Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #31

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 12:13 PM

I guess the important question is this: how important is it to have TWRP or CWM? From what I'm reading (again, rooting noob here so please bear with my ignorance as I work through these questions and this process), that is for if you're intending to flash other ROMs, correct? I don't plan to do that, my reasoning for rooting was more to eliminate bloatware from my carrier and freeze things I don't want running.

The root seems to be working fine without any issues, and I've even created a backup using Titanium and froze or eliminated most of the bloatware I wasn't interested in. Since that's the case, does having TWRP or CWM really matter if my intentions is not to flash any new ROMs in the future?

Thanks for your help, Cyber Warrior. Much appreciated.

You can get away with not having it, as you can see things are working fine. But.. I recommend eventually trying to fix the problem and getting it installed, even if you don't plan on flashing custom ROMs. Any time you're modifying the stock android system, including removing bloat, you run the chance of something going wrong so it's good to have a security blanket. One thing you should always have is a Nandroid backup of the stock system before making any changes. Since you already skipped that, it's not the end of the world. Once you get the custom recovery working, you can still make a backup image of your working system.. just in case you ever need it to repair something that may go wrong.. or you may change your mind in the future and may want to install a custom ROM or a leaked update, so it's always good to have that custom recovery available.
However if something does eventually go wrong, the great thing about Samsung devices is we can also boot into download mode and use a program called Odin to return our devices back to stock/factory conditions.

There's info in the Tools for Hacking your Device forum which covers Odin as well as making Nandroid backups.

If you need help or have more questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #32

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 3:38 PM

Hi Lou,

I'm not sure why it didn't push the custom recovery, but running the tool a second time will not cause any issues.

TWRP or CWM

For me personally, it really doesn't matter which recovery app I choose. They both allow me to flash custom ROM's, and they both allow me to backup/take a snapshot od the entire phone in the event I want to restore it at a later point. 

LouCipherr #33

LouCipherr
  • 7 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S3

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 7:03 AM

If you want TWRP, the quick (and lazy way ;)) is to download the goo.im app from the play store.  Once it's downloaded you just have to click the menu key and selection option to "Install OpenScriptRecovery".  This will flash TWRP on your device the easy way.  

Edit:  Here is the link: https://play.google....s0up.goomanager

creccaj - thanks for the advice, this worked like a charm.  TWRP is now installed and a full backup has been completed.  :)

Thanks to everyone here for their advice and for putting up with another rooting noob. I appreciate you guys taking the time to guide me in the right direction.

-Lou

• Cyber Warrior and creccaj like this

Noobie2086 #34

Noobie2086
  • 5 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 8:37 PM

Cory,

I too am a newbie at rooting (and to the Galaxy S3), and looked a long time before trying this one.  I think my usb cable was loose or something (seems loose when plugged into wall charger).  Anyway, it seemed to go well until the end and it appeared the last two steps failed (I think due to the usb...or the fact the computer was trying to find an EasyTether connection on the phone.  I've used EasyTether free with this laptop and a different smart phone.) 

Anyway, now I can't get my Settings app to open on the S3...it acts like it will, but then quickly disappears.  I have found a better usb/charger cord, and I'm wondering if I retry this root again (on a different computer), do you think that will resolve the problem?  Other apps that also won't open since failed root are FB, Snapchat, possibly others.  Other than that the phone is usable.  (Could the failed root even caused the problem?)  Do you know of something else I should do before trying the root again? (Can't get to factory reset because I can't get into the settings.)  Is there a way to do a reset using a usb/computer connection?

TIA for any assistance or suggestions.

Cyber Warrior #35

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 8:49 PM

You can run the tool a second time.. no harm will be done.

If that doesn't fix it.. See if you can get into Recovery. With the phone powered off and unplugged.. Hold down Volume Up + Home Button + Power button simultaneously together and hold for a few seconds until the recovery screen pops up.. From there you can reset/wipe the phone back to new.

If that doesn't work.. You might have to use ODIN and the phones Download Mode. Let me know if the above works first before I explain that one.

So you can't get into the phones settings whatsoever? Even rebooting the phone? Or a battery pull?

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #36

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 8:49 PM

A lot of things could have gone wrong if your USB connection was lost during the process. I would recommend going through the procedure below and then reroot it again.

