Photo

The Great Nexus 7 Slowdown of 2013: Has Asus/Google Fixed It?

Started by dmmarck ,
Nexus 7 Laggy Snappy Asus Google

• Sign In To Reply:  

Poll: Snappy or laggy? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the 2013 Nexus 7 will remain snappy a year out, or will it suffer the laggish hell currently damning the first generation?

1. Snappy. Asus/Google are smarter than you, and you should know this. They never make the same mistake twice. (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Let's be real, it costs $230 for a reason. Laggy as all hell in 2014. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Who cares, I'll upgrade next year regardless. (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Please Login To Vote:

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 3:51 PM

When the original Nexus 7 arrived at my doorstep I was overjoyed.  See, one of my last remaining tethers to Appledom was my tablet -- a first-generation iPad.  If you've never used an iPad, know this: it's great, sort of.  However, my hands are so small and my will is so fragile and weak that using it bedside was an exercise akin to handling a grizzly with one arm tied behind your back; it just ain't happening, no matter how hard you try.  The Nexus 7 was smaller, lighter, faster, and gave me the Google ecosystem in an entirely new form.  And I loved it.  For a while.  At least 4 months.  Okay, maybe 6 months.

Conveniently, it all came crashing down as 4.2 rolled out.  The Nexus 7 degraded, devolved, and began mimicking the speed and agility of noted powerhouse devices like the HTC Droid Incredible and the OG Droid.  While some temporary fixes are possible, the original Nexus 7 could not escape the fact that Asus/Google skimped in some areas (what up RAM, GPU, and SSD) to keep the prices down.  As a result, it basically died half a year in.

(Let's not talk about the battery, which now lasts as long a rocks glass full of bourbon does when set beside your humble author.)

My question to you, beloved TAC member, is this -- do you think they learned their lesson?  Do you think this new Nexus 7 will have some staying power, that Asus/Google fixed the apparent hardware deficiencies to ensure that the tablet remains useful a year out?  Folks at the Verge have already speculated that the answer is "no" (based upon the ever reliable benchmarks), but really, can we truly forecast a device's staying power the day of its release?

I hope so, but I'm not a gypsy and my forecasting skills are heinous.  But I hope that when the next Nexus 7 comes around I'm a bit less eager to trade up.

We'll see, I suppose.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

lpt2569 #2

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 4:46 PM

If they keep rolling out upgraded Nexus 7 devices under $300, this will be my annual tech upgrade most likely.  I think.  Maybe.

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 4:48 PM

If they keep rolling out upgraded Nexus 7 devices under $300, this will be my annual tech upgrade most likely. I think. Maybe.

I think I'm in the same boat. I just hate knowing it ages rapidly.

We'll see though. More ram and a better cpu/GPU pairing will help. It's up to storage, at least how I see it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• lpt2569 likes this

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #4

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 4:51 PM

If they keep rolling out upgraded Nexus 7 devices under $300, this will be my annual tech upgrade most likely. I think. Maybe.

I think I'm in the same boat. I just hate knowing it ages rapidly.

We'll see though. More ram and a better cpu/GPU pairing will help. It's up to storage, at least how I see it.

My current 2012 N7 has made it this far with almost daily (ab)use from my 4 year old and myself, and only recently began to lag.  I'm guessing the 2013 model will do a little better, like you said, with the better guts inside.

Treknologist #5

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 5:48 PM

I haven't really had to deal with much in the way of lag on my N7, so I'm fine keeping it for now but I am quite tempted to get this one.  I think I'll wait to next year, though.  I may change my mind before then!  Who knows!?

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 6:22 PM

Do you think this new Nexus 7 will have some staying power, that Asus/Google fixed the apparent hardware deficiencies to ensure that the tablet remains useful a year out?  Folks at the Verge have already speculated that the answer is "no" (based upon the ever reliable benchmarks)

That guy shouldn't have even looked at the benchmarking scores, because he seemed delighted aside from that. 

The ONLY tablet of this size that can beat the Nexus 7 is the Sony Xperia Z Ultra with its Snapdragon 800 processor and Adreno 330 GPU. The 800 was just announced early this year, so there's no way it could have made its way into the Nexus 7 release cycle.

One could argue that Google should have gone with the Snapdragon 600 processor, but differences in performance are negligible. In fact, cpuboss declares the S4 Pro the winner, because it outperformed the 600 in browser benchmark scores — a more realistic test of end user experience.

I'm really not sure what Google could have done differently (especially at $230) with the technology that's available to us today.

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 6:36 PM

Do you think this new Nexus 7 will have some staying power, that Asus/Google fixed the apparent hardware deficiencies to ensure that the tablet remains useful a year out?  Folks at the Verge have already speculated that the answer is "no" (based upon the ever reliable benchmarks)

That guy shouldn't have even looked at the benchmarking scores, because he seemed delighted aside from that. 

The ONLY tablet of this size that can beat the Nexus 7 is the Sony Xperia Z Ultra with its Snapdragon 800 processor and Adreno 330 GPU. The 800 was just announced early this year, so there's no way it could have made its way into the Nexus 7 release cycle.

One could argue that Google should have gone with the Snapdragon 600 processor, but differences in performance are negligible. In fact, cpuboss declares the S4 Pro the winner, because it outperformed the 600 in browser benchmark scores — a more realistic test of end user experience.

I'm really not sure what Google could have done differently (especially at $230) with the technology that's available to us today.

Doesn't the Z Ultra also cost obscene sums of money?

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #8

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 26 '13 @ 7:42 PM

It hasn't been released yet, but yes I'm betting it will be upwards of $1k or more.

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 27 '13 @ 4:57 AM

It hasn't been released yet, but yes I'm betting it will be upwards of $1k or more.

So much money :(

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #10

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 27 '13 @ 5:11 AM

Great news everyone!

One of the big problems was that the slowness which occurred with the prior Nexus 7 took device aging to appear – it was great for the first few months, but after you started loading it things tailed off. The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around version 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’ve got a Nexus 7 that feels slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I'm checking on whether the other Nexus devices have also had TRIM support added. I would consider the slow storage aging problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

tacsig513.png

AppleBonker #11

AppleBonker
  • 26 posts
  • Device: VZW GNex, N7

Posted Jul 27 '13 @ 7:00 AM

Great news everyone!

One of the big problems was that the slowness which occurred with the prior Nexus 7 took device aging to appear – it was great for the first few months, but after you started loading it things tailed off. The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around version 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’ve got a Nexus 7 that feels slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I'm checking on whether the other Nexus devices have also had TRIM support added. I would consider the slow storage aging problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

Was hoping you saw that.  Perhaps I'll have to give stock another whirl on grouper in the near future to see how it performs.

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 27 '13 @ 9:17 AM

Great news everyone!

One of the big problems was that the slowness which occurred with the prior Nexus 7 took device aging to appear – it was great for the first few months, but after you started loading it things tailed off. The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around version 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’ve got a Nexus 7 that feels slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I'm checking on whether the other Nexus devices have also had TRIM support added. I would consider the slow storage aging problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

Was hoping you saw that. Perhaps I'll have to give stock another whirl on grouper in the near future to see how it performs.

After we talk I locked it up, unlocked it, then flashed stock 4.2.2. (For some reason 4.3 failed when flashing system?)

Waiting for the OTA. Fiancée loves it so far though lol

• AppleBonker likes this

tacsig513.png

AppleBonker #13

AppleBonker
  • 26 posts
  • Device: VZW GNex, N7

Posted Jul 27 '13 @ 10:14 AM

Let me know how 4.3 does once upgraded.  I'll use yours as my guinea pig.

7stringer #14

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:42 AM

I meant to bring my N7 to work. I want to take it back to stock and check out 4.3 from the OTA. 

I have the Rickets! 

dmmarck #15

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:52 AM

Let me know how 4.3 does once upgraded.  I'll use yours as my guinea pig.

Will do.  If it wasn't now my fiancee's, I'd be closing framework services and forcing it lol.

I meant to bring my N7 to work. I want to take it back to stock and check out 4.3 from the OTA. 

Do it.

tacsig513.png

Treknologist #16

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 7:19 PM

Looks like Android 4.3 supports TRIM and this should help improve performance of all Nexus devices, including the first gen N7.  Have a look:

http://phandroid.com...id-4-3-lag-fix/

http://www.androidce...l-now-have-trim

• 7stringer likes this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png