Traditional/Wet Shaving?

Started by dmmarck ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Jerrod #61

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 2 '13 @ 5:20 AM

I'm going to take the plunge Or maybe that's take the nicks.  Currently using the Gillette pro glide fusion system.  The blade cartridges are good for about 3 shaves and a pack of 4 costs about $16 and that's at a rite Aid store with a discount card.

Thinking about getting the Merkur Futur razor.  I like it because it has an adjustable blade.  I saw it at the Art of Shaving Store but i thought it was expensive, then I've seen it online cheaper but with shipping ( and then I have to wait around the house for it to be delivered) it seems to come out almost the same.

Does anyone have an experience with this razor?

Anyone know of a good system to heal nicks and cuts cause I guess I'm going to have them in the beginning?

Is there any truth to what I am reading about a badger hair shaving brush being the best?

• dmmarck likes this

Jessesmith888 #62

Jessesmith888
  • 98 posts

Posted Sep 2 '13 @ 5:10 PM

I actually had less nicks, almost no nicks when I first started and now after shave hardly burns.

Check the reviews on amazon for things you want to try. Lots of great info there.

Sent from my Nexus 4

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #63

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Sep 3 '13 @ 5:00 PM

I actually had less nicks, almost no nicks when I first started and now after shave hardly burns.

Check the reviews on amazon for things you want to try. Lots of great info there.

Sent from my Nexus 4

What what?  Futur?  It's a great, modern implementation of the standard DE.  I'd get them but right now I'm a straight razor guy.

For brushes, the general rule of thumb: badger = soft, boar = stiff.  I know folks who use boar for really hard soaps (you lather buy wetting the brush, swirling on the soap, and lathering direct to the face or palm) and who use badger for creams.  Right now, the weakest part of my rotation is my $10 (if that) badger brush.  I need to upgrade that sooner than later...

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Jerrod #64

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 6 '13 @ 1:01 PM

I am on day four with using the Merkur Futur razor.  The razor came with a Merkur blade but I am going to buy the variety pak I saw mentioned in this thread so I can try different blades.

Day One

I had a two day growth of beard.  I was so afraid of using this thing and cutting my face up. First of all I dropped the blade on my wooden floor and couldn't pick it up. After a bit I got it and loaded it into the shaver.  I lathered up and began sliding the thing down my face.  Like I said I was just scared...when I finished some of the beard was removed but much still remained.  At that point I was a nervous wreck and decided to try again the next day.  Later I watched some vids of wet shaving and got the idea that I was not holding the razor at the proper angle.

Day Two     

Did better this day.  I think I held the razor at a better angle and the shave when very well.  Near the end I got too confident and I think I started moving to fast...I ended up with 3 nicks.  I use a styptic pencil and that solved the nicks.

Day Three and Four

I am getting a little better each day no cuts today, and I have to say the shave is better than what I was getting with the cartridge razors but more depends on how I am using this razor.

Some questions:

This is a double edge blade so two sides are sticking out.  Is it that you use the other side after you have used up the first side?  

This is an adjustable razor and I am using it on 1 1/2, but there are ten more setting to use.  Each higher setting exposes more blade. As the blade gets worn, do you move up to a higher setting to get a that part of the blade or do you just toss the thing and put in another?

How many shaves do you make before you change blades?

------------------

And Corey:  Yes I DO have soft skin.  I've been told that I have soft skin, but hard muscle under it....so.....just say'n

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #65

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Sep 6 '13 @ 1:12 PM

I am on day four with using the Merkur Futur razor.  The razor came with a Merkur blade but I am going to buy the variety pak I saw mentioned in this thread so I can try different blades.

Day One

I had a two day growth of beard.  I was so afraid of using this thing and cutting my face up. First of all I dropped the blade on my wooden floor and couldn't pick it up. After a bit I got it and loaded it into the shaver.  I lathered up and began sliding the thing down my face.  Like I said I was just scared...when I finished some of the beard was removed but much still remained.  At that point I was a nervous wreck and decided to try again the next day.  Later I watched some vids of wet shaving and got the idea that I was not holding the razor at the proper angle.

Day Two     

Did better this day.  I think I held the razor at a better angle and the shave when very well.  Near the end I got too confident and I think I started moving to fast...I ended up with 3 nicks.  I use a styptic pencil and that solved the nicks.

Day Three and Four

I am getting a little better each day no cuts today, and I have to say the shave is better than what I was getting with the cartridge razors but more depends on how I am using this razor.

Some questions:

This is a double edge blade so two sides are sticking out.  Is it that you use the other side after you have used up the first side?  

This is an adjustable razor and I am using it on 1 1/2, but there are ten more setting to use.  Each higher setting exposes more blade. As the blade gets worn, do you move up to a higher setting to get a that part of the blade or do you just toss the thing and put in another?

------------------

And Corey:  Yes I DO have soft skin.  I've been told that I have soft skin, but hard muscle under it....so.....just say'n

Generally, I give a blade a solid 5 days of shaves.  NOW...if they are 5 days with each shave being a week's worth of stubble...well, then I accelerate changing it.

As far as angles, the best trick I learned was to start using a straight razor.  It taught me angles really, really quickly.