Returning a Verizon Galaxy S3 to Stock.
  • Cyber Warrior likes this

Cyber Warrior #37

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 8:50 PM

Oh, and I've never heard of a failed root to cause those problems.. but there's a first for everything.. Very strange though.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #38

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 8:53 PM

Oh, and I've never heard of a failed root to cause those problems.. but there's a first for everything.. Very strange though.

It's not that unusual considering an exploit is being executed and the entire recovery partition is being replaced.

Noobie2086 #39

Noobie2086
  • 5 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 8:58 PM

Yes, even after the rebootand battery pull...

Thanks I'll try these things and come back with results! (It may be tomorrow night!)

Cyber Warrior #40

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

It's not that unusual considering an exploit is being executed and the entire recovery partition is being replaced.

Yeah, I was just thinking that after I hit submit lol. Usually if you interfere with the process (unplug usb).. The whole thing aborts possibly soft bricking you. I never heard of it messing with only a few apps. You're the expert though ;)

tacsig513.png

Noobie2086 #41

Noobie2086
  • 5 posts

Yes, even after the rebootand battery pull...

Thanks I'll try these things and come back with results! (It may be tomorrow night!)

Noobie2086 #42

Noobie2086
  • 5 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 9:11 PM

I think it must have been the combination of the loose usb and that EasyTether tries to connect anytime it detects a smartphone.  I'm charging GS3 to 100% before I go any further on trying the fixes.

Thanks for your help Guys, I will let you know what happens!

Cory Streater #43

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 11:05 PM

EasyTether tries to connect anytime it detects a smartphone

I definitely agree with this. Good luck and keep us posted!

Noobie2086 #44

Noobie2086
  • 5 posts

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 10:22 PM

Cory and Cyber Warrior,

Thanks so much for your help.  I actually didn't have to do a reset; it seemed to be a combination of usage controls set onthe phone (verizon account) and another app that was running that couldn't do anything because of the usage control settings. So I updated the usage controls, reinstalled the other app, and things seem to be working fine.  (I can get back into the Settings, and the apps that wouldn't work.) I think I will hold off on rooting for now, though now that I have the better "fitting" USB/charger, I shouldn't have a problem when I'm ready!

Cyber Warrior #45

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 10:39 PM

Glad to hear :) .. So usage controls, kind of like a parental lock I'm assuming? I'll have to remember that for the next time.

Thanks for the update... see you around.

tacsig513.png

onduty #46

onduty
  • 6 posts

Posted Nov 6 '13 @ 7:54 PM

Cory,

I followed the instructions on the page and was able to root my device.  However, like Lou TWRP was not installed with this process.  I still have the stock Samsung recovery.  I tried GooManager from the play store and I always get "No recoveries were found."  So I could not install TWRP.  Still on the stock recovery at this point.

My plan is to install the latest stable CM10 rom.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

S3 Verizon SCH-I535

Samsung S3 SCH-I535 Rooted (stock rom)

Cyber Warrior #47

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 6 '13 @ 9:31 PM

While you wait for a response from Cory... I'm searching around for answers and seeing a lot of complaints the same as yours.. possibly due to the app having difficulty connecting to the servers. You can keep trying and hope it connects or you can manually flash TWRP through Odin... using the tar file provided here:http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/102
Guide to Odin:http://forums.theand...ow-to-use-odin/

Another alternative is to use CWM Recovery instead:http://forums.theand...r-cwm-recovery/
While I hear good things about TWRP, I've had issues with it in the past so I've stuck to using what I know best.. and that's CWM. One day if I can get TWRP fully functional, I'd like to try it though.

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #48

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 3:57 PM

Do we have an unlock guide for this yet?

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

onduty #49

onduty
  • 6 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 6:44 AM

Re-ran the rooting method from this posting and still no custom recovery. :(  

I will try out CWM through ODIN. Saw some issues online for both TRWP and CWM.  What version is recommended for my SCH-I535 Verizon G3?

Cyber Warrior #50

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 8:14 AM

Odin is for TWRP (if you can't get it working through GooManager).

CWM is through the app ROM Manager.. The same way GooManager flashes the TWRP.. ROM Manager installs the ClockworkMod (CWM) custom recovery.

