• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 2:52 PM

Introducing the DROID ULTRA, DROID MAXX and DROID MINI

Verizon and Motorola unveiled the refreshed Droid smartphone line at an event in New York City today. The three new devices focus on three different concepts: Thinness, battery life, and compactness.

droid-trio.jpg

While introducing the new smartphones, Rick Osterloch, Motorola Mobility's senior vice president of product management, emphasized that all three have significant upgrades over the last generation of Droid devices. He listed off a 24 percent faster CPU, a 100 percent faster GPU, and twice the RAM. All three have 2-megapixel cameras in the front and 10-megapixel cameras in the back. 

The phones are being driven by a unique new octo-core processor, dubbed the Motorola X8 mobile computing system. The X8 splits processing power between GPU, application, contextual computing, and natural language processing. According to Motorola, the core split gives four cores to the GPU and two cores to application processing, leaving one for context and the other for listening and understanding you as you talk. As a result, the new Droid lineup features always listening command systems and a refreshed UI that very closely resembles the current Moto UI to handle the experience.

The new Droid phones will feature the voice control system seen recently in the Moto X video leaks, where you can wake the phone and give commands without ever having to touch the phone. The phone personalizes its responses to you, and in the demo the phone was aware of the name of the user. Also included from the Moto X leak is the active notification display, which only lights up a portion of the display with a simple notification as opposed to using a notification light to show you what you are missing on your phone. The new Droid lineup will also come with a quick capture feature that takes photos instantly, as well as a sharing tool labeled Droid Zap to push photos to friends nearby.

So, what is the difference between the three phones? Mostly screen and battery size. 

The new Droid Ultra will be priced at $199. It will focus on thinness. It's a thin, tall, beast of a phone with which will be available in red or black with a 5" display. It has a 1.7 GHz dual-core processor with quad-core graphics, 2 GB of RAM, and 16 GB of storage. Unlike the MAXX and Mini, the Ultra does not support wireless charging most likely due to its thinness.

The new Droid MAXX also sports a 5" display and will be priced at $299 with its focus being on battery life (3500mAh). It is 9 percent thinner than last year's Droid MAXX model, measuring in at 8.5 millimeters. It has a 1.7 GHz dual-core processor with quad-core graphics, 2 GB of RAM, and 32 GB of storage. According to its spec sheet, it will handle up to 48 hours of use on a single charge.

The Droid Mini is priced at $99 and is "compact without compromise," the folks from Motorola explain. It has a 4.3-inch display and sits in one's hand as comfortably as an iPhone (which will make Android users who favor the smaller footprint quite happy, even if it isn't quite as slender). It has a 1.7 GHz dual-core processor with quad-core graphics 2 GB of RAM, and 16 GB of storage.

All the phones are available with Verizon LTE, are made out of a Kevlar fiber material and have a water-repellant coating.

All the phones are available today for pre-order, but won't ship until August. The Droid Ultra and Maxx will be out on August 20 and the Mini on August 29.

• Cory Streater and Johnny5 like this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 6:36 PM

Why would I choose the Moto X over one of these? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 6:38 PM

Thats what Im thinking, why were these specs not put into the Moto X. Its got the same features.

Octacore? O_o I wonder what thats going to be like.

tacsig513.png

krobin350 #4

krobin350
  • 1 posts

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 6:50 PM

off contract pricing will be the only advantage to the moto x, if the rumors hold up. other than that moto x specs dont even come close. and the Droids have the same features.

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 7:07 PM

off contract pricing will be the only advantage to the moto x, if the rumors hold up. other than that moto x specs dont even come close. and the Droids have the same features.

Thats true.. this is going to be interesting. Im almost tempted by one of these phones, even over the Moto X.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 7:56 PM

Support is probably something to consider as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Droid line is getting killed after this round, and Moto/Google will be focusing all efforts on the Moto X, and phones to follow. If that’s the case, I wouldn't expect many updates to come out, especially major updates like KLP.

P.S. Welcome krobin350!

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jul 23 '13 @ 8:20 PM

The Moto X won't replace the Droid line.. Droid is specific to Verizon only, to where the Moto X is on multiple carriers, although Im hearing TMobile might be out of the loop because of the Nexus 4 contract?

If anything I would think it would replace the Nexus, why wouldn't Google just make a Nexus 5 using Motorola? And they call it the Moto X, with the X being exactly what Nexus uses as a brandmark. Im waiting for someone to come out and explain exactly what the hell is going on and what is the game plan.

Why are there Nexus Experience devices? Why didnt Motorola/Google make a Nexus 5? Will there be a Nexus 5? What the hell is the Moto X lol? Why not make a skinned Moto X and offer a Google Experience Moto X? I want answers damnit! :P

Id love to hear everyones thoughts on this.

tacsig513.png

Lee Bo #8

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 4:45 AM

I think this is a great partnership between VZW and Motorola.  I've had a number of Moto devices with Verizon and they have all been great.  My last one was the Bionic which my son has now.

I do wonder if it will become increasingly harder to unlock/root VZW phones. 

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Lee Bo #9

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 4:51 AM

The new Droid phones will feature the voice control system seen recently in the Moto X video leaks, where you can wake the phone and give commands without ever having to touch the phone.

Does 2001: A Space Odyssey ring a bell?

"Good morning, Dave.  Time to wake up."

Twitter: @Android_Lee

nitroX #10

nitroX
  • 33 posts

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 5:42 AM

One thing that worries me about these phones compared to the Moto X are the updates, especially with Key lime pie on its way.

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 5:48 AM

Why would I choose the Moto X over one any of these? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

FTFY

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

7stringer #12

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 7:26 AM

Why even make the Ultra? It's a waste of hardware. 

Make the Maxx the hardware, call it the ultra, and offer 16gb and 32gb options. Then you have THE BEST battery life phone in the android lineup out there, not "well, one is really good, which by no direct logic but poor assumption means the other is going to offer poor battery life." 

I have the Rickets! 

Christopher Coleman #13

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 7:49 AM

@dmmarck, No.

I disagree...some people consider how their device looks to be the most important deciding factor when buying.  No reason not to try and please everyone if they can, the Ultra will still have great battery life, I have no doubt about that.

Personally, I'd love to own the Maxx.  Won't be joining Verizon any time soon though.

• dmmarck likes this

7stringer #14

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jul 24 '13 @ 8:47 AM

@dmmarck, No.

I disagree...some people consider how their device looks to be the most important deciding factor when buying. No reason not to try and please everyone if they can, the Ultra will still have great battery life, I have no doubt about that.

Personally, I'd love to own the Maxx. Won't be joining Verizon any time soon though.

I guess my point is more or less: had they just made the maxx as the ultra, it's not like you'd hear people say, "dang, I wish this thing was 1mm thinner, glossy, and had shittier battery life." Though I guess it allows for the perceived premium.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have the Rickets! 

Jerrod #15

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 1:07 PM

Why would I choose the Moto X over one of these? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I thought the same thing until I realized that if it is a Droid it will come with a ton of Verizon value added apps that I don't want.  It will also come with a locked bootloader and it will be tightly encrypted so you can't jail break it.  It will also take Verizon 3 or 4 months to test any new version of Android they may be inclined to upgrade the phone to. 

I like the idea of this octo core processor so perhaps there may be a place for it in a future Moto X.   

Android 4.3 has been released and while my Nexus 7 tablet will receive it in a few days, my Verizon Galaxy Nexus will probably never get a taste of it - at least not OTA from Verizon, so I am getting sick of them and really thinking of switching to AT&T when my contract expires this December especially if I can get the Moto X or a Nexus phone with LTE.   It would be really something if the Motox provides as good as experience as these phones while having less hardware intensive specs.  As nice as these phones look and sound, I'm hold'n off.

Jerrod #16

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 10:51 PM

The Moto X won't replace the Droid line.. Droid is specific to Verizon only, to where the Moto X is on multiple carriers, although Im hearing TMobile might be out of the loop because of the Nexus 4 contract?

If anything I would think it would replace the Nexus, why wouldn't Google just make a Nexus 5 using Motorola? And they call it the Moto X, with the X being exactly what Nexus uses as a brandmark. Im waiting for someone to come out and explain exactly what the hell is going on and what is the game plan.

Why are there Nexus Experience devices? Why didnt Motorola/Google make a Nexus 5? Will there be a Nexus 5? What the hell is the Moto X lol? Why not make a skinned Moto X and offer a Google Experience Moto X? I want answers damnit! :P

Id love to hear everyones thoughts on this.

When Google acquired Moto they said that it was a separate company and would not receive preferential treatment.  Of course now we see Eric schmidt walking around with the phone before it is released.   I think  Google was is trying to stay true to their statement at least for this year.  I also think that the Nexus Experience devices gives the OEMs a chance to sell their devices through the play store which will make it easier for Google to sell a Moto phone through the store also.  Hey they are treating all of these guys the same right?

Perhaps this year LG  or HTC will make the next Nexus and then next year Moto will.  My wish is that  this year Moto makes the next Nexus and it is using Moto's specs that are found in the droids except that it is a quad core with a quad core GPU.  Of course battery life may not be as good with this configuration