Started by dmmarck ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 7:14 PM

Anyone out there have one?  Well, my compadres, heed this cautionary tale.  And this thread.

This phone is not truly waterproof/resistant!!!!!

First off I want to start this off buy saying a few things. I work for AT&T so before anyone says its from improper usage remember I had to watch training videos on how to properly use it. Also, before anyone says well, you aren't really supposed to be using it in the water, you are wrong. The first thing we are trained on is how to properly close the back cover and how to show the customers Aqua mode to take pictures underwater. We actively use this as a main selling point, this is per Samsung.

Here is my story. I bought the Active on Thursday. The first thing I did with it was ensure the back was closed and made a video in my fish tank so I could show customers how it works underwater, and how good aqua mode is. That worked out perfectly except the video was a little dark, so I figured I would retake it.

In this time I had a customer swap out the phone they bought because it were defective, the bottom buttons stopped working on it. She was very vague when the water question came up but I thought nothing of it.

Now cue today. It was sunny outside so I thought it was the perfect time to reshoot the fish tank video. I ensured the back was secure, yes, including pressing down on the back where the AT&T logo is. I then submerged the phone in the tank while taking the video. Almost instantly the phone screen went black and said dock mode was enabled so I took the phone out of the water and everything went back to normal. I double checked the USB rubber to be sure. I just chalked it up to the phone doing crazy things in the water. I have read almost everywhere that the phone will say headphones are plugged in, etc. So I thought this was normal. I then put it back in and took a minute long video. Everything was fine. I even played back the video and it was fully working.

This is where everything went wrong. About 2 minutes later the phone started tweaking out, Google now opened on its own and the buttons were really sensitive. Then the buttons completely stopped working other than the power button and that's when I freaked out. I opened the battery cover and there it was, everything was soaked. but luckily none of the water damage indicators were colored. I then opened the USB door and it was like a fountain, so that's where the breach happened. The flimsy, rubber USB door. I did not tell a soul what happened and went back to work and swapped it for a regular Galaxy S4.

So please listen to my warning. There are way too many people getting this phone damaged, including me, a fully trained AT&T employee who took the proper precautions before doing anything.

Samsung should not be able to get away with calling this phone water resistant or water proof, and they should especially not include an Aqua Camera mode.

Also the warranty DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT COVER WATER!!!!

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 7:36 PM

Hmm, wow. This is why I can never own a phone like this. I would be too paranoid to submerge any electronic device under water, unless it were disposable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 28 '13 @ 8:09 PM

Hmm, wow. This is why I can never own a phone like this. I would be too paranoid to submerge any electronic device under water, unless it were disposable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Agreed. Even if they tell me it'd withstand a grenade, I'd rather not test it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tacsig513.png

creccaj #4

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 8:22 AM

I would think that Samsung came up with the idea for the purpose of someone dropping it in the a sink, puddle or dare I say toilet and grabbing it right away with no worries.  Not shooting videos with the damn thing when its under water.

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

dmmarck #5

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:00 PM

I would think that Samsung came up with the idea for the purpose of someone dropping it in the a sink, puddle or dare I say toilet and grabbing it right away with no worries.  Not shooting videos with the damn thing when its under water.

Apparently that's the case; it's AT&T that said it's water proof instead of the more appropriate water resistant.  Oh well, fuck 'em both. ;)

tacsig513.png

Lee Bo #6

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 6:06 PM

Gotta love the catch 22.  Samsung claims the phone is waterproof, but if it gets wet it's not covered under warranty.  :-)

Twitter: @Android_Lee

creccaj #7

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 5:25 AM

Apparently that's the case; it's AT&T that said it's water proof instead of the more appropriate water resistant.  Oh well, fuck 'em both. ;)

Well shit now I guess I can't go buy one and go swimming with the sharks trying to film a clip for shark week with my S4 active...

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

lpt2569 #8

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 5:40 AM

I would think that Samsung came up with the idea for the purpose of someone dropping it in the a sink, puddle or dare I say toilet and grabbing it right away with no worries. Not shooting videos with the damn thing when its under water.

Apparently that's the case; it's AT&T that said it's water proof instead of the more appropriate water resistant. Oh well, fuck 'em both. ;)

Well shit now I guess I can't go buy one and go swimming with the sharks trying to film a clip for shark week with my S4 active...

Sure you can...but neither you or the phone will get out of the water without serious damage. :o
  • creccaj likes this

creccaj #9

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 9:48 AM

I would think that Samsung came up with the idea for the purpose of someone dropping it in the a sink, puddle or dare I say toilet and grabbing it right away with no worries. Not shooting videos with the damn thing when its under water.

Apparently that's the case; it's AT&T that said it's water proof instead of the more appropriate water resistant. Oh well, fuck 'em both. ;)

Sure you can...but neither you or the phone will get out of the water without serious damage. :o

Aww man I really wanted to go in the ocean with the Active S4, have a shark swim towards me and as I take a shot say smile you son of a bitch.  

• lpt2569 likes this

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #10

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 10:05 AM

Aww man I really wanted to go in the ocean with the Active S4, have a shark swim towards me and as I take a shot say smile you son of a bitch.

You're gonna need a bigger phone.
  • dmmarck and creccaj like this

Cory Streater #11

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 31 '13 @ 7:46 AM

It seems to me that the person you quoted would have a good case against at&t/Samsung:

• dmmarck likes this

creccaj #12

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:02 PM

Why in gods green earth do we need waterproof smart phones??  I get the idea of water resistant, that has a good place in the world considering people can have accidents or are just careless.  But there is no need to go swimming with your device (on purpose) and expect it to be perfectly fine.  I wanted to water cool my computer, would I just take freezing cold water and dump it in there with all the parts, hell no!  I would buy everything and water cool it carefully by using a medium to channel the temperature of the liquid to the parts.  

I feel like common sense is a major factor that is lacking here... 

tacsig513.png

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 4:49 PM

Why in gods green earth do we need waterproof smart phones??  I get the idea of water resistant, that has a good place in the world considering people can have accidents or are just careless.  But there is no need to go swimming with your device (on purpose) and expect it to be perfectly fine.  I wanted to water cool my computer, would I just take freezing cold water and dump it in there with all the parts, hell no!  I would buy everything and water cool it carefully by using a medium to channel the temperature of the liquid to the parts.  

How else am I gonna take pics of bikini girls' asses at public pools when they're swimming? D:

creccaj #14

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 10:56 AM

How else am I gonna take pics of bikini girls' asses at public pools when they're swimming? D:

Touché.  Could always ask :P

tacsig513.png

C Sab #15

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 11:58 AM

Touché.  Could always ask :P

Been there, doesn't usually work out well. :P

creccaj #16

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 12:39 PM

All it takes is 1 time to work ;)

tacsig513.png

Lee Bo #17

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 2:30 PM

Exactly right.  Unfortunately the conversation I had with the "barbarian brothers" right after this wasn't pleasant.

Image1076475.png

Twitter: @Android_Lee

C Sab #18

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 4:00 PM

Exactly right.  Unfortunately the conversation I had with the "barbarian brothers" right after this wasn't pleasant.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3095...

Yup, with hot girls in bikinis usually comes the oversized steroid gorillas who overcompensate their lack of any real strength or toughness with pure mass in a pathetic attempt at intimidation.

Looks like those girls let you take a pic (I could be mistaken but that's the vibe I'm getting so those dipshits really can't say anything.

Updated by Griever2011, Aug 12 '13 @ 4:01 PM.