Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 5:53 PM

Taken from Google's Chromcast support page.

Second section, Bullet 3. What do they mean by this? I thought Chromecast was platform agnostic?

Using Chromecast, you can cast movies & TV shows from the Google Play Movies & TV app from your Android phone or tablet to your TV.

To Cast from the Google Play Movies & TV app to your TV:

• From the Google Play Movies & TV app on your Android phone or tablet, select the movie or TV show you want to watch.
  • Press the Cast button in the upper right corner of your video and select your Chromecast from the list of available devices.
  • You will see a notification on your TV that your device is connecting to your Chromecast and the movie or TV show will start to play on your TV.

You may continue to use your Android phone or tablet to perform other tasks while your video is playing. To control your video, select the Cast button from the notification bar at the top of your device. All video functions, such as Play, Pause, Rewind, etc, can be controlled from your phone or tablet as they normally would. To disconnect your device from your Chromecast, select the Cast button and select your phone or tablet.

• Video quality may appear poor for the first few minutes. This is expected and will improve as you watch.
  • You may cast movies and TV shows from the Play Movies & TV app that you have rented or purchased from Google Play. At this time, you cannot cast rentals that have been downloaded to your device.
  • Casting from the Google Play Movies & TV app is not currently available on iOS iPhones, iPads or from your laptop computer.

Note: Chromecast requires Google Play Movies & TV app version 2.6.6 or higher on Android. To update to the latest version, please visit Google Play.

• dmmarck likes this

Lee Bo #2

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 6:12 PM

Casting from the Google Play Movies & TV app is not currently available on iOS iPhones, iPads or from your laptop computer.

With the Google Cast extension I can send any open tab to the Chromecast device........except Netflix.

• Cory Streater likes this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Jerrod #3

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Jul 25 '13 @ 10:29 PM

The instructions say to plug this into your TVs HDMI port.  For my AV setup everything gets plugged into my receiver and its distributes video to the TV and audio to surround speakers.I have the receiver set to upscale all video to 1080P regardless of the input signal.  Is there any information about how Chromecaste will work with receivers?

I guess I just plug it in and it will work?  Anyway for $35 I it's worth a try. 

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 4:10 AM

I saw the answer to that on either twitter or Reddit. Believe it's a yes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 6:33 AM

The instructions say to plug this into your TVs HDMI port.  For my AV setup everything gets plugged into my receiver and its distributes video to the TV and audio to surround speakers.I have the receiver set to upscale all video to 1080P regardless of the input signal.  Is there any information about how Chromecaste will work with receivers?

I'm in the same boat.. I have my cable box and Google TV Revue box hooked up to my AVR. I would think it should work just fine as the TV is going to accept the signal and play everything out the AVR speakers.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 4:19 PM

BTW, if you want to locally stream something...like a video file or whatever...simply drag and drop the item into Chrome's URL bar and cast that tab.  Sorta like how I'm broadcasting an AC/DC MP3 right now.

2013-07-29 20.16.35.jpg

2013-07-29 20.19.06.jpg

• Christopher Coleman and lpt2569 like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Malik Suleman #7

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 28 '15 @ 1:24 AM

yeah agree with you sir