• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #2

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 3:57 PM

Ok help me out is this good, bad, or indifferent?

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 4:15 PM

Its not the more powerful Snapdragon 800 which I believe only powers quad core devices but its one of the newer chips announced from this year so it "is" a good thing, so far the Sony Xperia Z Ultra is the only device with the S800.

Info on devices using Qualcomm's chips: qualcomm.com

The Galaxy S4, HTC One and LG Optimus G Pro all use the S600 chip that the Moto X is believed to have. The older chip from last year, S4 Pro, is used in devices like the Nexus 4, Optimus G, Xperia Z and Droid DNA.

Here's some info on the chips when they were announced at CES this year: 

The Qualcomm Snapdragon S800 and S600 mobile chips have been announced at the CES 2013. Both chips are a step above the S4 Pro and offer amazing performance. The S800 plans to offer some serious performance over what has been released before. By moving to a 28nm manufacturing process, the Krait 400 quadcore can run at speeds of up to 2.3GHz.

Power savings with the new 28nm mean that the new chip will run faster and use less power than before. A new Adreno 330 GPU will be used. It is said that the Adreno 330 GPU will offer twice the performance of the previous Adreno 320.

800MHz DDR3 memory is also supported which has a bandwidth of 12.8GB/s. Overall performance improvement of the Qualcomm Snapdragon S800 over the S4 Pro is said to be 75 percent. This is just amazing, and mobile phones will make use of this chip later in the year.

Ultra HD or 4K quality video can be handled by the S800 which is just amazing. The S600 is not so powerful, but it still offers up to 1.9GHz quadcore performance, combined with an older Adreno 320 GPU.

Other amazing features is 4G LTE with speeds of up to 150Mbps, 4G LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation, USB 3.0 and 802.11ac. There is just so much on offer, it will seem that mobile phones will soon be just as powerful as everyday computers.

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 5:58 PM

I'm definitely not a benchmarking whore, but I have to say I find it extremely disappointing that Moto/Google has chosen a "me too" technology in their flagship phone.

The differences between the Qualcomm 600 and Qualcomm 800 are significant, and not just in benchmarking scores. USB 3.0, pixel density, the camera, and power management are much better on the 800. By Christmas, there will be another phone out there that eats this phone for breakfast.  

Qualcomm announced back in January that "the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processors are currently sampling and expected to be available in commercial devices by mid-year 2013."

So, if it's not on the Moto X, I will wait and see what comes next 3 months later.

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 6:18 PM

Hey if the phone is really $200-$300 off contract, thats not a bad deal.. I'll take it. ..but yea you're right, the phone will look outdated quickly in terms of hardware. BUT.. will make a great backup device so I can get rid of my Thunderbolt :P Grab the Moto X and if nothing else catches my interest by the end of the year.. keep it.. otherwise just re-sell it for whatever is better at the end of the year. But having to buy phones off contract just in order to keep my unlimited data on Verizon, this is looking sweet. If Google can drop a phone with LTE support and cheap like the N4, I'm all over that but I can't see Verizon letting that happen.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 6:32 PM

will make a great backup device so I can get rid of my Thunderbolt

I'm surprised you still have it. Mine literally rotted just sitting in my drawer unused. 

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 14 '13 @ 8:10 PM

will make a great backup device so I can get rid of my Thunderbolt

I'm surprised you still have it. Mine literally rotted just sitting in my drawer unused. 

Don't ask me how but mine is in mint condition like it just came out of the box.. I may hold onto it for another 30 yrs as a collectors item.. Hey Kids! back in my day this was the first 4G LTE phone.  ^_^

tacsig513.png

N3xs #8

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 7:58 AM

I'm confused because everyone is confirming that it is a Snapdragon S4 Pro right after posting that first video that shows it's an S600...

Will there be different models? ... maybe a GPE with the S4 Pro at $299 and a carrier version with an S600 for $599 off contract? ...

I hope not    O_o

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 8:43 AM

I dont know, but I just read about 60 comments of bitching about the S4 Pro based off a screen shot which can easily be faked.. yet theres a video right up above showing that it falls in between the S600 mark. O_o

Its all a guessing game right now, which I dont mind, it adds to the excitement. Id love to see something amazing come out and watch everyone bite their tongue but if it is mid range, old hardware, etc.. so be it.. It wont ruin my day, either like the phone for what it is or wait for something better.

I mean its all speculation and based off interpretation of a few words but I remember reading that Woodside said the Moto X was a brand and would have a line up of phones... something to that affect. So who knows, maybe there 'will' be more than one Moto X. Motorola does it with their Droid line up, Samsung has its Mega and Mini versions, HTC now has a mini version.
  • N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #10

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 8:52 AM

They also emphasized that the device would be affordable and was to go up against the iPhone and Galaxy phones, so that right there tells you that they're targeting sales and not the geeks who look at the internal specs.. and one way to do that is with cheaper hardware, which Google always seems to do anyways.. their phones have always been more about the software.

tacsig513.png

N3xs #11

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 10:56 AM

Yea, in the end, what I care about is real world performance... and price!

I'm getting a little concerned about the "always on" feature... It seems like a huge challenge to combine that with great battery life... 

It's just hard for me to understand why people complain about a phone that has not even been announced yet...

I'm still very hopeful for a great device, and stoked every time I hear about new leaks and updates... 

N3xs #12

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 11:09 AM

Also, the video shows a dual core MSM8960 clocked at 1.7Ghz which is not a Snapdragon S4 Pro but a Snapdragon S4 Plus:

http://cpuboss.com/c...-Plus-(MSM8960)

People are gonna be even more disappointed lol

UPDATE: after a little more research, I found out that the MSM8960 with the Adreno 320 GPU is in fact the Snapdragon S4 Pro according to this passage I found on Anandtech: "Adreno 320 makes its premier with this SoC, later to be followed by a S4 Pro version of the MSM8960 featuring the same GPU."

Here is the full article: http://www.anandtech...-and-adreno-320

Updated by N3xs, Jul 15 '13 @ 11:17 AM.

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #13

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 4:55 PM

Quite a sleuth you are lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

N3xs #14

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Jul 15 '13 @ 5:51 PM

Quite a sleuth you are lolSent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not so much of a "sleuth" if I get it wrong lol as Cory pointed it out, it's the MSM8960dt which is a new S600 variant apparently