logo

I can get in and try to load the app just says cannot find md5  and the usb-otg seams to be gone

i put the titaniaum backup and ran it I can find but only gets back to the unable to fing md5

if you can help or send me in the right place i would greatly be thankful n

its driving me made

Cyber Warrior #19

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 1:50 PM

my sge has been loked up for 12 hours after trying this and i can not reboot just goes back to the cm10 logo

I can get in and try to load the app just says cannot find md5  and the usb-otg seams to be gone

i put the titaniaum backup and ran it I can find but only gets back to the unable to fing md5

if you can help or send me in the right place i would greatly be thankful n

its driving me made

Did you make a Nandroid backup by any chance? It sounds like you have a bad download or possibly downloaded the wrong CM10 file... can you link to what/where you downloaded CM10 please?

tacsig513.png

LouCipherr #20

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S3

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 4:48 AM

Ok, a quick question from a rooting noob: will this one-click root technique wipe everything off my phone?  I really don't want to lose my current apps and setup, and I didn't see it mentioned in this thread if this root method causes a loss of data...?

Thanks

Cory Streater #21

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 4:53 AM

Ok, a quick question from a rooting noob: will this one-click root technique wipe everything off my phone?  I really don't want to lose my current apps and setup, and I didn't see it mentioned in this thread if this root method causes a loss of data...?

Thanks

No data will be lost using this process.

LouCipherr #22

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 6:13 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info Cory. :)

LouCipherr #23

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 6:54 AM

Cory, I have another question:

So I ran the root tool, it seems everything was successful, however, at the end of the root tool script, it says:

"When the Team Win Recovery Project Screen displays

1) click reboot

2) click system

3) click the option to fix root."

Problem is, once the tool was finished running, this screen never displayed even after a reboot of my phone.   Any suggestions as to where to go now?   Phone seems to be working fine, and SuperSU is indeed installed, so I'm a bit confused with the instructions above.

Thanks

**edited for spelling

Updated by LouCipherr, Aug 13 '13 @ 7:24 AM.

Cyber Warrior #24

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 8:26 AM

I'll let Cory answer that but you can double check that everything is okay by booting into recovery and making sure the custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) is now the default recovery. Also if you have access to apps that require root privilege/permission ... then everything should be fine.
Manually entering recovery:
-Power off device
-Power back on by holding Volume Up + Home + Power button simultaneously together until you see the recovery screen.

tacsig513.png

LouCipherr #25

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 10:41 AM

Interesting.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  While I do have root privileges (Titanium Backup Pro is showing that the root is present and ok), when I boot into recovery mode as you suggested above, it comes up with the standard "Android system recovery (3e)"

It seems for some reason, unless I'm not doing something correctly, TWRP or CWM was not installed.

Cyber Warrior #26

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 11:08 AM

OK, that's what I thought. I believe the step you missed is what keeps the custom recovery from being overwritten by the stock recovery every time the phone is rebooted.

I'm not familiar with TWRP, so someone else is going to have to help you with that one.. but you can try flashing ClockworkMod Recovery by using the app ROM Manager. After the recovery flashes, try rebooting the phone again like mentioned above and see if the custom recovery is sticking. If not you're probably going to have to run the root program again, maybe you accidentally skipped the part that you mentioned for repairing root.

tacsig513.png

creccaj #27

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 11:43 AM

If you want TWRP, the quick (and lazy way ;)) is to download the goo.im app from the play store.  Once it's downloaded you just have to click the menu key and selection option to "Install OpenScriptRecovery".  This will flash TWRP on your device the easy way.  

Edit:  Here is the link: https://play.google....s0up.goomanager

• dmmarck likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

LouCipherr #28

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 11:50 AM

I guess the important question is this:  how important is it to have TWRP or CWM?  From what I'm reading (again, rooting noob here so please bear with my ignorance as I work through these questions and this process), that is for if you're intending to flash other ROMs, correct?   I don't plan to do that, my reasoning for rooting was more to eliminate bloatware from my carrier and freeze things I don't want running.

The root seems to be working fine without any issues, and I've even created a backup using Titanium and froze or eliminated most of the bloatware I wasn't interested in.  Since that's the case, does having TWRP or CWM really matter if my intentions is not to flash any new ROMs in the future?

Thanks for your help, Cyber Warrior.  Much appreciated.

LouCipherr #29

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 11:51 AM

creccaj - thanks for the info, man.  Funny you mentioned goo.im as I already downloaded it and looked at it... I just wasn't quite sure what to do with it until someone gave me some clear-cut instructions so I left it installed until I understood what it was all about.. 

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Updated by LouCipherr, Aug 13 '13 @ 11:55 AM.

dmmarck #30

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 11:55 AM

You should also be able to fastboot flash the recovery image.  If you're not familiar with fastboot, I suggest reading a few guides here that discuss its use before jumping in.

If you are familiar with fastboot, just make sure your phone is in "fastboot mode" (usually the bootloader), hook it up to your computer, open a Command Prompt and type:

fastboot flash recovery [insertnameofrecoveryimage].img

Hit enter, and boom, recovery installed :).

As for which recovery, I use TWRP (predominantly) but am giving CWM a spin on my One.  CWM was the gold standard for about 2 years, then TWRP came around with a neat queuing feature (you can basically set a list of stuff to flash then swipe to flash all of them) and with a much simpler and faster touch interface.

The "new" CWM isn't bad, but I'll probably be going back to TWRP shortly.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked