creccaj #1

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 8:01 AM

Why I Went Bought a Nexus 4

medium01-2.jpg

It would seem like I am buying a device from the past.  Especially now when you can buy a new aged phone with stock Android that will be getting updates quicker from their OEM manufacturers.  Why would I want to buy last year’s technology for the same price that it was last year?  Why would I want to get a smaller or “inferior” screen, battery and in some cases build?  Well, all these questions can be answered by one thing.  I was missing something from my phone.  With the HTC One I had a gorgeous device that was all wrapped in a single piece of aluminum with booming sound and a great screen.  However, something was missing.  Something I just couldn’t put my finger on, it wasn't a specific feature that could be a value added by any OEM.  Then I finally realized what it was, I was missing the lack of value added features.  I was missing a stock Android experience that I would be able to truly customize to what I want and how I want.  True freedom, true playground experience… in end I wanted a true Google phone.

I am sure many of you, even my colleagues here will call me crazy, stupid, irrational and probably even worse things but in the end I wasn’t fully happy with my HTC One.  For the past 4 months, I have been trying to find reasons to love it and keep it but the past month and a half I was getting to the point I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to keep it much longer because I felt like something was missing from the phone that I couldn't get.  Yes, the HTC One has a good developer community.  That being said, nothing compares to the development community of a Nexus and there is no argument there.  Ever since I had the Galaxy Nexus, I fell in love the Nexus devices.  If Verizon had a Nexus 4, I would have never switched to AT&T.  Now you can ask, why didn’t I get a Nexus 4 when I originally switched to AT&T?  Long story short, the pattern of events that led me to leave Verizon and go to AT&T had me in a state of mind that wasn’t very clear.  I was so enraged at what Verizon did that I would do anything to break from them and move on with my life.  It wasn’t till a day or two later that I actually thought to myself “Oh shit… I could have bought a Nexus 4.”  While that would have been the best time to buy one since I was still in the 14 day return window, I was still loving the HTC One in all its aluminum and Sense 5 glory. 

So what changed?  What made me ditch one of the most popular devices of the year for a device with last gen specs?  The short version… software.  The long version, well that may take a while to explain so be prepared for a ride…

Where it all Began…

droidfroyo.jpg

My Android journey started with the OG Motorola Droid.  That started me down the road of Android, but my love for Android didn’t truly blossom until I got the Galaxy Nexus.  While I had many phones between them, I didn’t fully understand the power that Android could have.  That all changed with the Galaxy Nexus, and to this day it is still my all-time favorite device.  Once I discovered the world of Rooting, Unlocking and Flashing custom ROMs, Kernels and Software I was hooked.  There was a time that I would flash nightly CM10 or AOKP builds daily, or even 2-3 times a day.  My girlfriend thought I was nuts and my coworkers couldn’t keep up with what I was doing to my phone on any specific day.  Best part was, I found it fun to try out different ROMs and kernels to find that perfect set up. 

After the Galaxy Nexus, I replaced it with a variety of devices but I always kept going back to ole’ faithful.  To me, nothing compared.  Then the time came when I switched to AT&T because of the HTC One and my interest in that phone and I decided to pull the trigger and go for it.  I was amazed by the device for the first 2 months, mainly because HTC appeared to have made a good phone (no, the Thunderbolt was not a good phone).  But after the initial excitement wore off, I was left with a gorgeous looking phone that bored me.  After a month of contemplation and researching, I finally purchased a 16gb Nexus 4, which arrived today, on my birthday of all days. 

My New Nexus…

I set the device up, unlocked it, rooted it on 4.2.2 and then flashed 4.3 with root and now I am using the Nexus 4 as my primary device.  After using the device the good part of the day I can say that the Nexus 4 hasn’t lost any of its magic that I fell in love with from the Galaxy Nexus.  Yes, I lost LTE capabilities but that doesn’t bother me that much considering the fact that my work and home areas don’t have AT&T LTE yet.  Aside from the fact that I don’t have LTE and last year’s top tier tech I cannot see much of a downside to this device.  Updates come instantly from Google when they are released, developer support is next to none, tweaking is almost unlimited and most of all the price that is roughly half the price of full retail phones.

Screenshot_2013-07-28-11-54-29_zps5cf9a7

The the HTC One is an incredible device, there is no arguing that.  The phone isn’t without its flaws though and those flaws brought me to make the decision to switch.  First off, Sense 5 is what it is.  You either like it or you don’t and that is the way with most “skins” over Android.  Sense 5 is much better than Touch Wiz in my opinion and if those were the only two options out there I would be on the Sense 5 bandwagon in a heartbeat.  Some of the value added features of Sense are great and make the device a worthy choice, but for me most of those features died after about a month. In the end I was craving something more vanilla.  I was craving something that I knew all too well.  I was craving stock Android and nothing else would do.

Something about stock just feels right and feels natural to me.  While it may not be for everyone, it just seems like it is the best way to experience Android and all it has to offer.  Glass and all (I personally love the glass) the Nexus 4 is the best representation of what Google intended.  Stock Android runs smooth as butter, and has everything that you need and nothing that you don’t and the simplicity ends up being absolutely gorgeous.  Nothing beats a totally clean looking device, inside and outside that performs like the new aged phone even though it is running last generation’s hardware. 

Quality over Quantity…

In the end I am more intrigued by the software side of the phone rather than the hardware.  Take the S4 for example.  It is a prime example of what a phone can be if it had all the best parts available.  That being said, it’s like putting lipstick on a pig.  Touch Wiz destroys the hardware to the point that it actually makes a 1.9Ghz Quad Core with 2GB of RAM lag.  If you told someone that a year ago when the Nexus came out, they would look at you and say no fucking way those components would lag.  I have no issues when it comes to lag on the HTC One, but I have experienced other strange issues that ruined the overall experience.  Random reboots to the bootloader and battery draining from 20-30% to 0% in 2 seconds which happened 4 times since I bought the phone.  Stupid glitches like that bug the hell out of me and should not happen as often as it does.  It was a great phone that had its flaws like everything else but when you throw the flaws on top of my discontent with Sense it ended up being a recipe for change.  To me it’s all about quality over quantity.  It doesn’t take much to make Android run smooth and the Nexus is proof of that.  It has a slower CPU compared to the new phones and yet it runs just as quick and smooth as the top devices of today.  A phone doesn’t need a feature list that is longer than the ingredients list of a McDonald’s McRib sandwich.  Sometimes, simplicity is better.

So what am I going to be doing with my HTC One?  Well I am plan on keeping it for the time being as a backup device considering that I plan to tweak, flash and mod the Nexus 4 and just in case of anything I will have a fall back.

My New Crowd…

google-nexus-family-devices-600x363.png

LG came out with the Nexus 4 and it has been an immediate success among the enthusiast community and will always have a following until the next Nexus comes out.  Flaws and all the Nexus is probably one of the top devices out on the market today next to the HTC One and Galaxy S4 which is saying something considering it was last year’s phone that is still going strong.  The Nexus stands in a class of its own, stands in its own glory and has its own loyal following.  I now can say that I am part of that following and I feel like this is where I should have been since the beginning.  

• Cory Streater, N3xs and zero neck like this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

dmmarck #2

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 8:21 AM

You'll have a Moto X in a week.

• Cory Streater, Cyber Warrior, creccaj and 3 others like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 10:26 AM

I'm always tempted to make the switch from Verizon and go out and grab a Nexus 4.I think it's a great looking phone, I just wish it had LTE.. Actually isn't there some type of hack to enable the LTE radio within the device? It could be T-Mobile, I forget what I was reading on it.

I really hope they do something cool, similar with the Nexus 5 design, I really like that glass look.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jessesmith888 #4

Jessesmith888
  • 98 posts

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 5:41 PM

I got my first taste of Nexus on Verizon. The galaxy Nexus was everything I thought it would be on Verizon. So yeah.... I switched to At&t and got the Nexus 4. Couldn't be happier! I have the means to buy any phone that comes out (money set aside for a phone) but I will definitely wait for Google to put out another Nexus because I see no reason to switch right now.

Updated by Jessesmith888, Jul 28 '13 @ 6:09 PM.

zero neck #5

zero neck
  • The Ever-Living
  • 63 posts
  • Device: One.

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 6:49 PM

ahhahahah yeah he will

creccaj #6

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 6:22 AM

I'm always tempted to make the switch from Verizon and go out and grab a Nexus 4.I think it's a great looking phone, I just wish it had LTE.. Actually isn't there some type of hack to enable the LTE radio within the device? It could be T-Mobile, I forget what I was reading on it.

I really hope they do something cool, similar with the Nexus 5 design, I really like that glass look.

yes they have hybrid radios that open up the capabilities for TMo LTE.  So far I am loving this phone, 4.3 is nice and smooth, more so than 4.2.2 and battery life over 4.2.2 has been a good improvement.  Too early to tell, haven't had a "normal" day with it yet though.  

ahhahahah yeah he will

Damn straight.  What else would I spend my money on?

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 6:24 AM

yes they have hybrid radios that open up the capabilities for TMo LTE.  So far I am loving this phone, 4.3 is nice and smooth, more so than 4.2.2 and battery life over 4.2.2 has been a good improvement.  Too early to tell, haven't had a "normal" day with it yet though.  

ahhahahah yeah he will

Damn straight.  What else would I spend my money on?

Something rational. lol

tacsig513.png

creccaj #8

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 8:02 AM

What 24 year old buys rational things?

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #9

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 8:53 AM

Good point. This was me at your age: http://www.sprintuse...ead.php?t=14134
  • creccaj, 7stringer and N3xs like this

dmmarck #10

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 8:56 AM

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

• xdalaw likes this

tacsig513.png

7stringer #11

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 9:42 AM

This.

Oh my, Cory. I love this. 

"The 8100 GUI utilizes a much better font and menu pattern than any other phone I’ve used. The screen is crisper & brighter than even the A500. When compared to the 5300 & 4900 it looks like I’ve stepped up to HDTV! Pictures on CNN (more on Vision below) are so clear you can actually see the detail of the photograph. " 

hahahahahaha

Updated by 7stringer, Aug 1 '13 @ 9:43 AM.

I have the Rickets! 

C Sab #12

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:17 PM

Samsung is my choice for smartphones, but as for tablets I'm on the Nexus side. So welcome.

• dmmarck likes this

creccaj #13

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 2 '13 @ 7:39 PM

Samsung is my choice for smartphones, but as for tablets I'm on the Nexus side. So welcome.

Wish I could say the same because I really love the screen on the Galaxy S4 but can't stand Touch Wiz. Love what LG and more importantly Google with the Nexus 4. Yes it might be last gen but it runs just as smooth as current generation phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #14

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 9:25 PM

Wish I could say the same because I really love the screen on the Galaxy S4 but can't stand Touch Wiz. Love what LG and more importantly Google with the Nexus 4. Yes it might be last gen but it runs just as smooth as current generation phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So it's been like 2 months in creccaj phone years. How do you feel about it now?

creccaj #15

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 3:36 AM

My SIM card is still in it :P.  Does that say something?

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #16

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 3:51 AM

Yeah lol

dmmarck #17

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 5:39 AM

Honaaaami

tacsig513.png

creccaj #18

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 5:49 AM

Honaaaami

You keep saying that but I give the chances of it coming to the US with still top-end components slim to almost none.  Que Xperia Z. I agree I am very intrigued by Honami but I have almost no faith in Sony.  

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #19

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 5:57 AM

Honaaaami

You keep saying that but I give the chances of it coming to the US with still top-end components slim to almost none.  Que Xperia Z. I agree I am very intrigued by Honami but I have almost no faith in Sony.  

It'll come and it'll be perfect, shut yo mouf.

tacsig513.png

creccaj #20

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 7:23 AM

Honaaaami

It'll come and it'll be perfect, shut yo mouf.

We shall see.  

tacsig513.png