Info for obtaining TWRP/Odin and CWW/ROM Manager are both in the last links that I previously attached above. ROM Manager will automatically install the latest version of CWM for you, just follow the beginning of that guide for using ROM Manager.. The first few steps cover installing CWM, the rest of the guide is for flashing ROMs, Mods, etc..

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #51

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 8:19 AM

If you want TWRP through Odin.. you need this .tar file:http://techerrata.co...6.3.0-d2vzw.tar
It's the newest/last one on the page of the link from above (2.6.3.0-d2vzw.tar). Follow the guide for using Odin to flash the file.

tacsig513.png

onduty #52

onduty
  • 6 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 12:51 PM

Attempted to Install CWM using (ODIN 3.09 and CWM Touch) and ODIN application showed Pass.  After reboot I went into the recovery and I still have the stock recovery.  I am so confused...  

FYI, I checked out Rom Manager via the Playstore download.  The author suggested I look on XDA site for specific instructions for installing CWM on a Samsung device before using it.  Hence, I chose to use ODIN for the install.

onduty #53

onduty
  • 6 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 12:54 PM

From ODIN:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> VRBLK3_Bootchain_CWM.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/004> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/004> tz.mbn
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> RES OK !!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Remain Port ....  0 
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0

Cyber Warrior #54

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 1:19 PM

It sounds like your bootloader is still locked. Did you follow any instructions/guides for unlocking the bootloader? Or did you only root the phone? If not I can provide you with instructions for unlocking the bootloader.

tacsig513.png

onduty #55

onduty
  • 6 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 2:14 PM

The one click in this thread was used twice.  I read that this one click unlocks the bootloader.  I also noticed that the Samsung logo flashes for 1/2 second (supposedly an indication it was unlocked).  My thinking is there is something on my Verizon phone that forces the S3 recovery to boot each time.  Is that crazy talk? 

I will take what you have for the bootloader unlock instructions.  Are there any issues running an unlocker several times on a device?

Cyber Warrior #56

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 2:41 PM

Ah okay, you're right.. this tool does unlock the bootloader. If you boot into recovery, the status should say unlocked or locked. I'm not really sure what the issue is then. I'll see if I can think of any other solutions/troubleshooting without having to flash back to the stock image and starting over... If I find or think of anything I'll get back to you.. Or maybe someone else will pop up with some idea of what's going on.. it's very strange.

tacsig513.png

onduty #57

onduty
  • 6 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 5:54 PM

*CWM SOLVED*

My download mode showed "Qualcomm SecureRom = enabled".  Not sure if that was the culprit or not but I finally figured it out.  Seems as though the custom recoveries were installing but my phone would default (or overwrite) back to the S3 stock recovery.  What it tried through a process of elimination was to avoid rebooting the phone after ODIN flashed ClockWorkMod (CWM).  I unchecked the auto-reboot option and went right to manually pressing the recovery mode sequence (Volume Up + Home Button + Power Button).  

Once I did that CWM showed.  I found inside CWM that when I selected reboot it asked me to fix the phone so the stock recovery would not take over.  I chose yes to fix that along with fixing root.  After the reboot CWM stayed on the phone.

Now I need to research how to correct my custom rom install counter since it shows 2 or 3 now.

Cyber Warrior #58

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 6:10 PM

Cool glad you figured it out. Triangle Away will reset the flash counter. It's a paid app but I believe Chainfire also offers it for free. I think we actually have the links posted here on the site somewhere. Here's the paid version :https://play.google....re.triangleaway

Let me see if I can find the link for the free version.

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #59

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 6:15 PM

Here, right after the first step #8 in the guide you'll find the links for Triangle Away.. both paid and free.
http://forums.theand...-stock-412-rom/

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #60

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 21 '13 @ 1:20 PM

Well.. I'm sure Eric will be glad to hear this..

I successfully re-rooted using this tool and, like others mentioned here, I never got a recovery screen. Followed onduty's advice and reflashed TWRP using Odin (no auto boot) and the tar link above. got into TWRP.. backed up everything (BTW.. would it have killed anyone to mention somewhere that TWRP has a black-out screen saver?? my heart stopped!) and rebooted per it's exit process. started up normal... rebooted to recovery... and TWRP was there. Never had to "fix" the boot.

On to another ROM!!!!

Updated by Gman650, Dec 23 '13 @ 6:34 AM.