Photo

Samsung said to make the next Nexus 10, coming in 'the near future'

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 12:30 PM

Google's Sundar Pichai tells the Wall Street Journal there will be a new Samsung Nexus 10

Sundar Pichai, the same Googler we had breakfast with yesterday in San Francisco, has reportedly given the Wall Street Journal's Amir Efrati a couple tidbits about the next generation Nexus 10 -- the who and the when.

Samsung apparently will continue to be the manufacturer of the Nexus 10. Much like how Google decided to stick with Asus through two versions of their Nexus 7, it appears the same will be true with their 10-inch tablet.

Efrati tweeted that we will see the new Nexus 10 "in the near future." If Google decides to follow the same release strategy with their 10-inch tablet as they have with their 7-inch tablet (which had a product cycle of about a year), it would mean a release date around November.

Perhaps they will invite us to lunch this time?

https://twitter.com/...089603434229760

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 4:17 PM

According to Russell Holly at Geek.com, it looks like ASUS is making it.

I guess this is a screenshot from a BestBuy ordering system.

nexus10_proof-590x331.jpg

Source: Geek.com

Photopaul65 #3

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 3:45 AM

Having owned a Nexus 7 since it's initial launch (just recently sold my Gen 1), I've always wanted to be an "all Nexus" guy, and now Google, you're starting to give me hope!

I really wanted to like the Sammy Nexus 10, but there was just something about it that didn't click with me. The shape, the feel, the slightly washed out screen. I dunno, the resolution was amazing, but it just didn't feel worth $400. Not a Sammy hater, but also not a fan of their build quality and questionable component choices.

Since I'm a Verizon victim, I never had the option to own the Nexus 4, but even if I did I wouldn't have purchased one. I won't go into great detail, I'll just say I don't support companies that don't support their customers.

I was really disappointed with all the leaks up til now pointing to Samsung and LG again for the next generation, so, to say that I'm very exited over the rumors of Asus and Motorola joining the Nexus fold is a giant understatement! 

• wyndslash likes this

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 6:03 AM

Not an Asus hater, but one can question 'their' build quality. The first generation was plagued with screen lift issues and I haven't read into the second generation yet, but looks like Cory may have an issue and I believe Dylan returned his 7 times before he found a good one ;)
I don't remember hearing about any Nexus 10 build quality issues.. However, they also didn't sell as many as they sold N7's so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 9:21 AM

looks like Cory may have an issue

No issues here.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to me why they would choose to different manufactures.

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 4:12 PM

Honestly, Samsung's build quality with the N10 is top-notch IMO. Feels amazing to hold, and honestly I'm disappointed Samsung isn't making the 2013 version they did really well with the first one. And I don't see the screen being washed out at all, more like the best display I've seen on any mobile device ever.

Not a complete fanboy, but after almost a year of having this thing, I know a thing or two. ;)

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 7:03 PM

looks like Cory may have an issue

No issues here.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to me why they would choose to different manufactures.

What ever happened with your non charging issues? Is it fixed now?

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 7:05 PM

Honestly, Samsung's build quality with the N10 is top-notch IMO. Feels amazing to hold, and honestly I'm disappointed Samsung isn't making the 2013 version they did really well with the first one. And I don't see the screen being washed out at all, more like the best display I've seen on any mobile device ever.

Not a complete fanboy, but after almost a year of having this thing, I know a thing or two. ;)

Agree.. There's no touching the Nexus 10's screen. Best looking screen of any device out there.

tacsig513.png

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 7:18 PM

Agree.. There's no touching the Nexus 10's screen. Best looking screen of any device out there.

I still get giddy when I watch the Timescapes trailer on it.

Cyber Warrior #10

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 7:25 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I went to the site you linked me to and almost bought the whole thing :) I still might. There's some good behind the scene footage of how he shot the whole thing. Very cool.

tacsig513.png

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 8:53 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I went to the site you linked me to and almost bought the whole thing :) I still might. There's some good behind the scene footage of how he shot the whole thing. Very cool.

As a photographer, I wish I could shoot something like that.

wyndslash #12

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:12 PM

If the new Nexus 10 is orgasmic, I *might* get one for myself, but with my current phablet in hand, I just can't justify the use of a tablet :P

Photopaul65 #13

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:29 PM

To me, a tablet is a different animal altogether. Even when considering beast-sized phones like the Note, they are still too small for some tasks, like long form typing or editing a Google Docs spreadsheet. Tablets are also far superior for media consumption.

I loved my iPad, and if it would have had any sort of a native file management system, I probably would still have it.

wyndslash #14

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:31 PM

That's true...but I still think I would prefer a keyboard for long form typing, although media consumption is another animal altogether.

Updated by wyndslash, Aug 20 '13 @ 6:31 PM.

dmmarck #15

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:38 PM

To me, a tablet is a different animal altogether. Even when considering beast-sized phones like the Note, they are still too small for some tasks, like long form typing or editing a Google Docs spreadsheet. Tablets are also far superior for media consumption.
I loved my iPad, and if it would have had any sort of a native file management system, I probably would still have it.

Honest question: have you been able to use a tablet for productivity purposes? Last time I tried was with an iPad about 3 years ago. It resulted in epic failure. However, apps and hardware have come a long way, hence my wondering.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #16

C Sab
  • 990 posts

This is why I'm getting a bluetooth keyboard for my Nexus 10. Will make writing articles while I'm out much easier.

C Sab #17

C Sab
  • 990 posts

EDIT: Double post.

Updated by C Sab, Aug 20 '13 @ 6:39 PM.