That being said, I used my Edwin Jagger the other day and got a bit too close on the neckline.  Hurts like hell.  I guess after using a straight for 3-4 months straight it's a bit hard to transition back smoothly.  That and I was rushing.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #66

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 6 '13 @ 1:41 PM

Day One

Day Two     

Day Three and Four

Some questions:

------------------

Generally, I give a blade a solid 5 days of shaves.  NOW...if they are 5 days with each shave being a week's worth of stubble...well, then I accelerate changing it.

As far as angles, the best trick I learned was to start using a straight razor.  It taught me angles really, really quickly.

That being said, I used my Edwin Jagger the other day and got a bit too close on the neckline.  Hurts like hell.  I guess after using a straight for 3-4 months straight it's a bit hard to transition back smoothly.  That and I was rushing.

Good lord man....I ain't trying your trick...Not yet.....haven't even got this down right.

dmmarck #67

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Sep 6 '13 @ 1:43 PM

I am on day four with using the Merkur Futur razor. The razor came with a Merkur blade but I am going to buy the variety pak I saw mentioned in this thread so I can try different blades.

Day One

I had a two day growth of beard. I was so afraid of using this thing and cutting my face up. First of all I dropped the blade on my wooden floor and couldn't pick it up. After a bit I got it and loaded it into the shaver. I lathered up and began sliding the thing down my face. Like I said I was just scared...when I finished some of the beard was removed but much still remained. At that point I was a nervous wreck and decided to try again the next day. Later I watched some vids of wet shaving and got the idea that I was not holding the razor at the proper angle.

Day Two

Did better this day. I think I held the razor at a better angle and the shave when very well. Near the end I got too confident and I think I started moving to fast...I ended up with 3 nicks. I use a styptic pencil and that solved the nicks.

Day Three and Four

Some questions:

This is a double edge blade so two sides are sticking out. Is it that you use the other side after you have used up the first side?

This is an adjustable razor and I am using it on 1 1/2, but there are ten more setting to use. Each higher setting exposes more blade. As the blade gets worn, do you move up to a higher setting to get a that part of the blade or do you just toss the thing and put in another?

How many shaves do you make before you change blades?

------------------

And Corey: Yes I DO have soft skin. I've been told that I have soft skin, but hard muscle under it....so.....just say'n

Generally, I give a blade a solid 5 days of shaves. NOW...if they are 5 days with each shave being a week's worth of stubble...well, then I accelerate changing it.

As far as angles, the best trick I learned was to start using a straight razor. It taught me angles really, really quickly.

That being said, I used my Edwin Jagger the other day and got a bit too close on the neckline. Hurts like hell. I guess after using a straight for 3-4 months straight it's a bit hard to transition back smoothly. That and I was rushing.

Good lord man....I ain't trying your trick...Not yet.....haven't even got this down right.

I waited about 6 months myself. The thing is, it teaches you how to angle, stretch your skin, etc. While that stuff is less necessary for unaggressive razors, it certainly imbues proper mindsets and techniques that I otherwise would have ignored with just my safeties.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #68

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 16 '13 @ 12:13 PM

Ok so it's been what 2 weeks and now I am worried. My face is so smooth I can't keep my hands off of it. Every 5 minutes I find myself stroking it.

My razor sampler pac was delivered just now. It contains blue Bird, Gillett 7 o'clock and silver Blue,Derby,feather and shark. Whats your opinion of these?

dmmarck #69

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Sep 18 '13 @ 4:47 AM

Ok so it's been what 2 weeks and now I am worried. My face is so smooth I can't keep my hands off of it. Every 5 minutes I find myself stroking it.

My razor sampler pac was delivered just now. It contains blue Bird, Gillett 7 o'clock and silver Blue,Derby,feather and shark. Whats your opinion of these?

Feather is my go to. But each face is unique, so I suggest trying one from each.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #70

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 18 '13 @ 11:01 AM

Ok I will try that one next.  Yesterday I had my first um major cut.  I washed my face, lathered up, reached down to do something not related to shaving and my little finger slid across the blade.

I never have the razor this close to me while not using it, so I can't figure out what I was thinking.  I wrapped about 4 band aids around my finger.  These got soaked so I put another 4 around it. Went to the gym, but I wore gloves the entire time so I wouldn't freak anyone out.  Talk about being an idiot!   Today my hand bumped into the wall and the entire thing is open again....another 4 band aids.....This will never happen again.  But my face is baby smooth.  

So glad I moved in this direction!  and it's CHEAP maintenance. 

Jerrod #71

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 8:55 AM

Its been about 2 months now and I am still using the variety pack of blades. I think my favorites are the Derby and Feather, these seem to give a close shave with less nicks. The merkur blades that came with the razor seem to be the worst for me.
  • dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #72

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 9:39 AM

Its been about 2 months now and I am still using the variety pack of blades. I think my favorites are the Derby and Feather, these seem to give a close shave with less nicks. The merkur blades that came with the razor seem to be the worst for me.

I'm a big fan of Feather, Bic, and the Gillette blades.  Derby...depends on the razor.

tacsig513.png